Tuckerton Stage Road

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Yes very interesting. I think I read part of it elsewhere. I like this part:

"set ourselves down to a dish of Politics as we where all Demoes could not of had much agreement"

Nothing ever changes. I wonder what they disagreed with back then. Dems did not do much of social program promotion back then, did they?

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
One idea that I have is that there were two different Tuckerton stages. One from Philadelphia, and one from Marlton. The Phila one took the route that I used today, and the one from Marlton took the other one.

I would be inclined to believe that the route through Flyatt and into Washington is correct, but there is a LOT of material (even from Beck's later books) that suggest that QB and Mount were on the Tuckerton Road.

After much research, I've discovered that the stage road ran thru Erlton to Marlton then on to Piper's Corner. Here the road split into the NORTH route and the SOUTH route. This confused me for years. The north route followed present day Tuckerton Rd to Hampton Gate, over High Crossing(before it was High Crossing) and on to Washington. The South route started before Piper's Corner where present day Atsion Rd splits from the Tuckerton Rd. There was a tavern on this road at what is now the entrance to Goshen Pond. The stage road then went on to Quaker Bridge, Mount, and met up with the North route in Washington. They both then went on to cross the Wading R. at Bodine's, on to French's/Bass River tavern and from here into Tuckerton. Most of the both routes can still be travelled except where you need to cross the Wading. I've had alot of fun following these old stage roads.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

I have been helping someone from far away with acquiring photo’s of the Bareford Graves in the Colestown Cemetery located in Cherry Hill. The Bareford’s owned the Bareford Hotel in Marlton that now is the 7-11 property as I mentioned in a previous post in this thread. The hotel was torn down in 1965 and my mom and brother watched it fall. Anyway, this was a stop on the Tuckerton stage route to the shore. Their property extended across Route 73 at N. Maple Ave and the swampy area next to the WaWa was what the locals called a Marl Hole. Marl was dug there for fertilizer, and when I was a kid hundred’s of people would descend on the Marl Hole every year to ice skate. Today is a one tenth the size of it’s former self. The person who contacted me after seeing this thread says their grandfather, Uzziel Bareford may have been killed by a man named Charles Frazier and buried in one of the Marl Holes. He always carried large amounts of money on his person and that was what Charles Frazier was after. After finding the graves I found that Charles Frazier is buried in the Bareford lot making me wonder if this story may not be factual, or Charles Frazier acquired more than just money. He may have acquired the Bareford property and cemetery lot and used it for his final trip :)

IMG_1328.JPG

IMG_1343.JPG

All stones inside the circles are in the Bareford plot.

IMG_1349.JPG

Guy

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
Guy,
I too used to ice skate at the Marl Hole.....cool. Anyhow, I had a friend who came across old info from the Colestown Cemetery and folks interred there. I believe I copied the info for my own files and will look it up for you this evening and let you know. I was in Marlton while the hotel was there, but do not remember it. I do remember a big, old house behind the 7-11 that sat on a rise and faced Rt. 70. Seems to me I recall that they sold Christmas trees during holiday season....????

turtle

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Guy,
I too used to ice skate at the Marl Hole.....cool. Anyhow, I had a friend who came across old info from the Colestown Cemetery and folks interred there. I believe I copied the info for my own files and will look it up for you this evening and let you know. I was in Marlton while the hotel was there, but do not remember it. I do remember a big, old house behind the 7-11 that sat on a rise and faced Rt. 70. Seems to me I recall that they sold Christmas trees during holiday season....????

turtle

That was Watson's Lumber Yard. I went there in 8th grade while in Evans School and bought a piece of wood for a school project. There was a really big old man there who took my 80 cents and gave me a slip of paper to take out to the man sawing the wood.

Guy

secretwolfeyes

Sep 14, 2009
Update on Philadelphia Tuckerton Stagecoach Trail

Was Curious if anyone was still checking out the stagecoach trail from Philadelphia to Tuckerton .. was out exploring one day and found part of the same old stagecoach road cutting off to the north going thru my boyfriends front yard..it actually cuts north off the now Tuckerton Rd towards the direction of a historical graveyard on Carranza Rd. We walked part of it on the property..its pretty amazing and obviously the trail.. But its a shame that houses have been built up around it..leaving only the section on his property that you can see..possibly exploring further might show more of the trail..

Here's a picture to illustrate... I've also marked the area of the cemetery off Carranza Rd.

http://beaniam.com/tuckerton.jpg

Map http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...415,-74.707503&spn=0.029667,0.066047&t=h&z=15

Any Further information would be helpful..

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I am somewhat confused on what you are saying. Are you saying the yellow line heading into the woods is another stage line? Do you have some info saying that it is from that era? It could be just a more modern road that no longer is in use.

