Tick`s & Chigger`s

davensj

Explorer
Apr 8, 2004
The Real South Jersey
Now that it`s that time of year for Tick`s and Chigger`s, Does anyone have any home remedies for the itching, how to get rid of Chigger`s and the proper way to remove a Tick???

B

bach2yoga

Manumuskin says he likes to soak in a tub full of epsom salts...
Shower, the rub castor oil....
for itching...
Tea tree oil, apple cider vinegar, crushed pennyroyal leaves...poultice of cooked, cooled oatmeal (real oatmeal, not the instant stuff)...rub the bite with a moist aspirin tablet..take a bath in colloidal oatmeal, like the stuff used for chicken pox (Aveno sells in grocery or drug store)

Not so home remedies include OTC antihistamines, such as hydrocortisone, analgesics and anesthetics. Benadryl is a common one, and Chigger-X...Calamine, Caladryl

Nail polish doesn't work...some people use anti-hemorrhoidal cream; even meat tenderizer.

Personally, I don't think anything works really really well. :( Then add in that chiggers can get through the weave of most fabrics (particularly shirts).

BTW, I haven't tried it yet but will be this year--the best repellent for chiggers is supposed to be powdered sulfer, which is supposed to be sold at pharmacy. Imagine I won't be smelling too pretty. :)

Renee

JIMBO

Scout
Mar 31, 2003
Nugentown NJ
I’ve used something called Chiggeraid got it in New Egypt in a Pharmacy on 539. I don’t remember the name of the place but it was next to a bar. It works best for the itch.

B

bach2yoga

I used that...it works for a little while, enough to get back to sleep....they say that women, especially thinner women, have a more difficult time with the itch, because of thinner skin. waiting for a joke on that one... :lol:

bunnymom3

Explorer
Sep 27, 2003
Waretown
www.geocities.com
hmmm thats why I don't itch afterwards.

For tick removal I found tea tree oil works best. Made them back right out and your cleaning the spot at the same time. My friend swears by a tick spoon. It takes them right out and never leaves the head. Walmart use to carry them I don't know if they still do. If they do it would be in their pet section.

Nykki

B

bach2yoga

Never heard of a tick spoon!
Tea tree oil is fantastic stuff, has a million and one uses.

Gerania

Explorer
May 18, 2004
Marlton
davensj said:
Oh yea,,, where do you get it at???
I've only ever seen it at health food stores. Some pharmacy items contain Tea Tree Oil but I've never seen it as a seperate item there.

Gillian

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
permanone or duranon,two brand names that have the chemical peremethrin in them will keep chiggers off you.spray on your woods clothes and lasts two weeks thru repeated washings.the stuff works.I"ve walked thru chigger grass and then put my white pant legs up to watch them die and fall off in seconds.not supposed to be applied to skin.i have and am still breathing but not in my right mind.then again last week I turned 40.as BEHR would say AGE :)
Al