Tuesday with Alfie

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
Alfie is checking out what appears to be a nest in the top of the large tree. We were unable to determine what made it. It was green, fresh, and seemed to be unoccupied.

vernal.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That is a nice photo Bill. Do you use a filter?

Guy

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
Yakmak,

Yeah. That's Herman City. The cemetery photos were taken downstream from Herman City. I'm don't know where Marigold is located. :(

That is a nice photo Bill. Do you use a filter?

Guy

Thanks, Guy. I keep a polarizing filter on the camera almost all the time (night photography being the main exception). It protects my lenses and helps saturate colors.

The photo below represents a small portion of a vernal swamp area Alfie happened on a few weeks back (which we visited again on Tuesday). The beautiful place isn't so easy to access, but I plan on checking it out several times this spring. I'm guessing wildlife magic happens here.

vernal4.jpg

Bill

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Speaking of medders: Guy, when you say "savanna" are you referring to the same sort of landscape?

[Funniest thing, medder isn't in my reference book.]

Glo

Medder is a typical delaware bay slang for saltwater marsh down here.I have applied it to any open wet grassy area and being I am half hillbilly on my moms side I claim the right to moidalize the english language on occasion.
Glo I didn't know you we;re from SC.Just checked your profile.
have you ever been to congaree swamp near columbia? Awesome swamp! I love it.You can keep the far aints though.I have been tore up by them little chits on more then one occasion.Had em in my pants once.Long story but funny now 15 years later.Was in mississippi when that happened.Got lit up in florida when i lived there as a kid.wife got lit up in congaree and now knows why I am am deathly skeered of aint swarms.Ask Guy,he's seen me in action around aints here in jersey.

Also the ACE basin is very beautiful down closer to columbia and the pee dee swamp too.I love cypress swamps,a whole different world from cedar swamps.Both have their own charms.
Alfalfa

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
have you ever been to congaree swamp near columbia? Awesome swamp!
Alfalfa

I drove all the way down to the kangaroo once, brought along my wife and kids, toting recording gear, promised them all sorts of wild sounds. It was early spring. The southeast promptly got a cold snap and I didn't hear a whisper in the entire swamp my entire time there (besides the boys timidly asking, "Dad? Didn't you say there was going to be mad frog singing here?" and Mrs. Whip inquiring about local horse farms). Such is life. The swamp sure was pretty though.

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
Al, Would that mean you are fluent in Hilbilly, Piney and Cricker? You could be a translator at the backwoods U.N.

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
Medder is a typical delaware bay slang for saltwater marsh down here.I have applied it to any open wet grassy area and being I am half hillbilly on my moms side I claim the right to moidalize the english language on occasion.
Glo I didn't know you we;re from SC. . . .have you ever been to congaree swamp near columbia? Awesome swamp! I love it.You can keep the far aints though.I have been tore up by them little chits on more then one occasion.e and now knows why I am am deathly skeered of aint swarms.

Also the ACE basin is very beautiful down closer to columbia and the pee dee swamp too.I love cypress swamps,a whole different world from cedar swamps.Both have their own charms.

Thanks for the info, Alwhoeveryouareatthemoment.
Your moidalize-ing is just fine.

I'm not really a southerner, unless you're counting southern British Columbia. They're still fighting the "War of Northern Aggression" down here.

I didn't know about the swamps being beautiful, though. If I get down to the coast I'll have to check out the cypress swamps. Maybe not until winter because of the "far aints" -- I too am "deathly skeered of aint swarms." Horrible little critters. Give me a cedar swamp any day!

Glo

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Al, Would that mean you are fluent in Hilbilly, Piney and Cricker? You could be a translator at the backwoods U.N.

Yes Oji,maws a hillbilly from wet virginny (as opposed to dry virginny which is east of there) and paws a hoosier from southern indiana and i was raised in a south jersey village in the big medders of delaware may called dividing creek (split ditch).Born piney with mountains in my mind.
Alfalfa

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Thanks for the info, Alwhoeveryouareatthemoment.
Your moidalize-ing is just fine.

I'm not really a southerner, unless you're counting southern British Columbia. They're still fighting the "War of Northern Aggression" down here.

I didn't know about the swamps being beautiful, though. If I get down to the coast I'll have to check out the cypress swamps. Maybe not until winter because of the "far aints" -- I too am "deathly skeered of aint swarms." Horrible little critters. Give me a cedar swamp any day!

Glo

a canadian! have you ever been to the bob marshall wilderness complex just south of glacier park montana?Thats my dream trip there,I also wouldn't mind getting up to jasper and banff parks either.I like grizz and so's my wife.She;s bear nuts. took her to UP the last two years and let her play with black bear cubs at a bear ranch.got picks of us feedin em.She was in heaven,she loves bears as much as i love snakes.
Crocodile Alfie