Tootling among the Pines

Rooftree

Explorer
Mar 24, 2017
Haddon Township
Being a recently new member, this is my first trip report. I decided to take a trip this past week to one of my favorite places deep in the pines. With my Wawa coffee in hand and listening to WXPN playing 1967 tunes (Groovin', on a Thursday afternoon....really couldn't get away to the pines too soon), I was off to do some tootling. Making two brief stops along the way to take a photo of some Iris prismatica along the roadside, and helping one of my slow piney friends get safely across the hardtop, I arrived at my destination. As they say, 'life is good'.

To get to this favorite spot (open wetland)s, I needed to get through a cedar swamp which usually has been a cakewalk, but with all the rain we been having, I had to do quite a bit of hummock hopping. Following a predetermined waypoint on my GPS to get to the clearing, I came upon several Arethusas right at that point. I didn't see any others. It was a lucky find.

It is normally very wet around the edges of this wetland and some grass clump hopping is required. But even more so today. I was last here in mid-July last year when the Nartheciums were in bloom. With the entire area more swishy then normal (going down over my boot in one spot), and to avoid tramping on the abundant of Nartheciums coming up and probably a large quantity of Tofiedia that were present last year, I shorten my exploring considerably. To date, I found 15 flowering plant here.
IMG_3001.JPG
IMG_3013.JPG
IMG_3020.JPG
IMG_3028.JPG
IMG_3036.JPG
IMG_3039.JPG
IMG_3040.JPG
IMG_3042.JPG
IMG_3047.JPG
IMG_3049.JPG

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
Very nice! I love the pitcher plant flowers. The old timers used to call them 'dumbwatches', as they appeared like a clock with no hands.

Rooftree

Explorer
Mar 24, 2017
Haddon Township
NJChilehead; Al, takes for the kind words and the other 'likes' received. I actually thought I would get more comments on the lyrics of the song in the text then my photography. I like to take pictures at a different angle to get a different perspective of the subject. Either straight on or even looking up. Getting the camera low to the ground I really don't know what I have for sure until I get home. In addition to the main subject I like get what there is around it. It tell more of the story. So at times I get a depth of field problem mainly when the main subject is small. I need to learn the camera better since I only use the automatic focus. The other thing I get with this camera, is when taking pictures of pastel colors I get at times a blur wash effect.

Al, by the way, you have been in this area where these pictures were taken. I've been a long time guest of this site since roaming the pines in 2008. I met Bob in Bamber back in March and after a brief visit, he convince me to finally join and to use that 'foreign language' when talking about plants.

Reactions: manumuskin

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
NJChilehead; Al, takes for the kind words and the other 'likes' received. I actually thought I would get more comments on the lyrics of the song in the text then my photography. I like to take pictures at a different angle to get a different perspective of the subject. Either straight on or even looking up. Getting the camera low to the ground I really don't know what I have for sure until I get home. In addition to the main subject I like get what there is around it. It tell more of the story. So at times I get a depth of field problem mainly when the main subject is small. I need to learn the camera better since I only use the automatic focus. The other thing I get with this camera, is when taking pictures of pastel colors I get at times a blur wash effect.

Al, by the way, you have been in this area where these pictures were taken. I've been a long time guest of this site since roaming the pines in 2008. I met Bob in Bamber back in March and after a brief visit, he convince me to finally join and to use that 'foreign language' when talking about plants.
have I met you Rooftree?

Rooftree

Explorer
Mar 24, 2017
Haddon Township
Al: No; we have never met. But I got to know you quite well by following this web site since 2008. I finally became a member back in April after meeting Bob. Being retired, I'm able to explore quite offend in the pines. I go down on weekdays only. Many times I don't see one person on my visits, sometimes not even a car on the unpaved roads.. I have bumped into two hunters along the way checking their stands in remote areas asking me if I was ok. I probably average 3 trips every 2 weeks, and never ran across any members of this site.

However, I won't get to the pines during the last 3 weeks of June. One of those weeks I'll be up in Whitedog, Ontario, about 200 miles northwest of International Fall, MN. I'll be at a fishing camp with a group of guys from Minnesota. This is my fourth trip. The camp is out on an island, and the fishing is great.

Reactions: Boyd and manumuskin

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I just got back from the Pines.I also am there mostly on week days because I usually have week days off.Rotating shifts and rotating days off,helluva way to live but it is what it is.The best advantage to it as you say is the Pines are empty on week days.You can drive,hike or kayak all day and hardly ever see anyone.