The Pioneer Sportsman's Club

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

On December 6, 2012 Ted Gordon and myself met up with Edward Batten at the Pioneer Sportsman's Club off of Eagle Road, meeting Ed for the first time and asking questions. Ed's father was one of the original members of the club, and Ed attends each December to visit with the rest of the members during hunting week. The conversation went on for quite a while covering more subject matter than I can remember. In the days and months following we had a flurry of email correspondence and it was decided to meet again at the Sandy Ridge ruins on Carranza road on Sunday February 17, 2013. It was one of the coldest days of the year and we froze while walking around discussing the area.

If you did not know the original building that the Pioneers owned was located at Sandy Ridge. This was the exact location.

https://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.76007593979608&lng=-74.59395903747557&z=17&type=nj1995&gpx=

Without going into detail, the club purchased the property but the land was owned by the Wharton Estate. Over the years the club purchased smaller structures and connected them to the main building adding to it's size. However, as we all know the state purchased the Wharton property and as you might expect the state told them to vacate. Since the club owned the building the state gave them the option to have it moved or it would be razed.

The decision was made to purchase the current property from Mark Alloway and his wife Francis and they did just that on January 16, 1958. Soon they themselves constructed a cinder block building to use as their club. In later years an arsonist took the building from them and the current structure was then eventually built.

I have covered the basics so you get a general idea what occurred. While meeting with Ed Batten at the club on one occasion he brought along his family photos and graciously allowed me to scan them with my portable scanner while there. I have held onto them for ten years without posting until now. What you are about to see below are photos that very few have viewed before. I recently gave these photos to Richard Franzen of the Tabernacle Historical Society who in a few days will be adding them to their website. I will pass along the link when that occurs. If we need answers I have saved all of the emails between Ed and myself and can also contact him if need be.

Remember, all photos are from the private collection of Edward Batten.

This photo from 1947 shows the back of the Pioneer Sportsman's Club with the camera facing Carranza Road. The photographer is standing about where the road is just south of the pointer at my link above. Basically, at the sandy area just below the pointer at my link above. Even through the truck says "Bud" on it, you would be wrong if you thought it was beer. It is the name of the person who owned it. Take notice the club is just one building with an extension on the back.

Pioneer_Sportsman's_Sandy Ridge_NJ.jpg

Notice in this photo taken from the same location they have added two smaller structures to the building. It is believed the additions were from Sandy Ridge but that is not certain. They may have been brought there from another location. It appears you can see the cranberry bog in the background on the other side of Carranza Road.

Pioneer Sportsman%22s_Club.jpg

This view is the opposite (Front) side of the building taken from Carranza Road. Notice how high the sides of the road are.

Pioneer_Sportsman's Club_From_Carranza_Road.jpg

This is another view showing the front along Carranza. The photographer was right along the edges of Carranza.

Pioneer_Sportsman's_Sandy_Ridge.jpg

And all good things must come to an end. This view shows a man on the left walking along Carranza Road toward the razed Pioneer Sportsman's Club.

Pioneer_Sportsman's_Razed.jpg

More photos to come. Then I will go through my emails and add info that I acquired. Stay tuned :)

Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I am pretty certain I have the names of these individuals. Later I will start collecting that info and posting.

Pioneer Sportsman's Club Inside.jpg

The front ornament is interesting. I believe the paper in the window is the name of one of the members. I will check on that later. That is Carranza Road in the distance.

Car_Pioneer's Sportsman's_Club.jpg

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
I would have liked this post but that would have been an understatement. This post is outstanding, off the charts for me. I look forward to more about it.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
One of the pics mentions “Carranza State Park”, is that accurate? Haven’t heard of that before.
Yes. If you look at old maps that is what it was called. The state must have purchased that plot before purchasing the surrounding property from Wharton. I will look for a map I have that shows it.

Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Before we move forward .... the early Pioneer members were affiliated with the Gloucester Stag Club in Atsion but there were alcohol problems. So some of them broke off and started the Pioneers without alcohol. However, after a while it was hard to keep members so that rule was dropped.

• Haha
Reactions: RednekF350

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Ed, the club was not around then. Their first year hunting as the Pioneers was 1947. However, for a while they called themselves the Pitman Pioneers. We can get all of this ironed out after I get the photos posted. Quite a bit going on here.

Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
At this point the state is forcing them out and they had to look for a new location to start over.

Mark Alloway and his wife Francis had fairly recently acquired land from Harold T. Parker and J. Garfield Alloway and somehow the Pioneers were able to have Mark Alloway agree to sell them a small portion of his property where the current Pioneer Sportman's Club is located. The sale occurred on January 16, 1958 and the Pioneers had a new home. They decided to build a cinderblock building on their own and they did just that.

Pioneers Off Eagle Road.jpg

Pionee Sportsman's Club Off Eagle Road_.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The fireplace in this photo is still in the new building. After it was destroyed by an arsonist they rebuilt around it.

Off Eagle Road Pioneer Sportsman.jpg

Pioneer Sportsman Off Eagle Road-1.jpg

Reactions: Boyd

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
This photo I can give you more info on. The man on the right is Earl Butler. He was a farmer from Mullica Hill and has passed. His grandson still hunts with the club. The boy just to the left of Earl is Ed Batton's brother, and the younger one is Ed Batten, the owner of these photos. The man on the left is currently unknown by Ed. This photo was also taken at the current location with their first building shown in the photos just above.

Pioneer Sportsman's__.jpg

Reactions: Boyd