Tick today

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
You can get Pemrithrium in Ortho 'total kill' insecticide at Home Depot, $8.00 and change for a quart of 2.5% solution. Take a spray bottle marked and dillute it 4:1 w/ water to make the 0.5% solution like the spray cans. For less than two cans of Repel you get enough to last a few years.

A nice tip. The cans add up with both of us using it.

Guy

NJBill

Explorer
Sep 10, 2008
Hamilton (Mercer County)
A nice tip. The cans add up with both of us using it.

Guy

Just to add a note, Ortho makes a number of different products with "TotalKill" on their label. What you should be looking for I believe is Ortho TotalKill's Lawn & Garden Insect Killer and of course confirm by looking at the label that the only ingredient is permithren should you want to try this approach. I have not tried this myself, just noted this in researching further.

Bill

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I wonder why they call it TotalKill when it doesn't kill ticks, it just seems to annoy them? Or maybe it kills them later???

Guy

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I wonder why they call it TotalKill when it doesn't kill ticks, it just seems to annoy them? Or maybe it kills them later???

Guy

Permethrin kills by excitement :D and does kill ticks. Check the info sheet at the link, but you have to be careful how you use it as it is toxic to bees, fish and other critters. Today looks like an excellent day for tick collecting :siren:

"Permethrin is toxic to honey bees and other beneficial insects, fish, aquatic insects, crayfish, and shrimp. For many species, concentrations of less than one part per billion are lethal. Permethrin causes deformities and other developmental problems in tadpoles, and reduces the number of oxygen-carrying cells in the blood of birds."

http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/Permtech.pdf

wis bang

Explorer
Jun 24, 2004
East Windsor
Just to add a note, Ortho makes a number of different products with "TotalKill" on their label. What you should be looking for I believe is Ortho TotalKill's Lawn & Garden Insect Killer and of course confirm by looking at the label that the only ingredient is permithren should you want to try this approach. I have not tried this myself, just noted this in researching further.

Bill

Yup only active ingreedient @ 2.5% concentration