Trashy pines

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
I have been exploring the pinelands for well over 30 years, on foot, canoe, motorcycle and 4x4 and have been up and down most of the dirt roads hundreds of times. During many of these trips I often pick up much of the trash (mostly bottles and cans) left behind by ignorant people. Over the last few years, due to the increased trashing that occurs, I have been making trips for the sole purpose of clearing areas/dirt-roads of trash. In an hour or two I can easily pick up over 200 hundred bottles and cans. While I get a lot of satisfaction with the results, I do know that it will be trashed again, so for all who enjoy the peace and solitude that the pinelands provides please take the time to remove some of the trash that you will find when in the woods. You will be happy that you did.

Kevin

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
Glad to be a member of the site. The pines is an absolute treasure, especially considering it's location in the most dense state in the US, and I just don't understand why people would trash it like they do. I know most users of this forum would not add to the trash left behind by other uncaring idiots, but if everyone who went out to the woods picked up a trash bag or two worth of trash (wouldn't take long) it would go a long way towards keeping it what we like most about it. Clean, wild and unspoiled.

Oct 25, 2006
Glad to be a member of the site. The pines is an absolute treasure, especially considering it's location in the most dense state in the US, and I just don't understand why people would trash it like they do. I know most users of this forum would not add to the trash left behind by other uncaring idiots, but if everyone who went out to the woods picked up a trash bag or two worth of trash (wouldn't take long) it would go a long way towards keeping it what we like most about it. Clean, wild and unspoiled.

A lot of places that i go to in the pines is nothing but trash, trash, and more trash, i still to this day, like you said, cannot understand why people would do this, some people are just plain:pigfly:

Jim

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
Last fall, just at Friendship alone, Joe and I filled five jumbo sized bags. Then we filled three at the Hampton furnace.

I think it stems from poor upbringing, that sort of thing is a learned behavior: absolutely no consideration for other people and living creatures, as well as no respect for history. It's a shame that it happens, but I am afraid there will always be inconsiderate jerks in the world. I only hope that they are mosty kids, and will grow up knowing about consequences of their actions. I won't hold my breath though.

Hey! When did that happen?! I just turned into my parents!

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
I was at Friendship a few weeks ago and picked up a few more bottles. It wasn't all that bad, so your cleanup certainly helped. Further behind the foundation on the edge of the woods is a lot of broken glass that appears to be the results of target shooting. I took as much as I could, but being all broken it now becomes a much bigger and nastier job. I know a lot of the beer bottles and cans are from people who do not want to get caught with them, but I also find plenty of soda and water bottles, etc.
Thanks for your cleaning efforts, there is a pleasant sense of accomplishment when you view an area that you just cleaned. (and hope that it stays that way!)

BobNJ1979

Explorer
May 31, 2007
when i used to do "geocaching", my father and i would take a trashbag with us.. that quickly turned to multiple trashbags.. it's simply amazing the amount of trash out there . i would never think of just throwing something on the ground.. i guess it really does stem from upbringing..

mike242424

Explorer
Feb 17, 2007
Tabernacle
yeah exactly if its a bananna peel or an apple core well your just returning it to the earthm but man made garbage is ignorant and stupid to throw out your window

ZZ3GMC

Scout
Sep 19, 2003
Pemberton
Visit site
Ive been a part of forest cleanups and could not believe the amount of trash that we picked up! My pet peeve though, is the people that knowingly throw their trash in the back of their pick ups. They know its just going to blow out! How many times have you followed a p.u. truck and watched that WaWa coffee cup blowing around in circles before blowing out? I also cant stand finding the white deer feed bags all over the place during hunting season. I keep finding them on my property in front of the house, again, from people throwing the bags in the back of their trucks.

Mar 1, 2008
trash is a terrible thing to see in the pines. it really dimishes the beauty of the forest.

i think it's funny to see how many balloons end up in the pines that must have floated away.

NJ Pine Barrens: Where Balloons Come To Die

popeofthepines

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Atco
I agree that there is way too much trash out in the Pine Barrens. I found a very old ski mobile one time when I was out there. I try to pick trash up when I can. Just this past weekend we found a box for a child seat!! How does that make it out to Stokes Road not near any hard road? I guess the jersey devil needed a child seat? lol
It is amazing how many milar ballons I see on routine trips. It is indeed the place that balloons come to die.
And welcome Kevin and I agree 100% that the pine barrons are an absolute treasure.
Kevin

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown

Aaron

Explorer
Jul 29, 2007
I dont even understand how people can go to the Pine Barrens and litter, Arent they there to enjoy nature??? I know we have had discussions in the past about this subject. As long as my son isnt with me if i see someone litter i will confront them, if i see them litter in the barrens i will pick up there trash and bring it to them and tell them they must have dropped this by accident and hand them back there trash.

I wish there could be capital or corpral punishment for people that litter

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
I don't think you'll ever stop the trash being thrown out the window. It's easier to toss it than carry it out. It's good to know there are so many other people picking up trash when they're in the pines. At Washington on Sunday I filled a whole bag between the barn ruin and the large cellar hole (tavern?). One bottle was older and marked BERLIN BOTTLING CO. BERLIN,NJ. I Googled it and didn't really find anything. Does anybody know the history of the Berlin Bottling Co?

One bottle was older and marked BERLIN BOTTLING CO. BERLIN,NJ. I Googled it and didn't really find anything. Does anybody know the history of the Berlin Bottling Co?

Pine Baron:

In March 1906, Rudolph Kiehne acquired 80 White Horse Pike (or Main Street) in Berlin and began operating the Berlin Bottling Works. He had formerly operated a bottling plant at another location in Berlin beginning in 1900. Kiehne and his two sons made home delivery of their products until both sons died in the Spanish Influenza epidemic of 1918. Kiehne then closed his operation and sold the plant to Alexander Rosenberg in May 1920.

Rosenberg continued bottling operations until about 1945.

A 1931 book indicates the bottling works also manufactured ice.

The 1934 industrial directory contains the following:

Berlin Bottling Co., beverages, Berlin. Proprietor: Alexander Rosenberg, Employs 6 males.

The 1940-41 industrial directory lists:

Berlin Bottling Co., carbonated beverages, Berlin. Purchasing Agent/Plant Manager: Alexander Rsoenberg, employs 2 males.

After closing the plant, Rosenberg retired to Collingswood. The bottling plant saw a short resurgence when other people bottled a beverage called “Spur” there for a time.

Rosenberg lived at 78 White Horse Pike, located next to the bottling plant, and at some point in time, he constructed a one-story brick storefront on his dwelling and opened a liquor store. When he retired, he sold the liquor license and store to other folks.

The bottle you found represents local enterprise and you should enjoy it for what it is.

Congratulations—you found a keeper!!

Best regards,
Jerseyman