Today's trip 12/30

tom m

Explorer
Jan 9, 2006
Hammonton,NJ.
I wasn't aware that the Towhee changed , My old Petersons guide showed only the Eastern, I have a new one but is not in front of me , I'll have to check it out . I know if any one from the Audubon Society heard me describe the birds I see they would be appalled ( because I refuse to call them by there " New Names"). Well what ever they call them I will always enjoy watching them with my Binoculars that are also from the 70's lol.I think i will take a jaunt down to Brigantine tomorrow if i don't work again.

tom m

Explorer
Jan 9, 2006
Hammonton,NJ.
I never Got out , it was raining so hard I just decided to chill out and rerlax at home . Snowy Owls ? I've heard of sightings but never had the pleasure of seeing any in the wild,Maybe i'll head that way on Sunday instead. I've never been there though could ya help with Directions? Good luck and have Fun

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
I had heard about the Snowy Owls. Let us know if you see one, and good luck! I hope to get out on Sunday, perhaps to Brigantine.

Greg

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
So far this winter at Brigantine I've seen 2 adult Bald Eagles (at experimental pond) and an immature Bald Eagle (also near the experimental pond area as well as the 1st observation tower. There were also sightings of a Golden Eagle and a Short Eared Owl, although I haven't seen either one of them this year. Good luck on Sunday. If I get there, it won't be until late afternoon.
Greg

PancoastDrifter

Explorer
Dec 7, 2008
www.flickr.com
I used to do allot of engineering work and even played golf in Brigantine, but I don't know where the areas your mentioning are. If I just drive through the city towards the peninsula (15th street N) will I find these areas? Is it accessible by non four wheel drive?

tom m

Explorer
Jan 9, 2006
Hammonton,NJ.
The Area that piker56 is talking about is the forsythe refuge on rt. 9 . coming from Smithville south , it is about 1-2 miles on the left ,you come to a traffic light . make a left and that takes you right into the refuge. it is a 4 dollar entrance fee unless you have a pass. we still call it Brigantine wildlife refuge.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
I used to do allot of engineering work and even played golf in Brigantine, but I don't know where the areas your mentioning are. If I just drive through the city towards the peninsula (15th street N) will I find these areas? Is it accessible by non four wheel drive?

Sorry for the confusion. I really need to start calling it by it's proper name (Forsythe National Wildlife Refuge). Once you get there (follow Tom M's directions) There is an 8 mile hard packed dike to drive around that takes you out onto a marsh. There is also a hiking trail, round trip it's about 3 miles or so. It's 4 dollars entrance fee, 12 dollars for a yearly pass, or if you have a duck stamp, entrance is free.
Greg

PancoastDrifter

Explorer
Dec 7, 2008
www.flickr.com
The Area that piker56 is talking about is the forsythe refuge on rt. 9 . coming from Smithville south , it is about 1-2 miles on the left ,you come to a traffic light . make a left and that takes you right into the refuge. it is a 4 dollar entrance fee unless you have a pass. we still call it Brigantine wildlife refuge.

OK - thanks. That makes it even closer for me...

tom m

Explorer
Jan 9, 2006
Hammonton,NJ.
Hey Piker56, I'm going down to Brigantine one day this weekend , thought i would pass the invite on , I can do it Sunday afternoon If you can break away, don't know what yer plans are tho. Give a buzz ok?

PancoastDrifter

Explorer
Dec 7, 2008
www.flickr.com
Just looked the Forsythe National Wildlife Refuge page. I always thought this was only on both sides of Route 72. I go to the Bridge to Nowhere about once a month so I thought that was it. Thanks for the info, I might go down to "HQ" tomorrow. Is there a better time of day to see eagles?

tom m

Explorer
Jan 9, 2006
Hammonton,NJ.
Are you sure you looked up the Edwin B forsythe site? There is a part of it on rt 50 outside of Mayslanding and then the Refuge off of rt 9, but nothing off of rt 72.

tom m

Explorer
Jan 9, 2006
Hammonton,NJ.
That sounds Great ! I think i'm going to to go check out this Oswego River preserve off Causeway Rd. I just looked a the NJPB maps and Now I see that ijust continue past Oswego lake to get to it ,then i'll make my trek to Brigantine. I still may be there before seven if I can

tom m

Explorer
Jan 9, 2006
Hammonton,NJ.
Wow, That was a great day. I on the other hand got there about 10:00 and saw the Immature Bald and one Marsh hawk, several small birds that stayed just outside my vision, and the Mergansers ,Buffle Heads . On leeds point road I saw three Great Egretts and three Great Blues all congregating together ,that was a nice sight.It's always a good day when i go there

tom m

Explorer
Jan 9, 2006
Hammonton,NJ.
I alsotrierd to find the Oswego River Preserve. I didn't find that but i was in some very beautiful cedar swamps out there. There are alot more dirt roads out there then the NJPB maps show