U-pull Junkyard in the Pines (Near Tabernacle?)

Badfish740

Explorer
Feb 19, 2005
Copperhead Road
When I was a kid (about 13 or 14, so around 10 years ago) I went with a group of older guys I used to hang around with to a junkyard down in the pines because somebody needed some parts for a truck. It was a hell of a place with everything from old 1930s-40s Mercurys, Hudsons, Chevys, etc...to a lot of military/forest service stuff. I remember seeing a lot of GMC 6x6s that were probably used by the military at one time, but had been sold off and then seen civillian duty. Also a lot of older Dodge and Jeep (pickup) "Brushbuster" type trucks were in there too. Anyway, I've lost touch with most of those guys and the one or two that I still see don't remember where the place is. Does it sound familiar to anyone? I'd love to find it again if it's still around just to walk around and get ideas for future 4x4 projects. I'd really love to get my hands on a PTO winch which I'm sure there are plenty of there. Of course the place might be gone by now, a lot of the older yards are being bought out by larger salvage operations trying to cash in on the high price of steel these days... I'm pretty sure it was somewhere near Tabernacle but I don't really remember what roads it might be near, but I figure anyone who lives in the area would probably know of it since it's so huge and from the looks of it has been there an awful long time.

Thanks,

Matthew

Badfish740

Explorer
Feb 19, 2005
Copperhead Road
Thanks a lot...I've always heard the Superpages advertised but never had the brains to use them...lol That looks like the place though, I remember New Road now. The only thing left to do is convince the girlfriend to go on a little road trip.

Thanks,

Matthew

stizkidz

Piney
May 10, 2003
Tuckerton
Friendship Junkyard is the place you speak of. One of the best darn yards I've been to. I know how to get there but couldn't give you directions (I know it sounds strange). Hope you find it...

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Guy
Meyers' Auto is on Chew Road in Waterford.
They got started in the early 70's and don't have a lot of real old stuff.
Not a great parts yard. They don't like to part with things and when they do it is for top dollar.
They are more interested in scrapping everything up in Camden but you would never know it by lookin at how their yard keeps growing.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I loved that junkyard. I was rebuilding my Dodge Challenger and used to go there looking for parts. I always ended up forgetting what I was looking for. The old cars were really neat, you could sit inside them and go back in time. There were also mementos from the old days in them, scraps of magazines, old cigarette packs, etc. It was one of the few junkyards I would have paid a couple dollars just to get in.

To get there go up route 70 past Hampton Lakes if I remember correctly and take the first paved road after that to the left to friendship. It was right on a curve on the left, but I think they cleaned it all up.

I think I found it. See this snaky thing in the center of the picture?

http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?T=1&S=11&Z=18&X=1313&Y=11031&W=2

Badfish740

Explorer
Feb 19, 2005
Copperhead Road
Friendship is definitely the place-Bruset found it for me on the Superpages. I should have mentioned that in my other post. It'll be the perfect starting point for building an exploration buggy. With all the stuff they have in there I could build myself some beastly sort of iron version of the Jersey Devil...hehehehe

Later,

Matthew

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I was just at the Friendship junkyard a few weeks back getting a wiper arm (found the right one). If your interested in out of the way junkyards you have to check out Busters in Browns mills. It is near ridge rd. on the northern end of Mirror Lake. Very close to Hanover Furnance. That area in there is like a time warp. The constant bombing at Fort Dix has kept the real estate at bay in that area and the place is filled with delapidated shacks. Busters has a lot of old junk. They even have a pile of dirt bikes from the 70's and 80's in there. It is worth the trip, but their hours seem to have no consistancy, so you never can be sure when they're open.

Jeff

wolfspider05

Explorer
Nov 12, 2004
Riverside Nj
Is there just like older cars at Friendship on new rd., or is there like say mid 90's cars? I am looking for a few parts for my 95 honda accord. Anyways, tonight I took a drive down Quaker Bridge rd. and noticed that there is now a sign as soon as you cross the bridge. Its pretty cool cause it has Ong's Hat on it with an arrow and says how many miles away it is. It has a few other towns on the sign also with arrows and how many miles away it is. Has anybody seen the sign yet? Its not a major attraction, just something new.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
wolfspider05 said:
Is there just like older cars at Friendship on new rd., or is there like say mid 90's cars? I am looking for a few parts for my 95 honda accord. Anyways, tonight I took a drive down Quaker Bridge rd. and noticed that there is now a sign as soon as you cross the bridge. Its pretty cool cause it has Ong's Hat on it with an arrow and says how many miles away it is. It has a few other towns on the sign also with arrows and how many miles away it is. Has anybody seen the sign yet? Its not a major attraction, just something new.

Does it look official or something someone made?

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
BEHR655 said:
I saw it the last time I was through there. What's next? A McDonalds?????

Burger 3 Miles ->
<- McChicken 5 Miles
Ronald McDonalds House 5 Miles->

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Wolfspider, Friendship junkyard has newer cars. I found a wiper arm for a '97 saturn. It is a pretty big yard.

Speaking of signs, about three or four weeks ago I was on that road that runs from carranza road above friendship and cuts though just south of the featherbed branch crossing and runs to the road from Eagle and then up to the pine crest tracks. Shortly before that road meets carranza, there is a dip in the road that is often flooded (though always passable). There was a sign there that said (someones' name) crossing. I can't remember the name. The sign included a birth and death date so I assume it is a sort of memorial put there by a friend or family member.

Jeff

wolfspider05

Explorer
Nov 12, 2004
Riverside Nj
woodjin said:
Wolfspider, Friendship junkyard has newer cars. I found a wiper arm for a '97 saturn. It is a pretty big yard.

Speaking of signs, about three or four weeks ago I was on that road that runs from carranza road above friendship and cuts though just south of the featherbed branch crossing and runs to the road from Eagle and then up to the pine crest tracks. Shortly before that road meets carranza, there is a dip in the road that is often flooded (though always passable). There was a sign there that said (someones' name) crossing. I can't remember the name. The sign included a birth and death date so I assume it is a sort of memorial put there by a friend or family member.

Jeff

Thanks, I will def go check them out. Ebay dosen't seem to always have what I am looking for. Thanks again.