The Key

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Or at least, a key, and maybe an old one. I found this while mowing on Saturday, partially buried in my back yard. Since I've been mowing that spot for twelve years I presume it was heaved up by last winter's cold temps.

A8Qz1P3.jpg

And here's a shot of the other side...

3Ic1bxp.jpg

The key is about 4" in length. Should have put something in there for scale. I have no idea what it is made of, might be either iron or steel. It appears to have been stamped or cut from a sheet as it is completely flat. Certain aspects of the teeth suggest hand cutting... but that could just be corrosion or a high tolerance for error in stamping. I don't really know.

The curious thing is that our house was constructed in 1983. Prior to that this acre was woodland back to the 60's. The 1930's aerials show us right on the edge of a field, but there is no evidence that there were ever structures here before the house, and the main house for the farm of which this property was a part is easily a quarter mile away. So I am curious as to whether it was actually lost back there after 1983, or whether it dates earlier and perhaps was lost while being carried by a farmer or someone, although it's a large key to be carrying around.

Any key and lock enthusiasts who have an idea?

Reactions: Teegate

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Ha, it never occurred to me that the handle end was a bottle opener, but of course it is. That should put a limit on how old it is, anyway. I searched a lot of images of old keys on the web and didn't find any that were cut from sheet stock like this one. That tends to reinforce the idea that it was perhaps an opener in key form, not a key with an opener on the end. Still not sure, though.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Probably stamped out hundreds; one of those free promotional things you see in a fish bowl at the cash register. Maybe, under the rust, it says Pabst Blue Ribbon :D

Reactions: MarkBNJ

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
A most interesting and puzzling piece.
Behold a key that I have that is a "Real" key that has a bottle opener in it.
it is not a homemade notch kut in a key. note the scalloping around the groove. Worn of course as I put it to many good years of use.
takes a bit to get used to flipping your keyring just right to get it in position and grab the lip off of a pop top but once you get the hang it's easy breezy. Now I gotta put it back on the ring the right way.
Independant Lock Co, of Finchburg Mass.
Passed down in the family.

Attachments

• KEY.jpg
    KEY.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 192

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
I just keep a machined aluminum one from Canals on my keyring.

Preppy,,, but functional.
As long as it gets the job done.

Memory being selective Bob used the fangs from a Pine snake and when one wasn't available he just bit the tops off the longnecks.