Things that shouldn't be done in the Pines.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
WAMBA said:
. the last time i was at hampton furnace i noticed there was what looked to be an entire dead deer (as opposed to just parts) inside the packing house..

I saw that. I think it is even in one of my photo's. Who would do that???

Guy

foofoo

Explorer
Sep 14, 2003
hey its the pine barrens there are deer all over. i cant help but detect some are taking shots and blaming the hunters but your kinda way off base!. i have hunted the pines some 30 years. you will on occasion come across what you call a gut pile. most hunters will gut a deer where it lays. why carry extra weight and stuff you cant eat. this is stuff the critters will feed from. i doubt it would last more than 10 days in the pines. i have set out cameras to verify and have kicked off turkey buzzards at my gut piles. there will be no heads or bones in a hunters gut pile. if you find a decaying whole deer its either old age, disease, or it was clipped by one of those things called a vehicle that most of us drive. an injured deer will most likely go as far as it can. if your finding bags of deer i would look at either poachers or a deer dump site. where my friend works they have several of those dump sites. the public doesnt know where they are at. people get payed good money to remove them and maybe they are just pulling off the road and getting rid of them. i mean if a deer gets hit in front of your house where do you think they go. there supposed to go to the dump but who knows? if a deer gets hit on a road by a state park do you think the ranger is going to take the time to throw it in his truck. they probably just pull it off to the side of the road. it aint rocket science. i just feel the above comments seemed to point a finger.

Stu

Explorer
Feb 19, 2004
White Haven, PA
www.stuofdoom.com
Here's another one, although it goes moreso for the parks than Pines in general. Biking around Double Trouble today made me remember just how many people don't pick up their dogs' crap. The trails are littered with it! Be responsible and pick it up! I don't care if you think "it's gross"...don't have a dog then. Do you let it pile up in your yard? I doubt it. Most parks provide baggies for a reason.

Last week I was walking the trails and this guy ran buy with his dog. Well, the dog went, and I watched the guy pick it up, put it in a small plastic bag.....and drop it on the side of the trail. What was the point of that?

popeofthepines

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Atco
Banjo said:
I was just reading about the idea of having a NJPB.COM cleanup. I would be up for it.

I would be up for that as well. I am tired of seeing trash out there that is obviously left by careless people especially the non-biodegradable stuff.

I don’t know why anyone would hurt that fawn in the Hampton furnace main building. But obviously someone is easily amused by hurting animals or it was a hunting accident or driving accident but someone is obviously not that smart because the rangers are always there.

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
I would be up for a cleanup as well, maybe we could get some of the folks that ride horses out there to shovel up some of their crap as well. I know a few people that are tired of driving around or through a huge steaming pile of horse flop, right Pope ??:dance:

popeofthepines

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Atco
Yes I would like to stop driving through mounds of horse leftovers but we all know that is not going to happen.:jeffd: Should we make them carry in/carry out and cleanup after themselves as we expect people to do with their dogs? Yea that is rhetorical, I dont expect that to happen and most times horses are not on the hiking trails.

WAMBA

Scout
Mar 20, 2006
Voorhees
don't the horses in the city have little poop-bags to catchthat stuff? let the owners carry it with them so they have to smell it instead of us! i passed some people riding horses on quaker bridge road and a bit later i narrowly avoided driving right through a huge mound of the present their horses left for us.

popeofthepines

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Atco
Exactly my point WAMBA. I just seem to have the luck of finding the biggest piles out there and a point where it is unavoidable to not get some on my truck. I agree with Steve that I would rather step in horse duty vs dog because that stuff is very sticky and at least horse duty is mostly grass. And yes they have the catch-all's for the handsome cab rides around the Olde City area of Philadelphia.

popeofthepines

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Atco
Ok let me rephrase and say that I have come upon some at areas where I was in a position that I could not straddle the pile. The piles are not huge I just can't seem to avoid finding them and it has become a running joke. It is just a pet peeve of mine to drive through them. It appears to me that many of the horse people are not fans of the people driving through the woods.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I would think the most irritating thing for horse people would be motorcycles. I had a horse growing up so I can be sensitive to this. As murphey's law would have it, I only seem to come across the horse people while ridiing my motorcycle. I always pull over to side, sometimes turn the bike off if the horses seem spooked, and I am always thanked very graciously by the horse people for doing so. I always feel like I am doing my part for the PR of the sport of recreational off roading. There was only one occasion where a horse person was annoyed and did not respond to my "hello".

However that is just my experience. I have only come across horse people maybe a 1/2 dozen times. I am curious why you guys feel otherwise about them. What experiences?

Jeff

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
woodjin said:
I always pull over to side, sometimes turn the bike off if the horses seem spooked, and I am always thanked very graciously by the horse people for doing so. I always feel like I am doing my part for the PR of the sport of recreational off roading.

Agree wholeheartedly... always shut bike off. not worth spooking horse for it's, the rider's, and your safety. You can get where you need to be soon enough anyway.I live in front of one horse farm and across the street from another. like every other aspect of recreation, pinebarrens related or otherwise, you got good people and you've got..........

popeofthepines

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Atco
By no means would I try and scare a horse. As Largo said I do not want to jeopardize the safety of anyone out there, especially the people on the horse. Most times I have come upon people on horse they have been friendly enough, I pull over to let them decide what they would like to do, walk into the woods or proceed forward. I have meet a few that were of the pompous type that appear to look at me as if I should not be there in the woods on a dirt road. I saw one pair of riders wearing camoflauge jackets with black helmets. Now is that a good idea? come on?!! lol. This was out by hampton road near 1/4 mile bog. They were friendly enough and waved.
Most seem to be friendly but I am guessing there are some that wish not to share the Pine Barrens although I am sure it is a very pleasant experience in the woods.
Do they do like races or controlled rides out there? I have seen markers (small stake with orange arrows) before all around the Hawkins Bridge/Washington area.

onehand

Explorer
Apr 11, 2005
potter co. pa.
i don't mind sharing the woods and roads with horses, i even pull over and shut off my engine if the horse seems skiddish, BUT i really get PISSED when they tear up the batona hiking trail behind carranza monument. the batona trail is padestrain traffic only !

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
I am now officially of the opinion that the Flotation Noodle is the
"Mylar Balloon" of the waterways.

I hate people.

Tred

Jun 15, 2006
Williamstown, NJ
popeofthepines said:
Do they do like races or controlled rides out there? I have seen markers (small stake with orange arrows) before all around the Hawkins Bridge/Washington area.

They're markers for enduro/ dual sport races in the woods. They're put up the day before a race and taken down after.:)