Guy

secretwolfeyes

Sep 14, 2009
yes it is.. we actually looked it up on a very old topographical map all the way back from the 40's and it shows that road..it is a small road off of the main stagecoach rd that runs from tuckerton north to carranza.. its very visable as you can see the indents very planly thru the woods. I was thinking of taking some pictures of it..maybe that could help you out a bit.. did you know of any other small roads branching off of the stagecoach trail?

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
I know that road very well but is just fragments now, much being erased by new houses, a gravel pit and farming. I have walked it since 1974 and it always looked old and unused.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
yes it is.. we actually looked it up on a very old topographical map all the way back from the 40's and it shows that road..it is a small road off of the main stagecoach rd that runs from tuckerton north to carranza.. its very visable as you can see the indents very planly thru the woods. I was thinking of taking some pictures of it..maybe that could help you out a bit.. did you know of any other small roads branching off of the stagecoach trail?

But the road may not have been from the stagecoach era.

Guy

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
There are many roads and trails that can be seen in this 1930 photo.

http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.814354481098164&lng=-74.70952033996582&z=16&type=nj1930&gpx=

The road that I think we are talking about ends at a farm field in the upper right. I think the road is older than the farm. There is also evidence of loging in this picture and I have found burried characol there. There has been much activity in Tabernacle for a very long time. This probably wasn't a "Stage Road" as we think of Tuckerton Road, but could very well have been used by horse and wagon.

secretwolfeyes

Sep 14, 2009
Right now If you look at it on the google map.. my boyfriends family lives in an old farm house.. a small horse run behind the house.. there is also a old foundation in the 4 acres in front of his house.. the trail runs thru the front and looking at the old topographical map it starts on tuckerton and cuts straight thru land and hits carranza right as it bends before it connects with tuckerton right by the old African cemetary ... where u pinpointed is actually a few minutes down the road from his house..

even if it is a horse and carriage road.. that's pretty breathtaking to know it lasted that long thru history and they'd like to preserve it as best they can.. you can tell the road was almost dug out as the sides of it are now moss covered and the road is lower then the actual ground.

Brown village

Feb 9, 2017
Linwood NJ
After much research, I've discovered that the stage road ran thru Erlton to Marlton then on to Piper's Corner. Here the road split into the NORTH route and the SOUTH route. This confused me for years. The north route followed present day Tuckerton Rd to Hampton Gate, over High Crossing(before it was High Crossing) and on to Washington. The South route started before Piper's Corner where present day Atsion Rd splits from the Tuckerton Rd. There was a tavern on this road at what is now the entrance to Goshen Pond. The stage road then went on to Quaker Bridge, Mount, and met up with the North route in Washington. They both then went on to cross the Wading R. at Bodine's, on to French's/Bass River tavern and from here into Tuckerton. Most of the both routes can still be travelled except where you need to cross the Wading. I've had alot of fun following these old stage roads.

I have a follow up question here, even though this is almost 9 years old :)
So continuing east from Washington, the route followed what Google has labelled as Iron Pipe Rd through Maxwell over 563 and following the "Wading River-Maxwell Rd" to cross the Wading River in the vicinity of today's Bodine campground, which to my reading was roughly the location of the tavern. Did the road then follow today's Rt 679 to the Stage Road which is still labelled as such today?

Oriental

Explorer
Apr 21, 2005
Interesting question. Many old maps show an almost straight route from Bodines to Bass River. I was always a little troubled by the kink just where Stage Road leaves 679 and imagined that at one time the road ran straight but for safety reasons was altered to intersect 679 at a right angle. Just a guess.

Also, where the current road from Harrisville to New Gretna crosses Beaver Run it curves on a more easterly route. At one time a road went straight ahead and ran closer to the river passing through Chips Folly on it was to Bridgeport (now Wading River). From there a road ran directly to Bass River as well.

I would be very interested to know which route is the earlier one. We would probably need to look at the old road returns.

upload_2017-2-10_12-21-17.png

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
http://historicaerials.com?layer=1951&zoom=16&lat=39.6528215668072&lon=-74.52114343643188 via @historicaerials
this is the link to the 1951 historical aerial of the old road between Bodines Field and 679..Once the old roads hits 679 it appears to merge with it down to new Gretna.Then there is the old road that splits off to Wading River at the McKean Leek cemetery.I have driven parts of that road between 679 and the campground.It is quite a deep ditch in places. If there is an older parallel road to 679 by 1931 the earliest aerials it has already disappeared from aerial photography but may be found by searching on the ground.I"m going to check Boyd's LIDAR and see if I see a ditch.