Upcoming Outage: Site Maintenance

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Hey everyone:

My hosting company is asking me to migrate the site to a new server. They're in the process of spinning up a new machine for me. Once that is done I'm going to begin the somewhat arduous process of moving all of the data and databases over to the new machine. I am not 100% sure but there might be an IP address change, which would mean that the site potentially would not be reachable for a few hours.

I'm not sure when this is going to happen, but it will be happening soon. So if you try to connect to the site and don't see that it's up, it's likely because I'm working on it. (And not that I haven't been paying the bills!)

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I've started the migration of the data from the old to the new server. During this time I've closed the image gallery so that no files can be uploaded while the synchronization runs. Before I migrate the database I'll have to shut the forums down so that no posts get lost.

Hopefully the downtime won't last too long.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Hey Ben, I tried to upload a couple of pics this evening and wasn't able to log in to the gallery. I logged in to the main boards fine, but when I clicked over to the gallery it showed me as logged out, and attempts to log in with my creds from the main site resulted in "invalid login." Any ideas?

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
Hey Ben, I tried to upload a couple of pics this evening and wasn't able to log in to the gallery. I logged in to the main boards fine, but when I clicked over to the gallery it showed me as logged out, and attempts to log in with my creds from the main site resulted in "invalid login." Any ideas?
Mark I tried this morning and it worked but, I had to log in on the gallery page and it told me to delete a cookie I clicked ok and I log on with no other issues and uploaded a photo and then click onto the forum with no issues. I belive you have to login to the Gallery side first

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Mark I tried this morning and it worked but, I had to log in on the gallery page and it told me to delete a cookie I clicked ok and I log on with no other issues and uploaded a photo and then click onto the forum with no issues. I belive you have to login to the Gallery side first

Thanks, gave it a try, including deleting the cookies. Still didn't work with my forum creds.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
The cookies aren't shared between the forums the the gallery anymore. You'll need to sign in separately.

I really suggest people not use the Gallery here anymore. The software is ancient, I don't pay for support on it anymore, and there's much better alternatives (like Flickr) out there. Or just attach your images to posts.

There will be a day when the image gallery here goes away.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Really, I like using attachments these days. It's a lot easier than uploading them somewhere else and then linking. And as we've discussed in another thread, the threshold where the software re-scales them is higher (something like 600 pixels for linked images but 800 for an attachment).