Tuesday with Alfie

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Ya know ... we were cruising along River Road after meandering around Johnson Cemetery and I saw the house and did an instant-brake double-take. "Alfie!" I simply threw the truck in park and snapped the photo from the road. But I think it's the first house that's ever made me stop in my tracks.

Chuck, I'd love to see one of your old photos of the place in its heyday.

I kept telling Al yesterday that I wanted to come back. Seems every time we pick a day to wander the pines of late, the weather has failed to cooperate. I want to go back to those islands and meadows along the Wading, back to those beautiful little graveyards, and walk again on the banks of the lower Mullica (the roots and trees laying there are begging for photographic attention -- shame the one I posted is marred by a wet lens) -- all with a little sunshine to make it work better. Is that too much to ask? :) I'm not scheduling next Tuesday as a vacation day until AccuWeather promises just that.

Whip

There was a time we were men.Routinely doing stream crossings in mid winter in our skivvies.We would've laughed in accu weathers face.Now we are reduced to begging for fair weather.Old bones and arthritis have taken the salt out of us whip.We need to do something really wild and stupid to prove we are still barrens tough.How about a swim across oswego lake next tuesday?Oh thats right you can't swim.You can have a life jacket and i will tow ya!Hows that sound!
Alfie

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
We need to do something really wild and stupid to prove we are still barrens tough.How about a swim across oswego lake next tuesday?Oh thats right you can't swim.You can have a life jacket and i will tow ya!Hows that sound!
Alfie

Ha! This brings to mind our rather recent Oswego River trip when I attempted to paddle your non-keeled white-water kayak across Oswego Lake during a heavy wind (resulting in a floating merry-go-round effect); you (mercifully) had to tow me across then, too. If the lake's not frozen Tuesday, your swimming with me in life-jacketed tow sounds like a plan to me. Would you mind holding my Canon out of the water at the same time, please? Thank you.

Whip

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Ha! This brings to mind our rather recent Oswego River trip when I attempted to paddle your non-keeled white-water kayak across Oswego Lake during a heavy wind (resulting in a floating merry-go-round effect); you (mercifully) had to tow me across then, too. If the lake's not frozen Tuesday, your swimming with me in life-jacketed tow sounds like a plan to me. Would you mind holding my Canon out of the water at the same time, please? Thank you.

Whip

that oswego kayak misadventure is what mad think of such an exploit.I thought you were going to have to learn to swim that day:)
I remember during those winter creek crossings that certain things just disappear.I'm now over 40 and I fear they may not come back if we do this type of thing again.You come out of the creek and it feels like your walking on stilts because literally your legs from hips down are numb.I was too poor for hip or chest waders back then.Besides we were men and didn't need them.I wonder how ice water would feel on my arthritic left foot now?
Old Man Alfie

Aaron

Explorer
Jul 29, 2007
I like this picture Bill

zze.jpg

My Great Great Grandmother (Adam's) was born and lived in this house. My Aunt has pictures of from years ago.

Is that on private property? If so i wonder who owns it, its an amazing looking house

lowerbankman

Scout
Nov 12, 2008
Lower Bank, NJ
being a resident of lowerbank I heard it through the grapevine that the people who bought the property wanted to tear it down and build a few houses on the property, unfortunately for them the house is grandfathered in so they wanted to burn it down (rumors and speculation) I've been in the house its a wreck on the inside, I guess that the people who bought it will have to deal with having a rundown victorian style house that (sadly) will probably just collapse in.

lgench

Explorer
Jan 19, 2005
Bristol, PA
A very interesting late, shingle trimmed, Victorian house due to the angled entrance. A pity that it probably has no future; what a place it must have been.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown

If there were justice in the world, this particular imagery would be shared by so many publications as to capture the eye of millions.
This ain't just some blended crap that turns up on a dimestore calender. Damn Bill. You inspire.
Thank you for this.

g.

lgench

Explorer
Jan 19, 2005
Bristol, PA
Jerseyman,
Correct! Thanx. When posting, I was a little doubtful. I love the shingled parts of those houses and thankfully, that style is popular again! At least, they look like a "home" instead of some architect's "experiment. e.g: Many on LBI!

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
Thank you for this.

g.

Thank you, g. There's power in that photo-blend , but I think this has a lot more to do with "place" than with anything I did. I'll go back someday and see what some blue sky and sunlight adds to the setting.

A final Tuesday (for a while) trip is on for tomorrow. Forecast: heavy clouds. So be it; we'll make the most...

Bill

Untitled-Stitched-11.jpg

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
Haven't had a chance to sit down and look at all them, Alfie. Freddy needed the computer to do a project last night. Figured I'd look at a few and post them while it was timely. I'll try to get some others up this weekend.

Whip