The Sale of Atsion Furnace

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
I took a quick look on Google Maps and noticed it had some property lines in that general vicinity. They are not always 100% accurate speaking from previous experience though.

Kevinhooa,

I can't find these property lines on the google map, help me out please.

Don

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
Fruitland most definitely extended across Quaker Bridge.

IMG_0634a.jpg

IMG_0635a.jpg

TeeGate,

I was wondering if you have the coordinates for monument NJ22S. I am trying to put a little something together in the area and this monument is a point on the stone bridge farm property line and I am wondering why it is there. Maybe you know?
Don

Oriental

Explorer
Apr 21, 2005
It looks like the farms were 20 acres square where possible, with some 10 acre or 1/2 squares being sold. Without question these lots crossed QBR and extend to the center of the river, so the area of these lots are what they are.

A couple of folks that lived along the river were "Banjo Jack" and "The widow woman Mary" both popular fishing holes years later. I'm sure I can find their full names if needed, also Claypole may have been on the river, not sure.

Don,

The colorful names that you provide for the folks that lived along the river really bring the place alive!

The following confirms your statements about the lot sizes and the extent to which the properties approached the river.

Farms by Atsion.jpg

The story of these lots has been on the back burner with me for some time. This thread (like other recent ones) has really piqued my interest. I have been meaning to get out to the Clerk's Office to see if the properties date to the Fruitland era. I have discounted a Raleigh era farm because I have yet to see a map showing Raleigh extending south of the railroad. The following link shows that many of the farms here were abandoned by 1893.

https://books.google.com/books?id=E...=colton atsion "board of agriculture"&f=false

I am still puzzled by the fact that this small area had been farmed but none of the other land around it would appear to have been sold or cultivated. Clearly more questions than answers!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
TeeGate,

I was wondering if you have the coordinates for monument NJ22S. I am trying to put a little something together in the area and this monument is a point on the stone bridge farm property line and I am wondering why it is there. Maybe you know?
Don

Don,

I believe Oriental's map tells us what NJ22S is for. Take notice the old township line. I alligns quite well with it.

Now the question is are there are stones on that line somewhere off to the right deeper in Wharton? It would be interesting to find them.

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
Don,

The colorful names that you provide for the folks that lived along the river really bring the place alive!

The following confirms your statements about the lot sizes and the extent to which the properties approached the river.

View attachment 6616

The story of these lots has been on the back burner with me for some time. This thread (like other recent ones) has really piqued my interest. I have been meaning to get out to the Clerk's Office to see if the properties date to the Fruitland era. I have discounted a Raleigh era farm because I have yet to see a map showing Raleigh extending south of the railroad. The following link shows that many of the farms here were abandoned by 1893.

https://books.google.com/books?id=EjwLAQAAMAAJ&pg=RA1-PA11&lpg=RA1-PA11&dq=colton+atsion+"board+of+agriculture"&source=bl&ots=omy1M7ea5E&sig=V2HW6nnh3Mw-SqVGp0ZYy9i6Ty8&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CB0Q6AEwAGoVChMIruDX8ZSJyQIVAvMeCh1dSAWQ#v=onepage&q=colton atsion "board of agriculture"&f=false

I am still puzzled by the fact that this small area had been farmed but none of the other land around it would appear to have been sold or cultivated. Clearly more questions than answers!

Oriental,

Is there any history or date on this drawing. The street right above Lot 367 in Spruce Avenue, next one above Spruce is Maple Ave, the next one at the top is First Avenue. The one going north-south is Quince Ave . Can you make out what it says on lot no. 367? I have no information below Spruce Ave and wasn't sure any lots were sold below Spruce.

Don

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
D

I have been working to find that answer in regards to stones. I am in the process of visiting the locations where the other corners would be off to the NE. The lots for the most part are 1320 X 660 and I have calculated the points to the outside of the area on your map and will check for stones at each location.

Rich ... I am pretty certain it is Fruitland. The Wharton survey team called it Fruitland, I have deeds saying Fruitland, and they even name the streets.

Beginning at a point on the east side of plumb Street, according to the Plan of Lots of east Fruitland and corner to the land of Levi B, and Albert Woodman; thence by said Woodman's land.

