Things that shouldn't be done in the Pines.

tom m

Explorer
Jan 9, 2006
Hammonton,NJ.
a tale of two canoes

Hey piker remember when we went down the oswego river and we had to lash our canoes together to carry that minnie van out ,whew they were the days were'nt they ?and then there was the time we had half a land cruiser in the boat ,man what pieces of junk

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
bobpbx said:
Speaking of Land Cruisers: Guy, have you seen the latest offering from Toyota? They have a new 4 wheel drive based upon the ones in the old days when you had yours. They are pretty neat looking. Save your boxtops. Its the last car you'll need for the pines for a long while.

http://money.cnn.com/2006/03/10/Autos/carreviews/fsb_toyotafj/

Ben mentioned that about a year ago, and I saw the article on them a few months back. I enjoyed my two but the rust was a problem. And the cost of parts was just unacceptable, not to mention the availability. Maybe things have changed....

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I like the blue one...

The gas mileage is half of what my car gets. With all the driving to get to and from I think I will stick with my car.

Guy

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
It looks pretty good. I would never take anything new into the pine barrens through. Piney Pinstripes, as Steve calls them, are unavoidable if anyone really plans on getting in the woods where you would need 4x4 anyway. 23,000 to 24,000 is not a bad price at all new. I might consider something like that in the used market in a few years but I would tend to shy away from the lack of cargo space. I can fit my 13' 6" kayak in the back of my Bronco and even sleep back there if I need to, not to mention the top comes off which is totally cool.

Jeff

foofoo

Explorer
Sep 14, 2003
im sick of seeing construction debris and truck loads of tires all over the place. if individual townships had better and easier recycling centers it would be a thing of the past. my town takes all of this stuff with the proper i.d.. my town feels its better to take it in then pay someone to pick it up on a dead end or side of the road. litter like bottles and cans i cant say there is an easy answer, guess its how your brought up and respect for the land.

Stu

Explorer
Feb 19, 2004
White Haven, PA
www.stuofdoom.com
I'm sick of finding piles of deer heads and other deer parts in half-torn open bags. They don't even bother hiding the bags anymore. What's the point in putting it in a plastic bag if you're just gonna let it sit there to rot anyway?

onehand

Explorer
Apr 11, 2005
potter co. pa.
i do alot of hiking in the woods and i get tired of seeing deer gutts and other deer parts laying all over, it is disgusting. to me it is no different that dumping trash.
it seems it would be reasonable to dig a hole and bury it, the ground is not that frozen

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
That is a good point. It is amazing how many deer parts and pieces are all over the place. I was watching a horror movie last night, and this guy sees a deer carcass on the side of the road and it is supposed to be creepy. It took me a second to figure this out. One trip down mt. Misery rd and you see piles and piles of deer parts, makes the shot in movie seem "soft".

Jeff

uuglypher

Explorer
Jun 8, 2005
Estelline, SD
woodjin said:
That is a good point. It is amazing how many deer parts and pieces are all over the place. I was watching a horror movie last night, and this guy sees a deer carcass on the side of the road and it is supposed to be creepy. It took me a second to figure this out. One trip down mt. Misery rd and you see piles and piles of deer parts, makes the shot in movie seem "soft".

Jeff

I presume that the coyotes now being seen in the PBs with more frequency than heretofore are of goodly size, robust, and well-fed? I would also expect that, with all that carrion about, during the winter you'd see the occassional bald eagle and red-tailed hawk feeding on the suff.

Dave

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
uuglypher said:
I presume that the coyotes now being seen in the PBs with more frequency than heretofore are of goodly size, robust, and well-fed? I would also expect that, with all that carrion about, during the winter you'd see the occassional bald eagle and red-tailed hawk feeding on the suff.

Dave

Yeah, I would say the coyotes have a pretty nice food supply, which is probably why they rarely make there way into suburbia (except for Cape May apparently).

I think the Turkey Vultures are running a monopoly on the carrion though Dave, at least as far as the birds are concerned. I once saw two of them work together to drag a doe to the shoulder of the road. Amazing creatures. I did see a red tailed hawk eating on the ground along the GPS yesterday. It could have been fresh kill though.

Jeff

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Btw,
My brother told me that a coyote was caught in Central Park!! IT took them something like three hours to catch it. According the article my brother read, it jumped an 8' fence and ran onto the set of a Robin Williams movie being filmed there. They are still holding it in captivity, apparently it is malnurished. A coyote in Manhattan. Interesting!!

