The Lure of the Land - A photographic journey through the pine barrens, New Jersey’s

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Bachman, great work as usual! The relic of a church is a terrific shot. I wish that the individual that posts the no trespassing and other signs on buildings like this could place them off of the structure itself. I understand postings are a necessary evil but it could be done in a manner that doesn't seem so ugly. For some reason they are always in a key part of the photograph and bright in color.

Reactions: Bachman's Ivory

Bachman's Ivory

Explorer
Oct 27, 2009
Hazlet, Monmouth County, NJ
Gibby, thanks! That is an incredible church. When I was photographing it with a friend that night 3 state troopers pulled up and had many questions for us. I suppose 2 guys shinning flashlights in every direction at an abandoned church in the middle of the night might look a tad suspicious. The troopers were very understanding, they even passed around my iPhone which had a few samples of my night photography. The front of the church is actually illuminated by one of the cruiser's spotlights!

Here's some more new work from Barnegat light and Manahawkin.

Drake Harlequin Duck by Chase Schiefer, on Flickr

The Bridge to Nowhere by Chase Schiefer, on Flickr

Butter-Nose by Chase Schiefer, on Flickr

Ruddy Turnstone by Chase Schiefer, on Flickr

Drake Harlequin Ducks by Chase Schiefer, on Flickr

Stars and Pines by Chase Schiefer, on Flickr

Quintessential Jersey by Chase Schiefer, on Flickr

Bold Old Barney by Chase Schiefer, on Flickr

As The World Turns by Chase Schiefer, on Flickr

Moon, Venus, Marsh by Chase Schiefer, on Flickr

As always, thanks for looking, and thanks for all the kind words. I hope to see you all at Lines on the Pines!

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Bachman, can you still find Short-eared in the vicinity of the old Bell-Tell bridge. I enjoy that area and it was a frequent go-to spot.

BTW - Great story behind the church photograph.;)

Bachman's Ivory

Explorer
Oct 27, 2009
Indeed you can, in fact that's why I was there! It's one of my favorite childhood memories, standing on that bridge (before it burned) and scanning the horizon for short-eareds on a cold winter evening. We didn't see any when we were there but I suspect it was too windy. I've read that short-eareds don't hunt in windy conditions. We did have about 7 harriers including one gray ghost.

Reactions: Gibby

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
Moon, Venus, Marsh by Chase Schiefer, on Flickr

Nice one!

But why does the moon appear so big in the sky and so tiny in photographs?

Bachman's Ivory

Explorer
Oct 27, 2009
Sorry for the late follow up and lack of posts. I want to thank everyone for coming out to Lines on the Pines and stopping by to chat. I met a lot of new faces and had a fantastic time. Linda puts on an incredible event and I owe her many thanks.

A week after Lines, a good friend invited me along on a spur of the moment birdwatching/photography trip to Big Bend National Park. One of the greatest places I've ever experienced, it was an incredible trip. Big Bend is a Gold Tier Dark Sky Park, the stars caused me to literally stagger back, teary-eyed! We saw some great birds and animals, including bobcat, javelina, coyote, black-tailed jackrabbit, greater roadrunner, elf owl, western-screech owl being harassed by a gray fox and many more. Old ghost towns along the Rio Grande river, incredible plants, etc. Enjoy some pictures and a video I pieced together of our road trip our there.

The Dorgan House by Chase Schiefer, on Flickr
The Dorgan House is located in Big Bend National Park, Texas. It was a working ranch house along the Rio Grande in the early part of the 20th century. It was abandoned when the Park Service took the area over in 1944. The chimney is entirely made of petrified wood found in the area.

One of the most amazing places I've ever been. I can't even begin to describe the stars to you. One 30 second exposure at high ISO combined in camera with a light painted exposure for the house.

Night Awakens by Chase Schiefer, on Flickr

Last Light in Chisos Basin by Chase Schiefer, on Flickr

Petrified Glow by Chase Schiefer, on Flickr

Ocotillio Dreams by Chase Schiefer, on Flickr

Chisos Basin Sunset by Chase Schiefer, on Flickr

Hot Springs General Store by Chase Schiefer, on Flickr

Window View by Chase Schiefer, on Flickr

The Day is Done by Chase Schiefer, on Flickr

Balanced Rock by Chase Schiefer, on Flickr

Light Years Per Second by Chase Schiefer, on Flickr

Greater Roadrunner by Chase Schiefer, on Flickr

The Dorgan Spiral by Chase Schiefer, on Flickr

General Store by Chase Schiefer, on Flickr

Big Bend Skies by Chase Schiefer, on Flickr

Ocotillio by Chase Schiefer, on Flickr

It's a Small World by Chase Schiefer, on Flickr

Starry Desert Night by Chase Schiefer, on Flickr

And the video:

Thanks for looking!

Reactions: Teegate and Gibby

PancoastDrifter

Explorer
Dec 7, 2008
www.flickr.com
Great stuff Chase! One memorable moment for me there was hiking a few miles from the basin by myself and heading up some steep switchbacks when the ground started to rumble and shake. I thought it was an earthquake but it kept getting louder and more intense. I walked up to the next switchback to see about 20 mules carrying chainsaws and tools with Forestry guys who were out clearing paths. I chuckled to my inexperienced self... ;-)

Reactions: Bachman's Ivory

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
Beautiful! My two favorites are Window View and Night Awakens. I'm out in the desert too. There was an unusual celestial sight last week, the crescent moon and Jupiter. I took photos of it, but just with my pocket camera. I'm sure there are far better ones online.