The big Burn

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Bob, Scott, and I have met Reelboys in the middle of the woods, and by middle I mean it. He stood there with an ax in his hands while we argued with him. I was thinking the three of us could take him even though I am sure we would have suffered some injuries. Things calmed down and in the end he was right and we were wrong. Since then it has been all uphill :)

Guy

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
A photo of that road where they gouged it wider. A real mess they make of things, and they destroyed some Broom Crowberry.

watermark.php

Wow, they sure did make a mess of the road. I can understand the reasoning for making the road wider to better act as a fire break between Coyle Field and Warren Grove, but what's the reasoning for plowing what was once a relatively hard gravel road?

As for running over the crowberry, this past Spring the road leading into and area surrounding the FAA navigation center off Beaver Dam was cut clear of any pine saplings that were attempting to grow. I didn't notice any long lasting damage to the crowberry. Although much more devastating, the cutting along Red rd, I think the crowberry will survive and in fact flourish now that it is exposed from under the pine canopy.

Teegate, unbeknown to you and the others, Reelboys was not alone that day and if an altercation would have ensued the 3 of you just might have been overwhelmed by the outcome. Never ASSUME anything! BTW, were those your and your wife's footprints last winter on that overgrown sand rd along 72 and behind the house on that deadened road that ends in a circle?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Although much more devastating, the cutting along Red rd, I think the crowberry will survive and in fact flourish now that it is exposed from under the pine canopy.

Aye Matey, you have a point there. It'd be great if they helped everything flourish there by removing everything down to bare sand. They left great hunks of roots and such.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Teegate, unbeknown to you and the others, Reelboys was not alone that day and if an altercation would have ensued the 3 of you just might have been overwhelmed by the outcome. Never ASSUME anything! BTW, were those your and your wife's footprints last winter on that overgrown sand rd along 72 and behind the house on that deadened road that ends in a circle?

We actually did know others were there because we heard the bikes later. But at the time we ran into him he was alone so it would have been one against three. We could have all three hopped on his bike and been out of there in no time. Imagine that sight :)

Right after things calmed down and we walked away, Scott noticed he had lost his glove and we headed back. I was always wondering what reelboys was thinking when we started walking back to him. Then we had to pass him again on the way back. It sure was a strange day for sure. In the end I am glad we met.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
BTW, were those your and your wife's footprints last winter on that overgrown sand rd along 72 and behind the house on that deadened road that ends in a circle?

Scott, Bob, and I were there that day. If it was not that day it was not me.

Guy

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
We could have all three hopped on his bike and been out of there in no time. Imagine that sight :)

In the end I am glad we met.

Guy

LOL, that trail is one tough nut for a bike and even the expert AA riders come out of there panting and bikes steaming. If the 3 of you can hop on a bike and ride out lickety split, you guys are missing your calling. In fact I'll have Reelboys bring his bike, we can meet up and I want to take video of the 3 of you on a bike hightailing it out of there. That would be priceless.

BTW, he wasn't exactly alone. Besides others farther behind I just happened to be off the trail when the 3 of you passed. Not knowing what was going to happen I just observed at a distance. We also were in communication via radio so maybe while Reelboys couldn't have called for help I certainly could have while moving to his aid. In the end we're all glad it worked out for the best and we've been sharing info since. The point I am trying to make. When out in the woods never take anything for granted or at face value, you just never know.

As for the footprints. It wasn't that day. I don't remember when, Jan or Feb. I noticed fresh prints when we were scouting. The ground was usually frozen but there was a brief warm spell and the ground softened then refroze. One week nothing, the next footprints. I figured it was a hunter and his son scouting but latter on after talking with you and knowing that you "get around" realized the footprints could very well be a man and wife.

All is good.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
le moving to his aid. In the end we're all glad it worked out for the best and we've been sharing info since. The point I am trying to make. When out in the woods never take anything for granted or at face value, you just never know.

As for the footprints. It wasn't that day. I don't remember when, Jan or Feb. I noticed fresh prints when we were scouting. The ground was usually frozen but there was a brief warm spell and the ground softened then refroze. One week nothing, the next footprints. I figured it was a hunter and his son scouting but latter on after talking with you and knowing that you "get around" realized the footprints could very well be a man and wife.

All is good.

I drove down 72 one day and looked over at the house and there was someone on that path. There were no cars around so someone is going there from maybe your trail.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
LOL, that trail is one tough nut for a bike and even the expert AA riders come out of there panting and bikes steaming. If the 3 of you can hop on a bike and ride out lickety split, you guys are missing your calling. In fact I'll have Reelboys bring his bike, we can meet up and I want to take video of the 3 of you on a bike hightailing it out of there. That would be priceless.

:) That would be funny.....like the 3 stooges.

Both Scott and I have owned woods bikes, off and on. I had an old 72 Yamaha Enduro and a mid-70's Hodaka Combat Wombat, in addition to my 200 suzuki. I really love riding and may do it again. I never did do any enduro's though. It takes a lot of dedication and practice to do that, and I was just not up to it.

