The Pioneer Sportsman's Club

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Great stuff Guy. Amazing photos! So glad they finally came to light. Makes you wonder about other photos hidden in attics.
You’re right, Bob. Hilly must have been quite a character. Lol.

He has many more photos but did not offer them to me so I am not going to ask again.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

On the first day of December I received a private conversation from a member named Lorraine who signed up to write this to me.

The posts here have been so very interesting, thank you! When I was a child, my father hunted with the Pioneer Sportsmen’s Club. I recall going with he, my mom and brother on “family weekend”. There was an old car (it had no roof, as I recall…which was certainly exciting for a kid). He and other members took my brother and I for rides to explore. It was a one-story cinderblock clubhouse building. Don’t recall exactly what time of year the family visits were, but he hunted throughout much of 1960s. I do have some photographs if anyone is interested.

Well, you all know me, and I asked her for the photos. She rummaged around in her attic and a few days ago she followed through. But first, here is some other info leading up to this. I contacted Ed Batten from the club and he wrote this.

OK, if you want tell them I may have been at that “Jamboree” too as they used to call them.

And then came the photos and text from Lorraine. I edited the text.

Hello! Sorry it’s taken me this long, but attached are some photos of the Pioneer Sportsmen’s Club (these were my father’s). My father is not in these pics…can’t seem to find those, but I have one more resource to try. My Dad’s name was Larry (Last name removed). I am remembering we visited the clubhouse with him in the early-mid 1960s or so.

I will look for the additional pics and circle back.

Thank you Lorraine for allowing me to post these photos!

It is important to note this is when the original building was still standing at their current location.

Notice the same pioneer sign on this building as they had at the Carranza Road location.

IMG_7906.jpg

This is most likely the same man in the previous photo in post number 18.

IMG_7908.jpg

IMG_7909.jpg

They carried the generator on a boat trailer.

IMG_7910.jpg

IMG_7911.jpg

IMG_7912.jpg

IMG_7913.jpg

IMG_7914.jpg

IMG_7915.jpg

IMG_7916.jpg

IMG_7917.jpg

IMG_7918.jpg

IMG_7920.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
If you notice in the below photo given to us by Lorraine, there is a building behind the Pioneer club. That building is not on their property. That is the blueberry field building owned by J. Garfield Alloway and Mark Alloway. However, by the time the photo was taken J. Garfield Alloway had passed and Mark Alloway was the owner. And as mentioned before he sold Pioneer the property they are currently on.

This photo shows both buildings with the Alloway building on the edge of his blueberry field.

pioneer.jpg

And this 1963 aerial shows the angle the photo was taken from.... allowing us to see both buildings.

Pioneer:Alloway.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-31 at 7.06.49 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-31 at 7.06.49 PM.png
    314.8 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot 2023-12-31 at 7.03.47 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-31 at 7.03.47 PM.png
    1 MB · Views: 22

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford
Not the same thing, but here are some photos of the foundations of the buildings around the Alloway/DeMarco monument. I was there just a few days ago.

A7508367.jpg

A7508362.jpg

Is there any further information about these buildings? Were they equipment sheds or something for the blueberry operation?

Here they are on 1951 USGS imagery. The above photos are of the ruins of the west-most one.

alloway.jpg

Reactions: Boyd

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That is the home and whatever else they needed at the Alloway Monument.

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford
I wasn't sure if it could be a dwelling or not. The one I took pictures of looks a bit too small to be a house, although it does look like there are ruins of a chimney next to it. The terra cotta looked like a chimney liner.

The largest one to the south could have been a house, but again there really wasn't enough for me to tell. It would be great to see photos of the farm from when it was in operation, if those exist somewhere.

Reactions: Boyd

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Answer.

Implement shed would be a good description. The concrete pad is still there. It had 2 doors (opening to the NE) so you could probably put a small Tractor in there. If memory serves me, there were shelves on the inside, and “windows” that opened with hinges at the top. I think it served to store stuff they felt they needed to keep near the fields. There were several others within the fields, but this is the only one that I can remember that had a concrete pad. All had metal roofs.

Reactions: stiltzkin