The end of Garmin Basecamp

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Yes indeed, but they are not alone. Just about every software company stops supporting something at some point.

I have no problem with the idea of dropping support for old software, that's just what you have to expect today. But this is a bit different.... Garmin carelessly broke it and then immediately pulled the plug without fixing their mistake. So a user could have been happily sending maps to their GPS. The very next day, using the same computer, same operating system and same GPS, they get a message about Basecamp auto-updating. Now they cannot send maps anymore, Garmin has no method for downgrading and if you call them I'm sure you get the standard "sorry, but we don't provide support for problems with third party maps".

Reactions: 46er

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I would advise anyone contemplating opening any of those links to virus scan it first.

UPDATE: Another member at gpsfiledepot contacted the owner of that site - Allory Deiss. He has fixed the problem with the root URL, and now it just redirects you to GPSInformation.net. Allory has this page at GPSinformation net,

http://gpsinformation.net/allory/garfeat3.htm

It contains a link that takes you to a terms and conditions page before you get to the list of Garmin software. This probably won't fill you with confidence, LOL ;)

"Your use of any Garmin files accessed through this site is at your sole risk."

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I strictly use aerials so as long as Birdseye works I am good. I gave up on Basecamp a long time ago and use Google Earth Pro exclusively.

Interesting to note, the new GPSMap66 (Garmin's newest handheld) includes a lifetime Birdseye subscription. You download BIrdseye directly to the GPS using built-in wifi. Again, this points the way to Garmin's new system where Basecamp is not needed and can be replaced with their web portal (plus their mobile app).

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/598455

Lots of bugs with this new device however (as usual). ;)

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Santa left a Garmin DezlCam unit for my youngest son, ho, ho, ho, for his work. Pretty impressive; he adds a truck profile and it warns him of low bridges, bridge weight limits, etc, etc.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I have a Dezl 760, which is an earlier generation with a 7" screen. I never used the truck features, I had it set for automotive mode. That's a bit of a nuisance, since every time you start it, you get dire warnings that you are in automotive mode and won't be warned of those low bridges. I got it because it was the only 2012 model with a 7" screen that supported a hack I developed to design your own screen layout. Garmin has completely eliminated that feature now however.

I don't use it anymore, I have a DriveSmart 61which is more compact, has a much nicer 7" screen and a faster processor. But the Dezl models are certainly nice, with lots of features for big trucks, but they're expensive.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Interesting to note, the new GPSMap66 (Garmin's newest handheld) includes a lifetime Birdseye subscription. You download BIrdseye directly to the GPS using built-in wifi. Again, this points the way to Garmin's new system where Basecamp is not needed and can be replaced with their web portal (plus their mobile app).

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/598455

Lots of bugs with this new device however (as usual). ;)

Bob keeps telling me to get rid of my unit and buy a new one. This is one reason I have not purchased.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
It has always taken Garmin 6 to 12 months to iron out the bugs on new units. Usually they get sorted out, but the Monterra (a $700 unit) was never fixed and was eventually discontinued. The GPSMap 276 (an $800 unit) was also really buggy. It is still on the market but the price has gone way down. That model infuriated many of Garmin's most loyal customers.

But I don't want this to sound like I am bashing Garmin, they have many other solid products and have (generally) treated their customers well. But the fact is - if you want a handheld GPS, Garmin in the last man standing. There really are no other companies that make them anymore.

I agree with Bob.... there are a lot of better models available today than your Oregon 450. Newer devices have bigger/better screens, faster processors and can see more satellites. Of course, as long as your old one does what you need, you might as well stick with it. :)

Last edited:

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Of course, as long as your old one does what you need, you might as well stick with it.

upload_2019-1-3_15-43-6.gif

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Truth be told, I asked for and got a Garmin Nuvi 55 for Christmas in 2017. I am shocked at how many times it took me to my location in such a oddball way. And I did set it correctly. Now I'm not saying it's all bad, but when it does something off, it really annoys me. When it does happen, I think of how far Google got ahead of them in mapping. I still use it, because it is okay most of the time, but really, when you buy something like this you want at least 98% accuracy.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
They do come up with some odd routes, no question! I would not blindly trust any route without reviewing it in advance, I've learned that the hard way.

But comparing a cheap little GPS to Google isn't quite fair. You need a smartphone and a data connection to use it. And Google has vast map resources, updated in real time and stored on powerful servers that can evaluate many more route choices than your Nuvi, which has a wimpy little CPU less than half as fast as a phone. The Nuvi packs all of North America into about 3 gigabytes and it can take about a year for road changes to be incorporated into the map.

And, of course, Google is watching everywhere you go and everything you search for, and using it for marketing.

Really, I think you get what you pay for. Today you can get a refurbished Garmin Drive 50 witha 5" screen, lifetime map updates and full warranty for $50. These things have gotten really cheap. https://www.gpscity.com/garmin-drive-50lm-with-us-maps-(certified-refurbished)

Last edited:
Reactions: bobpbx and 46er

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
The Nuvi packs all of North America into about 3 gigabytes and it can take about a year for road changes to be incorporated into the map.

I believe Garmin, and others, get their map data from Here, the old Navteq? I know that's where Chrysler updates come from and they are 2-3 years behind on-the-ground changes. Owned by a bunch of car companies, the majority German.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I believe Garmin, and others, get their map data from Here, the old Navteq?

Yes, they get data from HERE, so it takes awhile for Garmin to create a new map in their own format and that results in a delay of maybe 6 months or more before new roads appear. Nokia bought Navteq, then Microsoft bought Nokia but the maps ended up being bought by a consortium of car companie, presumably with an eye towards map data for self-driving cars.

TomTom devices used map data from Teleatlas and later ended up buying that company. Google also used Teleatlas data in the beginning, but later switched to in-house mapping.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Interesting article here:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/dougne...n-bet-on-heres-mapping-business/#2231b6246343

"after visiting the company’s Berlin headquarters last week to see demonstrations of its latest innovations and to discuss its post-acquisition strategy with key executives, it’s obvious that HERE and its new owners have larger plans for its proprietary maps and services that extend well beyond the car. And while HERE’s maps and data are essential to autonomous driving, they’re an equally crucial component in connected mobility services such as car-sharing and ride-sharing and the company plans to apply them in industries ranging from transport and logistics to utilities."