Today's trip 12/30

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Very nice! It is a shame that one can't make their own decisions on where they want to be when the weather is not perfect. What one person thinks is dangerous, others may not.

Guy

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Very nice! It is a shame that one can't make their own decisions on where they want to be when the weather is not perfect. What one person thinks is dangerous, others may not.

Guy

Unfortunatley those types of decisions left to the ordinary person often puts others in harms way when they are called on to extricate those that get themselves into a bad situation. The jetty at Barnegat is not a place to be in very strong NNW winds and freezing temps. Perhaps with the proper footwear and clothing, but I have never seen a birder out there wearing corkers :rolleyes:

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
I’m reminded of how much my wife and I enjoyed viewing the Harlequins the last time we were at BLSP in the winter. We need to get back out there! I did manage to see thousands of Scaup yesterday in the bay off Parker’s Cove. I was lying on the marsh at the time, covered with salt hay watching over my Bufflehead decoys. I love winter anyplace on the bay. The variety of bird species is so great and there’s something about being out there during extreme conditions that others will not endure that makes it even more special.

I can go with either side of the jetty issue. I am confident enough of my own abilities to safely deal with treacherous situations and hate being lumped by land managers with the morons who continually defy Darwinism’s best attempts to improve our population. But I’ve also been in the shoes of those described by 46er, having to go back to work at least a few evenings each month to rescue hikers who can’t follow the simplest blazed trail or map and find their selves lost long after sundown. These incidents often involve the local police department and sheriff department’s canine unit as well. But the overriding consideration that guides most park regulations these days is liability concerns. We can thank the lawyers and all those in our population who look at incidents on the property of others as a winning lottery ticket.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
there’s something about being out there during extreme conditions that others will not endure that makes it even more special.

If you like being alone or semi alone, that is one way to satisfy your preference.

Guy

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Walking the jetty has nothing to do with outdoor survival skills. If the Coasties think the jetty should be off limits, then its off limits. Its their playground. If you disagree, their station is just a short walk from the park. I'm sure they would accept your complaint with a smile. The 'police officer' was only the messenger.

As for the Korkers®, check their catalog, lots to select from. Its at the link you requested. Enjoy your evening.

http://korkers.com/index.php

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I totally agree with the freedom crowd.

nuff said.

I totally agree with the freedom crowd.

nuff said.

I was waiting for this and would have been disappointed if you had not posted :D

But then again 46er has a good point in the fact that maybe you or I would not have a problem, but there are some people who just should not be there putting those who have to rescue them in danger .If I had to be the one to rescue people all the time I might think twice about giving them free rein to be there.

Guy

swwit

Explorer
Apr 14, 2005
:rolleyes: If anyone thinks that they know how to combat the forces of mother nature they're just plain wrong. When the wind or water wants to take you it will. Why? Because you're no match for it's strength. At that point it really doesn't matter what gear you're wearing.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
Today we started out a Barnegat Light State Park. It was really blowing hard and hard to pick up much fowl because of the rough conditions. About a 100' on to the jetty after leaving the concrete railed walk, we found the pair of Harlequin Ducks.

Nice! My wife and I usually go to Brigantine, but my brother heard about the Harlequin Ducks at Barnegat so we may drive down Sunday to try and catch a glimpse.

tom m

Explorer
Jan 9, 2006
Hammonton,NJ.
Harlequin Ducks!

I went down to the Light House on sunday.01/04 to see them ,but did any one see the Long Tailed Ducks ? Formerly know as Old Squaw ,there were around 20 of them along with the Harlequins.

tom m

Explorer
Jan 9, 2006
Hammonton,NJ.
I Know what you mean , The new names of some of the bird life is beyond me. I'm an avid bird watcher , have been for years along with my brother Piker56 and my Buddy Furball1. One of the best is the Lousiana Heron. Now called the tri colored heron, what are we talking about ,Pasta? I Love the old names and always will. Brigantine is by far my favorite place to bird watch . 90% of my life list came from there

tom m

Explorer
Jan 9, 2006
Hammonton,NJ.
This is interesting, we may have crossed paths a hundred times and never knew it. I was there when they first put the peregrine fledglings in the hacking station, The courier post was there and took pics , so i've seen it change over the years. they are redoing leeds eco trail, fixing your board walk and all, thank GOD, My brother and I used to love that trail. Well if you ever see a Green f-150 with a big polock in it that'll be me. Bass pro stickers and all.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
Tom, when you said you saw long tailed ducks, I had no clue what you were talking about. I looked in my field guide (from about 1980) and couldn't find them. I didn't even know the name had changed. I guess it's finally time for a new field guide :)