Tax Parcel Website

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Now when I go to the state tax parcel website I get this message and the tax parcels no longer show up.

parcel1.jpg

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Maybe this? They said the parcels were going to be retired at the end of April but it wasn't clear which services were going to be affected. OTOH, they might just be doing work on their systems over the weekend, they had a scheduled shutdown for awhile on Thursday.

https://forums.njpinebarrens.com/threads/nj-tax-lot-maps.14034/#post-168799

"The NJ Office of GIS will be retiring the Municipal Property Search map service at or around Friday, April 29, 2022. There are no plans for replacement at this time."

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
This is (evidently) the layer that caused the error

If you click the "Open in Map Viewer" link the layer loads but is un-checked. You can check it and zoom way in and see the parcels. There's a time slider at the bottom of the map, have not seen that before. But I had to drag the end time to 2022 before the parcels showed. And there are no labels on the parcels, just the geometry.

[edit]OK, I see, you need to click on a parcel to view the information. You can also choose different maps, like aerials from the Basemap button at the top.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I got the parcels to show. Will play more from what you said.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It is working but not as easy and basic as the other site. I assume they are eliminating that site and we will have to use this. Maybe.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I get your error when I go here. Is that the site you have been using?

This is the link that @dragoncjo posted in that other thread, had not seen it before. One nice thing about it is you can link to specific places on the map

The "about" link says it is hosted by Rowan University

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: manumuskin

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I would give it a little time, could just be some configuration problem that they will fix when everyone comes back to work on Monday.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I would give it a little time, could just be some configuration problem that they will fix when everyone comes back to work on Monday.
I have an email in to the man who has responded to me multiple times.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Yes, I informed them and they did not know about it. Then they wrote back and said it would be fixed today.

Reactions: Boyd

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
There's no reason to expect that to change, unless the law changes...

Redaction of owner names from parcels and tax list database
In compliance with the provisions and protections afforded the personally identifiable information of certain persons, as enacted by Daniel’s Law (P.L. 2020, c. 125), the NJ Office of GIS has redacted owner names from all hosted parcels and tax list database downloads, map services and applications.

https://njgin.nj.gov/njgin/edata/parcels/#!/

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Just noticed that NJGIN has a new "Property Explorer" app in beta now. Didn't really spend any time, so it's not clear to me what is new. Of course, it still doesn't show owner names.

https://newjersey.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=3a4290e1b3d64094a8b8a127965ab43a

View attachment 17884
All I want them to do is tell me if owner is one of these classes: Federally owned, State owned, County owned, Township owned, Non-profit conservation firm owned, Business owned, Private party owned, or other class.

Reactions: Menantico

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford
Interesting, the law referenced (Daniel's Law) only relates to redaction of information of some covered classes of people (law enforcement, judges, etc) from state-owned websites. But it looks like they've taken a much broader approach and just redacted everyone's information? I suppose that would be less effort, although over-broad.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Yes, they just removed all the names. Not likely that NJOGIS would have information about the occupations of property owners. And what if somebody gets hired as a policeman or appointed as a judge? Not reasonable to expect them to update the map that frequently. So I think they really had remove the names of all private citizens, although it would have been possible to leave ownership information for public land.

Personally, I discontinued my own two maps of the Pines that contained parcel data. The whole thing is just a can of worms now and I don't want the exposure. There's more discussion of the name redaction in this thread:

https://forums.njpinebarrens.com/th...-searching-2021-2022.13888/page-3#post-167225

Reactions: stiltzkin

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I wanted to point out that the link to the Wildlife Management Areas shows they've really been working on thier maps. You click on one map and you can move over to any of them, and now they have much more robust separation between property owners. For instance, in the snip below, the bright green is Bass River State Forest, the faded green is Stafford Forge Wildlife Management area, and there is a break showing 'other' ownership with no colors. It will also show block and lot in most cases. It's not perfect, but it's a good start.

1675186344260.png

Reactions: Boyd

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Received this notice from a fellow surveyor last week:

I haven't heard anything about any other counties following suit but it may be just a matter of time. Back to the stone ages and
back to using our paid research service for Gloucester County. :(

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
No matter who made the decision to put the records online, the taxpayers paid for it and now they are removing it. All that money and time wasted.