The new universal boydsmaps web app is (finally) here!

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
USGS servers have always been a hit or miss thing. I know they are in the process of moving all their downloadable data from the National Map to AWS (Amazon Web Services). I have concerns about the degree to which the government is relying on Amazon, but putting that aside, this is a big upgrade. I have been downloading terabytes of LIDAR DEM for the past month and it just flies when it comes from AWS. No idea what the endgame is here or whether they intend to move their map services (like the one in my link above) to AWS. But even if they don't, putting the downloadable data on AWS should relieve stress on the USGS servers and speed everything up.

Regardless, using any of the USGS-hosted maps on my site is bound to be frustrating at times. But "it is what it is", I obviously have no control over USGS servers.

Reactions: TommyP

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Also, remember that my Mid Atlantic 3d LIDAR map now covers a big portion of our region with full-resolution 1-meter LIDAR (where available). In a few weeks it will expand to an even larger area that includes all of New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Connecticut and Rhode Island along with significant portions of other states. This should load fast and give full 3d views along with the option to set a custom vertical exaggeration. It is also available as a 2d map that loads even faster. :)

coverage.png

• Love
Reactions: pinelandpaddler

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I almost never look at those myself, so no idea what they are usually like. This loads pretty fast initially, but then not all the tiles are updated so I'm getting kind of a "Swiss cheese" effect. Same with the others in the series.

https://boydsmaps.com/#15.00/44.339479/-68.253816/us3depShade1/0.00/0.00

Like I said, their servers can be pretty unreliable. Sorry, it is what it is, this has nothing to do with my app. As I explained elsewhere, when you come to my site, my app is loaded directly into your computer or phone. Then when you choose a map, the data is sent directly to you. My server is not even part of that equation... it's all between your computer and the USGS server.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
I almost never look at those myself, so no idea what they are usually like. This loads pretty fast initially, but then not all the tiles are updated so I'm getting kind of a "Swiss cheese" effect. Same with the others in the series.

https://boydsmaps.com/#15.00/44.339479/-68.253816/us3depShade1/0.00/0.00

Like I said, their servers can be pretty unreliable. Sorry, it is what it is, this has nothing to do with my app. As I explained elsewhere, when you come to my site, my app is loaded directly into your computer or phone. Then when you choose a map, the data is sent directly to you. My server is not even part of that equation... it's all between your computer and the USGS server.
Oh, I know this has nothing to do with your app. I am having the same issue when I go to their National Viewer app: https://apps.nationalmap.gov/viewer/

I look at those maps extensively (the slope map is incredible), but I've never had an issue like this with them until the past few days. I've also been having some wifi issues, so wanted to make sure it wasn't a problem on my end. Looks like it is on their end, so thanks for the feedback.

Reactions: Boyd

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
In a few weeks it will expand to an even larger area that includes all of New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Connecticut and Rhode Island along with significant portions of other states.

As posted in the other thread, the upgrade is currently in progress. The new 2d map is now available, here's Martha's Vineyard and the Pittsburgh Golden Triangle, for example.

Uploading/installing the elevation data today, hopefully the 3d map will be available tonight. This is the new coverage area.

coverage.png

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Upgrade is complete now and you should be able to access the new map! You may experience cache issues with the updated app although everything seems to work for me on my phone and computer. If you are having problems, try reloading the page in your browser. Or you can use the Restart (not Reset!) Button from the main menu in the mobile version or preferences menu in the desktop version.

Here's a sample of the 3d map - Shenandoah, Virginia

https://boydsmaps.com/#12.00/38.477536/-78.619441/mbx3dmidatl/33.60/73.60

shenandoah.png

As for the app update, aside from some configuration changes and bug fixes, the only notable change is the vertical exaggeration preference. It is now a slider that gives you much more precise control. It's also easier to set on the mobile version, the buttons were really too small before. And you can crank it all the way up to 10 to turn hills in the pines into mountains - if you dare! :dance: (this will also introduce a lot of distortion, but can be amusing).

Screen Shot 2022-07-23 at 11.11.46 PM.png

This has been quite a project - the full 3d map consists of about 22 million tiles and 615gb of data. I hope to expand coverage even more in the future, but am going to take a little break first. :) Let me know if you experience any problems. Have not checked this out very thoroughly yet.