The Sleeper; a kayaking adventure

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
For some time Gabe (pinelandpaddler) and myself had been discussing a kayak exploration on a portion of the Sleeper branch that neither of us had kayaked in the past. The Sleeper has interested both of us for sometime. It remains today as one of the most remote watersheds in the barrens. We went into it not knowing what we might encounter in terms of blow downs and obsticles.

We started from the rockwood bogs east of 206 and had to shoot (the first of many) beaver dams to start on our way.

watermark.php

As I went over the dam the nose of my kayak submerged and then lifted. Whoo, Whoo, high adventure!

After a section of dams and channels, we were surprised that the river was fairly clear. Let me just say that it is unlike any section of pinebarren river Gabe or I had done in the past. It is characterized by lots of indian grass (possibly long sedge) and phragmites (whether of the european variety or North American I can't say). At times it meandered through breath taking savannas. Every bend provided for another amazing discovery.

watermark.php

watermark.php

One of many beaver dams we had to shoot

watermark.php

Beaver lodge

watermark.php

Another beaver lodge

watermark.php

A maple blow down

watermark.php

Gabe taking on the blow down

watermark.php

On our return trip we were taking a break after crossing the blow down when I noticed something moving in the woods. As it approached we could see it was a man carrying a large sack of grain, or human remains. Fortunitely it was grain. A hunter on his way to his stand. Nice guy who claimed to have kayaked the sleeper up to Wescoat himself. I was impressed that he was carrying a 60-80lbs bag of grain through the woods and across the blow down. He refused any aid I offered to him.

Many islands seperated the river

watermark.php

A savanna

watermark.php

watermark.php

A very remote, and very well constructed duck blind

watermark.php

At about 2:30pm it began to rain. We nearly made it to Wescoat but decided it was best to head back at that point. After all, we had alot of beaver dams to tackle going upstream. After returning we spent some time kayaking the rockwood bogs in the rain.

watermark.php

An amazing area and fantastic kayaking trip!!

Jeff

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Very nice report and photo's.

Steve and I walked across that first dam at the Rockwood bogs a few years back. As usual the savannas are really nice along there. We visited and saw them on the Rockwood Rocks hike. A very nice area for sure, and as you said very remote.

I fixed the link.

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Wow! Beautiful photos and a great report to match. Looks like a great day in a very special place, thanks for taking the time to share it with us.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
This was an outstanding trip on a unique tributary of the Mullica. The floodplains along the stretch of river from the Rockwood Bogs to the Wescoat Bogs have been signicantly altered by Beavers, as can be seen by comparing 1930 and modern aerial photographs; The savannahs adjacent to the stream have been flooded, resulting in a network of small channels that weave in and out of the main channel. There are plenty of signs of human disturbance too, such as the many phragmites which almost gives one the sense of paddling through a marsh. As with the other rivers of the area, the Mechescatauxin has seen alot of history pass it by.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
A run that I have been putting off for far too long.
I shall make it a 2008 priority. Thank you both for sharing your day.

G.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Nice trip my Pine Barren Brothers! Very smooth and nice.

Jeff, I am still ignorant of most grasses, but that is what I think that is; a species of phragmites reed grass. It is far too large to be a carex.

Swamp Thing

Dec 27, 2007
This is the section of creek I seen last week when I swamped out to the island I was talking about.I found a stand and large bait pile(corn and sweet taters).probably the same guys bait.That grass looks like what they call cane down south,don't know if it is though.I was thinking about yaking this section myself.There is a write up on this section in Gertlers book Canoeing New Jersey tells about how he got bogged down in Great Swamp and had to be rescued.
Bryant

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
By the way my Pine Barren Brothers, that second photo is a real keeper. It has just enough detail in it to keep your eye interested and wandering over it, and at the same time the scene is calm and peaceful. The phragmites agains the eastern sky and the grass in the foreground in the water rounds it out nicely.

That one is good enough for the oak frame in the living room.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
By the way my Pine Barren Brothers, that second photo is a real keeper. It has just enough detail in it to keep your eye interested and wandering over it, and at the same time the scene is calm and peaceful. The phragmites agains the eastern sky and the grass in the foreground in the water rounds it out nicely.

That one is good enough for the oak frame in the living room.

Thanks! It is my favorite as well. I got lucky with my perspective on this one. I took 39 photos on this trip. My theory is that sheer numbers should produce a few good shots.

Jeff

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
There is a write up on this section in Gertlers book Canoeing New Jersey tells about how he got bogged down in Great Swamp and had to be rescued.
Bryant

Probably right around wescoat. Channels inhibit the flow and there are tons of blow downs. I have heard other stories about misadventures on the sleeper, and the great swamp in general.

Jeff