Tick today

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I use it now and I have to say it is not working as well as I thought it would. I sprayed it on Friday night, and yesterday I had them walking all over me and had to pull two of them out from around my waist. They seemed to not be effected at all by it.

I went looking for more on Friday also, and both WallMart and Dicks near me don't have it anymore.

Guy

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I use it now and I have to say it is not working as well as I thought it would. I sprayed it on Friday night, and yesterday I had them walking all over me and had to pull two of them out from around my waist. They seemed to not be effected at all by it.

I went looking for more on Friday also, and both WallMart and Dicks near me don't have it anymore.

Guy

You have to saturate the cloth, then let dry. I apply it from the knees down on pants and on socks and boots. It lasts several washings. It would be nice if they made something to add to the wash. It is available mail order at Campmor's, they usually deliver next day if you order before noon.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___56624

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I did saturate them and hung them on my shed door to dry. Still got ticks. I will buy once more and try for the third time, and if that does not work I am giving up. I hate using chemicals anyway.

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
That's odd, it's always worked great for me. But maybe you are walking through areas with huge amounts of ticks? I think it's important to spray your shoes and socks also.

I hope they are not become resistant to it!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I will try again as soon as I can find it. The WallMart in Deptford will be my next try.

Guy

Woodjin

Can I wear one of these collars? I mean, if they work for furry dogs why can't they work for us. It will be the new rural fashion. I mean, i wouldn't wear it to a wedding or anything, but casual outdoor apparel.

Jeff
Why not wear it to a wedding? ("With this collar, I thee wed!") I mean, I'd wear 'em to church if it kept me safe from critters. Sometimes I'm inclined to services deep in the pines. (Sermon of the week - look at them miracles of nature!) If'n it's good enough for the little guys, why not us? (Although you may have to wear more of them according to your weight!) And you can accessorize with them. (Hang your keys from them, hold up your socks, lace your boots, anything!) The choices are only limited by your perception of reality, though mine might be due to drinkin' my own squeezin's! God save the USA and God help the Pines!

"Muskrat - the other white meat!"

Apr 30, 2009
Deer ticks...the smaller ones that are the shape of a Sesame seed (which are the main carrier of lymes), are out all year long, but like the cooler temps......the winters here don't get cold enough to kill them off. When it is really cold....of corse they probably won't be out, but if it is mild....I've gotten them in winter. So always check yourself for ticks after a stroll in the woods in every season.

The lone star and dog ticks come out in warmer weather.

Chiggers come out full blown in Aug./Sept. and stay until Oct./Nov. (Some biologists will argue that jersey doesn't have chiggers at all, but they are nymphs-baby ticks-. They are so small, smaller than beach sand so when they bite people you just scratch and don't realize it was a tick because when you scratch them the small tick can't hold on and will fall off and bite somewhere else. Then there will be a welt from it so they think it was a chigger. What ever you want to call them....they still suck.)

I walk in the woods and carry a lint roller or duck tape....every time I stop I will use the lint roller to get all the ticks off.....it helps a lot. It also made me see for the first time what the biologist was saying about the nymps....I'm not a bug person so I can't be sure what they were....but they were friggan small. I also used clear tape and put them under a scope...Still don't know what they are...but they do look like small ticks. To me they itch so much more than a larger tick bite. So, I still call them chiggers due to how I react to the bite.

Hope this helps. (Sorry...I'm a rambler....and can't sleep)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I will try again as soon as I can find it. The WallMart in Deptford will be my next try.

Guy

Jessica and my wife were there today and they don't have it either. I will have to look around some more.

Guy

Mts83

Explorer
Oct 24, 2008
Sourland Mountains
www.wtfda.info
That's interesting. I've wandered around the Delaware Water Gap many times and was up there a week and a half ago again. I have never seen a tick on any of my walks.

They are out in full force here, but I don't even think about them anymore. I just use my permethrin treated clothes and they are not an issue. I felt one on my leg under my pants a couple days ago. Reached down to grab it and it was all curled up, dying from contacting my socks and pants on the way up.

Boyd, I found it odd as well. This was the first time I had experienced so many ticks being out in the Water Gap. Usually you don't see any.

Down here in Atlantic County is no comparison though, and they're usually the baby ones. I stuck my hand into the woods last year to get something off the side of the road, only to pull it back and find that my hand was brown. Here I had stuck my hand into a nest of ticks- there were thousands on my hand.

I stuck my hand into the woods last year to get something off the side of the road, only to pull it back and find that my hand was brown. Here I had stuck my hand into a nest of ticks- there were thousands on my hand.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I have had over a hundred tiny ones I assumed were from a nest on a few occasions. As I understand it the smallest stage of Lyme tick has only 6 legs, but who's counting? I just get 'em off me best I can and hope there's no more! Too small for bait. Uncle Rod had a couple of dogs that used to "tick" (actually, de-tick) each other. Maybe I need a partner........:rofl:

Mts83

Explorer
Oct 24, 2008
Sourland Mountains
www.wtfda.info
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I have had over a hundred tiny ones I assumed were from a nest on a few occasions. As I understand it the smallest stage of Lyme tick has only 6 legs, but who's counting? I just get 'em off me best I can and hope there's no more! Too small for bait. Uncle Rod had a couple of dogs that used to "tick" (actually, de-tick) each other. Maybe I need a partner........:rofl:

When it happened to me I ran back to my house (~1/4 mi) and used the outside hose to get most of them off. Once I could see that most of the "brown" was off my hand I went inside and scrubbed and submerged my hand for a while. It was bad, somehow I got them all though.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Jessica and my wife were there today and they don't have it either. I will have to look around some more.

Guy

My wife purchased me 4 cans at WallMart in Turnersville today, right after she fell off the curb on the Black Horse Pike and injured herself. But I got my spray :D

Guy

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
I treated my clothes with Coulstons Duranon tick repellent the friday night before the last pbx hike and I have to say it worked real good, I found 2 ticks on me all day and that was when we were having lunch and I was sitting on the ground. I have had the can since 2001 and never used it, I think I am going to use it more in the future.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I treated my clothes with Coulstons Duranon tick repellent the friday night before the last pbx hike and I have to say it worked real good, I found 2 ticks on me all day and that was when we were having lunch and I was sitting on the ground. I have had the can since 2001 and never used it, I think I am going to use it more in the future.

That has 0.5% permethrin in it.

http://www.shootnhunt.com/insect_repellent/2001935.html

Guy

wis bang

Explorer
Jun 24, 2004
East Windsor
That's interesting. I've wandered around the Delaware Water Gap many times and was up there a week and a half ago again. I have never seen a tick on any of my walks.

They are out in full force here, but I don't even think about them anymore. I just use my permethrin treated clothes and they are not an issue. I felt one on my leg under my pants a couple days ago. Reached down to grab it and it was all curled up, dying from contacting my socks and pants on the way up.

My camp is just north of Marshalls Creek, PA about 10 - 15 miles north of the Water Gap. The ticks are out full force. I've been battling them full force since I started spring turkey hunting 4 yrs ago.

I used to live in the Pocono woods and only ever had one tick up until a few years ago.

You can get Pemrithrium in Ortho 'total kill' insecticide at Home Depot, $8.00 and change for a quart of 2.5% solution. Take a spray bottle marked and dillute it 4:1 w/ water to make the 0.5% solution like the spray cans. For less than two cans of Repel you get enough to last a few years.