Trashy pines

Berlin Bottling Company

Folks:

When I assembled my original posting on the Berlin Bottling Company, I did not have the proper time available to dedicate to the research, so I only accessed and provided limited information. This evening I had more time, so I have greatly revised my original message. If you have a mind to do so, please reread my original posting.

Thanks!

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
Jerseyman:

Thank you for the excellent response to my question. You're resources are amazing. The bottle is a piece of local history so it's certainly a keeper. Unfortunately, it's broken near the top.

Attachments

• IMG_0460_2.jpg
    IMG_0460_2.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 266
I agree, the trash is a problem. Me and freinds try and do our part. We usually keep a trash bag out two out in the sand pit we ride the quads in, and take the trucks out there, and whatever we bring in goes in there or if we find stuff laying around it goes in there. Then when it gets filed we take it out.

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
Old Wheel

Exploring the woods west of Rte. 206, the kids and I found what might be a piece of trash that was dumped there from somebody's front yard. Maybe not. It appears to be, what is left of an old wagon wheel. It seems very old but it's hard to really determine the age. The remaining wood is very fragile and I am afraid to move/transport it for fear of destroying it. It's pretty cool to find something like this and not your average pile of beer bottles. Here are some pics.

Wheel.jpg

41.jpg

7.jpg

The wood is rotting away.
32.jpg

6.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Sue appears to be correct, that is an interesting find. Not sure how valuable it would be since it is quite degraded.

Guy

andy1015

Explorer
May 4, 2007
speaking of trash, if your heading towrads apple pie hill, coming from eagle or speedwell, right where the tracks are and you have several roads coming in. If you make a left right before the tracks there is a cement foundation. But all behind it is a huge pile of trash( you guys, may already know it had been there for some time, but the thread made me think of it) Tried to google pin point it but wasn't quite sure exactly where it was

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That was the location of the Pine Crest Gun Club. You can see it it my “Then and Now” gallery at the below link.

http://gallery.njpinebarrens.com/showphoto.php/photo/2176/cat/all/ppuser/7/sl/t

I have mentioned before that one Sunday morning in the late 1970’s we arrived there to find it had been vandalized and there was a chair on the peak of the roof. Apparently, the person or persons who had did it put it up there for fun. My friend knowing I liked to climb things bet me I could not make it up there and sit in the chair. Well, a bet is a bet and foolishly I easily was able to sit in the chair. When I started down the steep peaked roof my speed accelerated and I leaned on the chimney which unexpectedly broke off and fell to the ground. I have always regretted that incident and think about it often, and wish it had never occurred. BTW, notice the chimney in the photo.

I have been told the club was started and is still owned by members of the State Police or some sort of law enforcement agency. They use to hunt there from a bus I was told, but I have not viewed anyone there for a while.

Also, this post by me has links that do not work, but it is about the property.

http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/showthread.php?t=3407

Guy

andy1015

Explorer
May 4, 2007
very cool. Did you fall of the roof or just feel bad that you broke the chimney off? Also do you know when they knocked it down or it fell down? What the hell does an 11 minute turn mean?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I did not fall off. The chimney broke off and fell to the ground when I came down the roof too quickly and had to lean on it to stop from falling off.

The 11 minute turn was an error by a surveyor for the Pine Crest Gun club property. By minute we are talking Degrees, Minutes, Seconds not time. They own or owned a strip of land from the RR tracks all the way to the back of the Bordontown Gun Club on 532. I am assuming they wanted to make sure they had access to their club from 532. If for some reason the state closed off the roads to their club, they could make a road to the tracks and walk across them to their property. That is my assumption.

Guy

andy1015

Explorer
May 4, 2007
thanks guy, i assumed it wasn't time but wasn't sure if the mistake made thier land larger or smaller. if the mistake was in thier favor or the states favor

read post again and it seems the mistake was in favor of club, until they surveyed it and it went in favor of wharton. wish the links worked. But was it a freindly bet or you get some lunch

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
thanks guy, i assumed it wasn't time but wasn't sure if the mistake made thier land larger or smaller. if the mistake was in thier favor or the states favor

read post again and it seems the mistake was in favor of club, until they surveyed it and it went in favor of wharton. wish the links worked. But was it a freindly bet or you get some lunch

Friendly bet I wish I had lost.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I hope the person who left it there looses their freedom.

Guy

YETI

Scout
Mar 11, 2007
Berlin
I hope the person who left it there looses their freedom.

Guy

Me too. I filled the bed of my truck with tires that were dumped all over the area. I'm going to try to get some help and go back and get that out of there. I just have to figure out where I can dispose of it properly.

Paul

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
Happy to hear

It sure is nice to know that others are also cleaning up the woods. I knew you folks were out there, but it is nice to read about your efforts. The bottles and cans etc, are bad enough, but when you see large things like appliances etc, I just gotta believe that there is a close and legal place to dispose of those sort of things rather than dumping illegally.
The only good thing I can say about the trash problem is that if you are ever looking for something to do, finding trash in the pines to clean up is a guarantee!

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
When you said "big" today at work, that is not what I envisioned.
Damn. Any A-hole could have put that out for their township truck to pick up. Simple as a phone call.
Keep notes of where you see stuff so you can have a jump on the clean up. I know it may be frustrating to see the tires out there but you'll have a fun time getting rid of them. All year long I go with small attacks, telling myself I am doing some good, and save the big stuff for cleanup day.
With your new truck, you can be a huge help!

g.