While I walked that trail, I noticed all the little shrubbie "nub"s sticking up, and wondered how the tires fared against those, not to mention the curses of the riders.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Not to hijack the thread, but Bob said he had a Hodaka Combat Wombat, I too owned one of these beasts in 125 CC in all of it's chrome gas tanked glory! I have never seen another one much less heard of anyone else that owned one! We used to ride at what is now the defunct ORV (sorry) park in Chatsworth before it was the ORV park! I used to get parts for it in Hammonton at what is now Fastenall on the pike.

I wish I had kept it. For some reason I lost first gear and did not bother to get it fixed. Here is one for sale.

http://syracuse.craigslist.org/mcy/1325824273.html

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
:) While I walked that trail, I noticed all the little shrubbie "nub"s sticking up, and wondered how the tires fared against those, not to mention the curses of the riders.

That day you happened onto Reelboys, the crew was cleaning those nubs to ground level. I haven't ridden an event in probably 15 years but I enjoy helping out. I now trailride and explore. If you still ride and want to hook up your welcome to come along, just make sure you and the bike are legal.

Teegate, it doesn't matter who it was, and I don't believe they came from the trail unless you know differently. I was just curious because of their configuration. To say the least it is certainly a path less traveled and their being there had purpose even if for exploring which is what it appeared to be.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
:) That would be funny.....like the 3 stooges.

Both Scott and I have owned woods bikes, off and on. I had an old 72 Yamaha Enduro and a mid-70's Hodaka Combat Wombat, in addition to my 200 suzuki. I really love riding and may do it again.

I too still love woods riding Bob, Reelboys and 1Jerseydevil.
I started in the mid 70's on a friend's 400 Suzuki Cyclone MX bike.
My first new bike was a 1976 Yamaha DT-400 followed by a 1978 DT-400 with the mono shock.

Street legal DT's were nice but I longed for arm ripping, eye crossing torque and bought a brand new 1983 CR-480R two weeks before my wedding.
I was in heaven.
That went over real well with the inlaws but they're dead now so wo cares ?
Actually, my father-in-law was a nice guy and my wife ended up getting a bike too to ride with me for a short time which he found fascinating.
I drug the 480 around in the back of my truck and rode stealth in the big woods until I parked the bike a few years ago.

I still have big red the 480, a bike a friend of mine nicknamed The Exorcist for its angry bark.
It needs some minor carb work that a neighbor will do when I make the call.
For now, the bride and I cruise around on my Harley Davidson 96 c.i. FLSTN.
Too heavy for the woods but it has crossed my mind.
Scott

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
Bobpbx
When did you take that picture of Red Rd? Reelboys and I were out walking, yes walking to see how that trail is fairing. Amazing that the growth is about 2 feet and in a few cases almost 4 feet. I guess this has been an exceptional growing season. We also noticed some mouse or mole? holes on the trail.

Back to topic. With the exception of the new shoulders the gravel road itself looked like it has for the last year or so, nothing like in your picture. What I'm saying is apparently the traffic has packed down the gravel?

Do you know why they left a couple of areas uncut where it is ribboned? I doubt because of private property because what I know is private has the shoulder and in fact wider on the conservation and Haines property. Since they left the large pines maybe the cutting is more of a means to control the over growth encroaching the road? We asked Lucielle but she knew nothing about it but said she would ask the forest service guys when they come in for lunch.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I looked down it from 72 as I passed recently and it did not seem that bad. I would have to agree it was just to keep the brush back and making it harder for fires to cross.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Bobpbx
When did you take that picture of Red Rd? Reelboys and I were out walking, yes walking to see how that trail is fairing. Amazing that the growth is about 2 feet and in a few cases almost 4 feet. I guess this has been an exceptional growing season. We also noticed some mouse or mole? holes on the trail.

Back to topic. With the exception of the new shoulders the gravel road itself looked like it has for the last year or so, nothing like in your picture. What I'm saying is apparently the traffic has packed down the gravel?

Do you know why they left a couple of areas uncut where it is ribboned? I doubt because of private property because what I know is private has the shoulder and in fact wider on the conservation and Haines property. Since they left the large pines maybe the cutting is more of a means to control the over growth encroaching the road? We asked Lucielle but she knew nothing about it but said she would ask the forest service guys when they come in for lunch.

JD: It was August 7 this year. Here are a few more photos, and a surprise photo for Guy (I found some sort of large conical-shaped base (or some such) off to the side, you can see the bolts). I also show broom crowberry. I too noticed the untouched spots. I'm betting they got a guy who knows plants to rope off where he can see crowberry. He missed a few.

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
JD: Here are a few more photos, and a surprise photo for Guy (I found some sort of large conical-shaped base (or some such) off to the side, you can see the bolts).

I suspect that is something someone dumped there. The only other locations I have viewed monuments with bolts in them are the old Union County line which does not quite make it there. And they are not cone shaped. Can you send me an approximate location of where this is so Jess and I can check it out?

Guy