The Lure of the Land - A photographic journey through the pine barrens, New Jersey’s

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I am pretty good on bird calls but have had some problem with some of the warblers.Many sound so much alike.I have almost a thousand bird calls on my ipod along with frogs too.I can ID maybe six warblers no problem but have some problem .Do you have a technique for remembering small nuances between bird calls?For isntance i think northern junco's and pine warblers to sound identical.
Al

Bachman's Ivory

Explorer
Oct 27, 2009
Hazlet, Monmouth County, NJ
A lot of it is just memorization, I've been birding since I could walk. One of the best ways is to sort of "humanize" the songs. For example; hooded warbler sings "tawit tawit tawiteeoo" and ovenbird sings "teacher teacher teacher teacher", black-throated blue warbler sings "I am so lazzyyy", black throated green sings "zee zee zoo zoo zeee" blue-winged warbler sings "Beee buzzzzzzzzzzzz" , Prothonorary warbler is a loud emphatic "sweet sweet sweet sweet!" (always a swampy wooded habitat), Yellow warbler is a quick "sweet sweet sweeter than sweet", chestnut-sided warbler sings "pleased, pleased, pleased to MEETCHA." http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Chestnut-sided_Warbler/sounds etc.

I also recommend some of the birding by ear cds. They can help immensely. Once you've narrowed down the song to a few birds you can use process of elimination to narrow it down further. For instance, if I hear what I thought was either a junco, pine warbler, worm-eating warbler, or chipping sparrow (all sound very similar) I'd first start with the fact that juncos rarely spend the spring here. I'd look at the habitat the song is coming from. If it's a pine-oak woods patch I'd rule out chipping sparrow as they tend to stick to slightly more open areas. So now I'm left with pine warbler or worm-eating warbler. I can't separate them by habitat as they both favor similar conditions so I'll go back to the song. Worm-eating should have a dry rattle where as a pine warbler is more of a warble/trill with a slightly "sweet/wet" quality to it.

Hope that helps some.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I occasionally use the humanizing solution.I swear yellowthrotas are saying witchity witchity witchity.I'll have to make a list of these phrases and make up my own if need be.I remember the northern junco is the first wild bird I ever fed by hand so they have a special spot for me.Tehn came the chickadees and sparrows.The blue jay sat next to my leg but would not land on me to eat.the crow would not come closer then six feet.God knows what was walking around on my head.I did have a ble jay land on my shoulder once while sitting motionless in a tree,I of course jumped which scared the jay literally s##tless,he left his calling card on my shoulder.
Thanks for the tip,the photos are amazing,that last one looks like a scene you'd find closer to home for me.
Al

Bachman's Ivory

Explorer
Oct 27, 2009
your welocme:)
welocme... sounds Lenape! Thanks for your service Al! I made this sunset just for you!
This post may be considered north Jersey by some!
This sunset was shot in Belmar 2 nights ago.

Ribbons of Gold by Bachman's Ivory, on Flickr

Jersey Burns by Bachman's Ivory, on Flickr

Marina Sentinals by Bachman's Ivory, on Flickr

Silent Ships by Bachman's Ivory, on Flickr

Crabbing in Normandy Beach-

Crabbing by Bachman's Ivory, on Flickr

A gorgeous section of Allaire State Park in the Manasquan Floodplain. Allaire has some very piney areas, it seem to be just at the cusp of the pines. I recommend walking this trail at this time of year, it's located behind the blacksmith shop within the village.

Manasquan Floodplain by Bachman's Ivory, on Flickr

Looking out to the Highlands from Sandy Hook

To The High Land by Bachman's Ivory, on Flickr

And finally, the clowns of the sea. American Oystercatcher

American Oystercatcher by Bachman's Ivory, on Flickr

Reactions: rjb

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Thanks Chase,
Awesome sunset there,nice how you got it in different stages.The first one sports my moms favorite color.She will tell you it's "Sky Blue Pink"
Allaire I believe is supposedly the northern bastion of the pine barrens physiographic region much as where I live on Buckhutem creek on the western side of the maurice river is considered physiographic barrens but not protected as such.I have seen many barrens here sacrificed because they were not in the protection area while much woods in the protection area down here are really not barrens at all.Millville and vineland would be total barrens if not settled on.Millville and vineland both set on the sandbox.

Reactions: Bachman's Ivory

Bachman's Ivory

Explorer
Oct 27, 2009
Last night I paid a visit to Webb's Mills and Greenwood WMA. I took my first digital camera there in 2009. My I've come a long way. On the way out I was treated to my first ever pine barrens tree frogs, which you can hear here: http://soundcloud.com/chase-schiefer/recording-6-26-8-52-pm Perhaps that will set the mood for this group.

Pitcher Plant by Bachman's Ivory, on Flickr

Bogged by Bachman's Ivory, on Flickr

Mucky Mire by Bachman's Ivory, on Flickr

Lines & Shadows by Bachman's Ivory, on Flickr

Pine Pink by Bachman's Ivory, on Flickr

Thanks for looking, more from this evening to come. I also attended the Cowtown Rodeo this past weekend. Will post on that shortly.

Bachman's Ivory

Explorer
Oct 27, 2009
Went to the pine plains with a friend on Saturday night. We arrived on Range road just after sundown. Spent a couple hours at the lake. Whip-poor-wills calling, nighthawks calling, distant pine barrens tree frogs wonking. Aside from that, total silence. Moon was so bright, I was able to see it's light crawl over the plains as it rose.

Moonlit Pines by Bachman's Ivory, on Flickr

Starry Pines by Bachman's Ivory, on Flickr

Lunar Glow by Bachman's Ivory, on Flickr

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That is called Governors Pond. You should go there before sunrise some morning and enjoy that experience. It is nice!

Thanks for the photo's!

Guy