1. North 77 degrees East four chains and fifty-five links; thence
2. North 13 degrees West two chains and sixty-six links to a corner in First Avenue; thence.

The deed I have is the state buying the property on April 7, 2001 from James H. Augustin, Jr and John F. Augustin as co-Executors of the Last Will and Testament of James H. Augustin, Sr. at 1 Poulnot Lane Charlotte, SC.

And it was sold to them by none other than William Augustine, Jr. in 1974. I think the spelling above of Augustin is incorrect.

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
Don,

I believe Oriental's map tells us what NJ22S is for. Take notice the old township line. I alligns quite well with it.

Now the question is are there are stones on that line somewhere off to the right deeper in Wharton? It would be interesting to find them.

Guy, the google maps shows the twp line well below these lot???
Twp Line.jpg

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
I have been working to find that answer in regards to stones. I am in the process of visiting the locations where the other corners would be off to the NE. The lots for the most part are 1320 X 660 and I have calculated the points to the outside of the area on your map and will check for stones at each location.

Rich ... I am pretty certain it is Fruitland. The Wharton survey team called it Fruitland, I have deeds saying Fruitland, and they even name the streets.

Beginning at a point on the east side of plumb Street, according to the Plan of Lots of east Fruitland and corner to the land of Levi B, and Albert Woodman; thence by said Woodman's land.

1. North 77 degrees East four chains and fifty-five links; thence
2. North 13 degrees West two chains and sixty-six links to a corner in First Avenue; thence.

The deed I have is the state buying the property on April 7, 2001 from James H. Augustin, Jr and John F. Augustin as co-Executors of the Last Will and Testament of James H. Augustin, Sr. at 1 Poulnot Lane Charlotte, SC.

And it was sold to them by none other than William Augustine, Jr. in 1974. I think the spelling above of Augustin is incorrect.

Guy,
James H. Augustine, Sr bought it from Raymond Cross in 1937, original owner was Jacob K. Claypoole as per Oriental's plot. Plumb Avenue is Quaker Bridge Road (66' wide) a 4 rod road.
Don

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Maybe the township line changed or else the map would be seriously in question.

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
The Shamong Township tax map shows the Twp line about 400' below the Stone Bridge Farm, so the line must have changed, maybe when Burlington County pick up that piece on the west side of the Mullica in 1902. But then mon. 22 is a state monument, maybe 1955, so who knows???

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The township line on that map appears to be in the proper spot to meet the monument. As soon as Rich showed me the map on Saturday I figured it aligned with NJ22S.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The Shamong Township tax map shows the Twp line about 400' below the Stone Bridge Farm, so the line must have changed, maybe when Burlington County pick up that piece on the west side of the Mullica in 1902. But then mon. 22 is a state monument, maybe 1955, so who knows???

It was put in when the state purchased Wharton.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I just noticed that the map he posted does not show everything that the one he gave me does. Mine shows that line going E & W as a township line.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Don,

Take the map I sent you and place a ruler on it across NJ22S and notice it matches the map above.

Oriental

Explorer
Apr 21, 2005
Is there any history or date on this drawing. The street right above Lot 367 in Spruce Avenue, next one above Spruce is Maple Ave, the next one at the top is First Avenue. The one going north-south is Quince Ave . Can you make out what it says on lot no. 367? I have no information below Spruce Ave and wasn't sure any lots were sold below Spruce.

Don

The map showed the "Property of Joseph Wharton and Others". Land was surveyed between 1891 and 1902. The numbers on the lots have nothing to do Fruitland. They apparently were used by the surveyor to identify all the various parcels.

Oriental

Explorer
Apr 21, 2005
... I am pretty certain it is Fruitland. The Wharton survey team called it Fruitland, I have deeds saying Fruitland, and they even name the streets.

Beginning at a point on the east side of plumb Street, according to the Plan of Lots of east Fruitland and corner to the land of Levi B, and Albert Woodman; thence by said Woodman's land. . . .

I find the words "according to the Plan of Lots of east Fruitland" very interesting. What was east Fruitland? Could it have been a separate development? The language reminds me of other development schemes that were later expanded with "additions". Perhaps I am reading too much into this.

Don, how were you able to identify the street names? If it was from a map of Fruitland then I guess that settles it.