The big Burn

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
(I found some sort of large conical-shaped base (or some such) off to the side, you can see the bolts).
watermark.php

Funny you mention that concrete footing. That was one of the main attractions Reelboys wanted me to see. At first I was curious as to what it was. After close examination it is nothing more than a footing for a tower leg or large sign, etc. The conical portion is the footing which is a hole dug in the ground and where the bolts are was above ground and a wood form made to square off and smooth the top.

Yes I believe it was dumped there also. Maybe from across the street. That used to be a gas station [sign]? That particular corner is also private property and is owned by the person that owns that complex across the street. Ever notice the Ocean Front sigh? If you look on old 1930's aerial photo's you'll see that that entire corner on both sides of Red Rd was once a "borrow" pit which as you know lends itself to dumping. I have found other trash deep in the woods there that makes no sense on how it got there. This just goes to show how nature will reclaim and heal itself. That entire corner is "new" growth. If you go directly across Red Rd to the West side, the hills are still evident from the mining operation. I believe all this was done when they built Rt 72 because there are stretches where 72 is elevated above the natural nearby contour.

Not trying to start a flame war or anything but some of you worry just a bit to much. All this save this and save that. While I don't disagree, I take a realistic approach. Yes the crowberry may be endangered here. You fail to comprehend that if Red rd or the FAA navigation site which are both man made, did not exist neither would the crowberry in those areas. Once again nature is taking her course healing and in this case with an endangered species. Everything needs to be taken as a whole and not looked at through a microscopic tunnel vision. What may initially appear bad may indeed have beneficial effects in a way not imagined.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The gas station was named Heneckers. It had a large weeping willow in front of it. I have a photo of that tree, the phone booth, and the sign. Never posted it. Gas was 55.9 a gallon.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Not trying to start a flame war or anything but some of you worry just a bit to much......You fail to comprehend....

I love debating ideas and topics JD, it makes life interesting. But sometimes its not what you say but how you say it. I usually do not "fail" to understand things unless its a complex topic like Partial Differential equations (or the person does not explain something to me so I can understand it).