Turtle Sex?

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Right in the middle of my yard this morning. Is that really what's happening here? :)

turtles2.jpg

turttles1.jpg

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Took that picture about 8:30, he was climbing down around 10:00 and they went their separate ways. Not sure how long they were at before I took the picture. That's quite a game of hopscotch. ;)

I guess today is Turtle Day. This little fella was right next to my car around 10:00.

turtle.jpg

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Well that's why I asked. I didn't think they "mounted" each other but that they fertilized the eggs after they were laid... or something? If not sex, then what is going on there? Territorial fighting?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It was turtle sex. The male has an indented shell on the bottom so that he fits right in the proper place.

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
I always thought that mating occurs with the bottoms of the turtles facing one another and the heads facing the opposite direction?

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
It was attempted turtle sex.The female appeared to be unwilling.She should be standing up or I feel his advances are bound to failure.She probably wasn't ready yet and yes they do have sex to fertilize the eggs.They are not frog which simply perform amplexus which is not sex as we know it.