Jeff

Stu

Explorer
Feb 19, 2004
White Haven, PA
www.stuofdoom.com
Geocaching around the Dover Forge area last weekend is what renewed my anger for this. I've seen piles of deer parts in the woods before, but what are you gonna do? They're usually in the middle of nowhere. But all along Dover Road people just leave 'em in bags.....most of them being not even 50' from the road. Can't you put that stuff in the back of your truck and throw it out when you get home?

WAMBA

Scout
Mar 20, 2006
Voorhees
bruset said:
Cache in, trash out man.

trash out is one thing, but nasty, decaying, maggot-ridden carcass out? no thanks... the last time i was at hampton furnace i noticed there was what looked to be an entire dead deer (as opposed to just parts) inside the packing house. you wouldn't have been able to get to the geocache in there without going right by it, and it was covered in flies that i personally wouldn't want to be landing on me.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
bruset said:
Cache in, trash out man.

THAT IS ADMIRABLE !!!
Brave too. Given stink and rot & maggots, there are some fine diseases to be found on said carcasses.I am all for bringing stuff out when you go in.
I will say on this one.... Kinda tough to do. Bag of bottles & cans, great, engine block, even better. Carved up beastie... Hmmmm.
I feel like back my way I live in the "KILL IT & CUT IT & HEAVE IT OR LEAVE IT" capital O' the Barrens.
I lighten it up for myself my thinking that it does feed the circle of life even if too much. The Kayoots & Buzzards & other creatures more brave than I would be even armed with some killer hot sauce do benefit from this.
Back to the earth in the end anyway right?
Coming up around hunters I try to be open minded. I spent plenty of youth butchering pigs & chickens on a farm so the site don't bother me. When I do come across a pile O' leavin's and my kids get a little nervous & want to move on, I can see where others would get squeemish.
Ah heck, beats toxic waste or a truckload of old sheetrock.

G.

uuglypher

Explorer
Jun 8, 2005
Estelline, SD
woodjin said:
Yeah, I would say the coyotes have a pretty nice food supply, which is probably why they rarely make there way into suburbia (except for Cape May apparently).

I think the Turkey Vultures are running a monopoly on the carrion though Dave, at least as far as the birds are concerned. I once saw two of them work together to drag a doe to the shoulder of the road. Amazing creatures. I did see a red tailed hawk eating on the ground along the GPS yesterday. It could have been fresh kill though.

Jeff

Hey, Jeff - or anyone else-
Has anyone seen black vultures in south Jersey yet? For the past 30 years they've been slowly making their way up the south-east coastal plain from the Gulf coastal plain. I saw a bunch on the outer banks of NC several years ago and a few in south west Virginia and Delmarva two years ago. Keep a lookout for them If, of a morning, you see one or more vultures in a dead tree sitting facing the sun with their wings outspread, those are likely black vultures. Also, their tendency to communally roost seems to me even stronger than that of turkey vultures.

uuglypher

Explorer
Jun 8, 2005
Estelline, SD
woodjin said:
Btw,
My brother told me that a coyote was caught in Central Park!! IT took them something like three hours to catch it. According the article my brother read, it jumped an 8' fence and ran onto the set of a Robin Williams movie being filmed there. They are still holding it in captivity, apparently it is malnurished. A coyote in Manhattan. Interesting!!

Jeff

My son, who lives in NYC, kept me abreast of news about the 'yote in Central Park. It actually took them several days to corner it so it could be shot with a tranquilizer gun. The consensus among NY wildlife folk is that it made its way down the green belt along the Hudson and crossed Spuyten Duyvel creek. Once in "way up-town" it likely followed the west side (within sight or smell of the river) until the aromas of woodland from Central Park attracted it eastward. This 'yote is actually the second to have made it to Central Park within the past three or four years.

Dave

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
uuglypher said:
Hey, Jeff - or anyone else-
Has anyone seen black vultures in south Jersey yet?
Keep a lookout for them If, of a morning, you see one or more vultures in a dead tree sitting facing the sun with their wings outspread, those are likely black vultures.

Hey ??
I not so much the birder and I see these boogers all the time, I thought they were plain old buzzards. We forever have them in a tree or roof sunning or heating up their wings in the morn' whichever. One or more is shorting it, one poor house around the corner of me was getting over a dozen at a crack every morn. ( His roof was pretty with buzzard paint ). I guess if that's what you are describing we have been sick with those for some time. I kinda like 'em. Is it possible that these other local buzzards exhibit the same collective nature and morning ritual. I did not think that was unique to a given breed.

G.