Tick sighting

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I was wandering through some pretty dense brush today near my home and to my surprise found 3 ticks crawling on my pants. They seemed a little drowsy, and I didn't get any bites though. It was 43 degrees here this afternoon, and about 30 last night. Three days till Christmas and the little devils are still out there - wow!

It's been getting down into the 20's for the past few nights - I thought that would have put an end to them.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It has to get really cold for a few days to put them to rest. We have not had that yet.

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Well at least I came home bloody from all the sticker vines I went through - so it was a great day in the pines by your defintion Guy! :dance:

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
It has been colder here, no ticks, but they could be coming back out with a week of milder weather in the 40s. That's why I like it as cold as possible.

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
I found a tick crawling along my bluejeans the other day. "It's December!" I said to the fella, before punting him back into the woods. Who knows, maybe, before long, we'll enjoy their company year 'round. :(

Bill

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
My outside cat has been turning up with ticks on him even a couple days ago. He's not just some stray. He's very clean, neutered and shots current so we do check him regularly. I was surprised when my wife found a tick the other day.

g.

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
My outside cat has been turning up with ticks on him even a couple days ago. He's not just some stray. He's very clean, neutered and shots current so we do check him regularly. I was surprised when my wife found a tick the other day.

g.
You should probably Frontline him if you don't already. There are some icky tick borne diseases that cats can get.

Gerania

Explorer
May 18, 2004
Marlton
Yes, leeches and maggots have proven themselves invaluable; I do wonder about the tick. They seem to be nothing but trouble.

It is said that everything is put on this earth for a reason and has a purpose. But I just cannot figure out what purpose a tick has. Anyone have any ideas of their worth?

Oct 25, 2006
It is said that everything is put on this earth for a reason and has a purpose. But I just cannot figure out what purpose a tick has. Anyone have any ideas of their worth?

To suck out our and animals blood, just like chiggers, gnats, greenheads, mosquitoes, and so on and so on.

Jim

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
Actually it's been colder than normal, at least up here, since Mid-November. We've already had quite a few days that didn't get above freezing. It has gotten warmer this week, tomorrow will be a toasty 57 (yuck). Hopefully it will get cold again, winter has just started. The very warm October probably has alot to do with the ticks still being around (at least in S-NJ), heck, the landscaping trucks are still plying the roads and doing leaf clean up....around the holidays!
I have been lucky though, last Tuesday I took a narrow trail toward a road that dead ended, had to go through the brush for a 1/2 mile or so and I didn't get any ticks on me.
Highs only made it to the mid 30s that day.

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
Yes, leeches and maggots have proven themselves invaluable; I do wonder about the tick. They seem to be nothing but trouble.

I always thought this was an interesting assertion. Every species has a purpose to benefit what? Us?

It's all a matter of fitting into a niche. I wouldn't say every species has a purpose, but I would say that they're around because they've found a way to survive, grow and reproduce.