Today's trip 12/30

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
1/11/09 - Forsythe NWR:
Our best bird of the day was a Eastern Phoebe right outside the restroom on the construction fence. I did get some nice photos of a Savannah Sparrow near the first tower, later we got an Imm. Bald eagle. We also got a merganser "Grand Slam", Hooded, Red-breasted, and Common. On Mott's Creek Rd we found a Great Egret - always a nice bird in mid-winter. There were some folks set up on the deck at Motts Creek Inn for the Eagle survey. They had counted 5 Bald Eagles for the day as of 12:45 pm. All in all a good, but not great day.

My wife and I saw your sighting of the Eastern Phoebe on the list (if it was you that wrote it?). We were there late (after 2:00). Question: have you ever seen an Albino Mallard? We saw a completely white duck in with a flock of Mallards. It got dark, so we we didn't go to Leeds point or Motts Creek. They are both good spots for us, usually. You're right, all in all a good day.
Greg

Furball1

Explorer
Dec 11, 2005
Florida
Snowy Owls

On January 2nd, 1997, the day after our 20th wedding anniversary, my wife and I went to Brigantine and saw two Snowy Owls, one on a cedar post and the other sitting in the marsh grass. They were so clear to see, close to the dike, and just sat there, moving their heads in a nearly 360 degree turn! I will never forget the sight of them on a clear, cold, sunny day on the marshes. : )

tom m

Explorer
Jan 9, 2006
Hammonton,NJ.
Hey Hawkin,
No that wasn't me , I have a green 92 F-150, But I do remember a vehicle that color but it was way in front of me and I only idle around , so you were gone before I even started LOL.

Furball1

Explorer
Dec 11, 2005
Florida
Mother Nature

That was a wonderful wedding anniversery gift from Mother Nature for you. The cedar post bird was a regular at that spot for quite awhile. I wish I'd had a better camera back then.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I know what you mean...my Minolta SRT-102 and 300 mm lense did not accompany us on that trip. I characterize myself as a "Redemptive Creationist", so for me and my wife our brief encounter with the owls was a serendipitous gift from God. I'm glad you and I shared in that beautiful event---were you there January 2?

Furball1

Explorer
Dec 11, 2005
Florida
Florida

Central Florida--30 miles north of Orlando, 25 miles from Canaveral National Seashore, in the historic town of Lake Helen. My best buddy is Tom M---I think you and he have been communicating. Tom and I have been avid outdoorsmen/birders for more than 35 years. I moved from NJ in 1997, but miss my buddy and the pinebarrens most of all.

tom m

Explorer
Jan 9, 2006
Hammonton,NJ.
Hey Hawkin, sounds like the three of us should get together down there if you were going , Shame. I added quite a number of Birds to my life list down there and hope to add more. I'll be with my Bud For ten days of sunshine and wildlife jaunts in the Beginning of March

Furball1

Explorer
Dec 11, 2005
Florida
Swallow-tailed Kites

There are times when my wife and I are outside our house and dozens of STK's fly roof-top level. They are now my favorite bird-of-prey. Tom and I are going to Juniper Springs Wilderness Area and will canoe the creek, planning to run to Lake George. There are Atlantic Cedars down there and I never realized that this area is the southern limit of their range. The Florida Trail is another planned trip. We love to fish, so fishing will occupy most of our time. Fishing at Wildcat Lake in the Ocala NF. We will fish the Banana River with the canoe (no motors allowed, a strictly enforced Manatee zone) as well as the waters around Canaveral---the northern entrance near New Smyrna Beach, which is less than 30 miles from my house. There's a huge Timicuan peoples shell midden there called Turtle Mound, believed to be one of the largest in the country. Also, Lake Woodruff NWR, where you can bird AND fish--no motor vehicles are allowed on the dikes but bike/canoes/kayaks are OK. We'll head down to Kissimmee Lake to sight some Whooping Cranes. Praying for great weather. Fishing on the St. Jonh's River, less than 5 miles from my home. Camping/Fishing at Tiger Bay State Forest, and of course, we have a guide lined up to take us to the Stick Marsh, THE Bass Capital of the world! Tom will be exhausted by the time he heads home!!! LOL!!!!! BTW, I have been here 9 years, never once stepped foot on ANY Disney property!

Furball1

Explorer
Dec 11, 2005
Florida
Blue Springs

Oh, and Blue Springs State Park for a swim, I don't care what the ambient temp. is, the water will be a cozy 71 degrees--BSSP is 6 miles from my house. I don't think Tom has ever seen a Florida Spring, so we're gonna get up REAL close, underwater that is, and yes, Mastadon and Cave Bear and Giant sloth bones and other fossils like sharks treeth have been found in the springs. I once swam with a family of Otters at BSSP.!!!!

tom m

Explorer
Jan 9, 2006
Hammonton,NJ.
I'm going From March 5th to the 15th ,so I guess i will be missing the dinner. I hate to bring up a sad note tho, Florida is totally dependent on work ,which i haven't been doing alot of so if we get really busy then i have to try and fix my finances, But i'm very hopeful about it tho.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
Furball1,
Merritt Is. NWR, Ocala Nat'l Forest (Juniper Springs campground), and Paynes Prairie are some of my favorite birding spots in your area. This year will be the first time in 7 years that we haven't driven down for birding/cruise/Daytona 24hr - I am NOT happy about that! We also love the 'Glades, Shark Valley, Corkscrew Swamp, Myakka River, and Ding Darling NWR.
It's only a matter of time, either by accident or design, before Tom M and I run into each other!

Anywhere in the glades,and Corkscrew Swamp are my 2 favorite places in Florida. It's been a few years but look forward to getting there again.

tom m

Explorer
Jan 9, 2006
Hammonton,NJ.
Believe it or not My first ever Plane flight was Feb. of 07 and it was with Spirit, I was very happy with the flight ,Nervous out of my gourd but a cool experience. I have a Niece who lives in Georgia, I could visit her and try to find the Ivory Billed , What a Life list addition that would be !!! My First Pileated was down there with Furball1! Awesome looking Bird

Furball1

Explorer
Dec 11, 2005
Florida
If you cancel...

I'm going From March 5th to the 15th ,so I guess i will be missing the dinner. I hate to bring up a sad note tho, Florida is totally dependent on work ,which i haven't been doing alot of so if we get really busy then i have to try and fix my finances, But i'm very hopeful about it tho.

I'll go by myself!