Tuckerton Stage Road

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Boyd,

I canoed out to the fish plant once.their were no tresspassin signs all over the island.we drug the canoe up into the weeds and checked it out for about 20 minutes and then got out because a lot of boats were coming round and your right next to the coast guard and I believe they patrol the island.fascinating place but in an easy s[pot to get caught.
Al

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
BEHR655 said:
I see in Ben's photos that the shed for the gauging station at Mount has been knocked over. That must have occured within the past month as it was standing the last time I passed it.

Steve

I just received word that the gaging station at Mount has been repaired. I contacted the person who is in charge and he sent someone out. In his letter I was able to see all of his correspondence with the men in the field, and there has been a rash of vandalism recently. 4 shelters were damaged along with some electronic equipment damaged. Someone needs to be caught!

Guy

wis bang

Explorer
Jun 24, 2004
East Windsor
TeeGate said:
I just received word that the gaging station at Mount has been repaired. I contacted the person who is in charge and he sent someone out. In his letter I was able to see all of his correspondence with the men in the field, and there has been a rash of vandalism recently. 4 shelters were damaged along with some electronic equipment damaged. Someone needs to be caught!

Guy

It's seems to be getting worse. My family's hunting camp always got hit every few years. Sometimes just someone stayin' there a few days who actually cleaned up their dishes & left 'em in the rack on the sink. Then stealing coffee pots & toasters, etc. to sell @ the flea market for drug money. Lately it's just been senseless vandalism. After having to replace every pane of window glass [everything else just strewn about] we had to resort to shutters & expanded metal screening over the doors.

It always seems to die out for a while right after some local JuVee ends up going to 'camp' for 5 years...

someone needs to be caught.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
BEHR655 said:
You thinkin' what I'm thinkin'?

Help me out, for I am not on the same wavelength tonight. If you have to PM me.

Guy

ebsi2001

Explorer
May 2, 2006
southern NJ
Phila.--Tuckerton Stage Roads:Barnhart/Eagle Tavern

A document from another "researcher" recently crossed my desk. The document maintains that there were "...THREE stage roads that ran from Philadelphia to Tuckerton..." [emphasis mine]. One of the roads ran close to the "Speedwell Furnace," and on that road there was a tavern that, evidently, served as a hotel. According to Boyer, the tavern may have been called the "Barnhart Tavern;" later, it may have been called the "Eagle Tavern."

Can anyone trace the three afore-to-mentioned stage routes, pinpoint the location of the Barnhart/Eagle Tavern for me?

ebsi

ebsi2001

Explorer
May 2, 2006
southern NJ
Eagle Tavern

bruset said:
If I am not mistaken, Eagle tavern is located here.

It's even marked by a sign.

Many thanks for the map, Ben! It doesn't look like the Eagle Tavern is exactly on the "beaten path," today...

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=18&n=4402053&e=536941&size=l&datum=nad83

Do you have any idea of just what remains of the tavern? Does anyone have photos?

Supposedly, the tavern lie or was close to "...one of three stage roads from Philadelphia to Tuckerton..." Can you corroberate that statement, Ben?

ebsi

nitroracer1

May 30, 2006
Is there anywhere online that i might find all stagecoach routes in new jersey, mostley in ocean and monmouth county. i have searched with no avail.
Thanks
Kevin

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
nitroracer1 said:
Is there anywhere online that i might find all stagecoach routes in new jersey, mostley in ocean and monmouth county. i have searched with no avail.
Thanks
Kevin

I don't think there are any maps that only show stagecoach routes, but most old roads would have been used by stagecoaches. Check out the historical maps that I have for download here.

nitroracer1

May 30, 2006
Thank you your maps actually just helped me find the true location of squam beach,,, suposed to be a terasure ship out ther ut people have been looking at manasqaun but manasqaun se to be further south...AWSOME

Take care
Kevin

aserdaten

Scout
Jul 26, 2003
Ormond Beach, Florida
What is shown on old maps as Squan Beach is approximately where Point Pleasant Beach, Bay Head and Mantoloking are currently located. Manasquan is on the other side of the Manasquan River and Inlet, or north of old Squan Beach. I have no idea why Squan Beach was so far south of its namesake, Manasquan. Possibly the inlet didn't exist back then. In any event, the name Manasquan is a derivation of what the Indians called the area, although I can't recall the original translation.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Manasquan

SQUAW HAN is Lenni Lenape for Squaw.
So Manasquan in this case, and it's been spelled a bunch of ways, sorta means like a stream to the Island of squaws or perhaps the Island a place to keep squaws. Like an enclosure or safe village/area. I don't know that interpretation 100% myself.

My dad was stationed in Squan Coast Guard base when I was a kid, very cool. That particular base is right on the Manasquan inlet right at the top of Point Pleasant Beach. See it plain as day on Google Maps. It's view across the street is blocked now. I like my little piece of the Pinebarrens but truth be told I probably know a little more about South Jersey shore history than I do about the pines. One of the reasons I'm on this site.

G.

jokerman

Explorer
May 29, 2003
Manasquan
Wow, Squan history? I love it, I have to drive from Manasquan whenever I go down to the Pines. At last it's brought home!

Yes, the original path of the inlet into the manasquan river used to be north of the current one and the Coast Guard Station in Manasquan used to be located on the inlet, as the one in Point Pleasant. The inlet came in at the present location of the Squan Station and turned abruptly south to connect with the river. However, the old opening closed up and when the Manasquan was finally opened back up in the early 1900's, the mouth of the inlet was made more direct (to the south). That's why the Squan Coast guard station (Squan) is about 4 blocks from the current inlet. The water way that goes beneath the white bridge on Main Street that connects Stockton Lake and the river is the remnants of the original inlet route.

There also used to be a big lake that continued from the Glimmer Glass up to South Street. The area where the post office was part of the lake and the stream still goes through there. I think there might have been a mill just west of South Street too, but not sure yet.

Don't forget, the Pine Barrens biome continues right up into the Wall Twp. and Manasquan areas. We are Pine Barrens here too...just not the deep kind!

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
jokerman said:
Wow, Squan history? I love it, I have to drive from Manasquan whenever I go down to the Pines. At last it's brought home!

In the 70's I loved it as a kid! I actually did live right in Point Pleasant though, just 3 houses or so behind the base in one of those little cottages.
You could see right across the road to the inlet and the guys used to play volleyball right next to the station. I remember the BeniHana boat races, the littletrain that had tracks on the beach,night walks with my dad to tend generator shacks. There was a quaint little diner where everone used to go, it was long and thin I think. The major hang in town was Jack Ford's Bar. I had to walk over the bridge off the point to get my school bus 'cause the busses didn't come to the point.Let me stop.We would come back down here on weekends to be with family. I go up there every year to plunge and now some of what I see just saddens me.

G.

jokerman

Explorer
May 29, 2003
Manasquan
Thanks for sharing your early memories of Point. At least we got to see it back then. Yes, it was great around here before the wave of development ruined a lot of the beauty and character of the area. We still have Allaire State Park and there's still a lot to explore. I really love the history of my locality.