Vandalized Trestle

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I was at the Batsto River Trestle this morning. There is one board missing but other than that there has been no vandals hanging out there :)

Guy

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
The downed trees at Caranza were done for several reasons. They were not done by state workers as the state does not own the tracks. The right-a-way is owned by the railroad company. The trees were chopped down to keep ATV's off of them.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The downed trees at Caranza were done for several reasons. They were not done by state workers as the state does not own the tracks. The right-a-way is owned by the railroad company. The trees were chopped down to keep ATV's off of them.

I was also there today walking the tracks. I am slowly narrowing down some things I want to find and learning property lines around there. Some of that area is not owned by the Parker Preserve, or the State,..... or the gun club.

IMG_0980.JPG

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Were you parked at the entrance to the PP on 563 just north of the firehouse? This is the road that goes back to where we discussed the old garage. This vehicle had the road blocked.

If that was not you I did not see you. I did run into a 25 vehicle convoy of 4x4's right along the tracks where the tree's are down. I was looking for clues and they must have felt I was crazy. One stopped and asked if I needed help :)

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Have you ever had any problems with that man on the last house closest to the tracks on Apple Jack Road?

Guy

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Guy, can't say I've had a problem with anyone out there....but I have a big NJCF magnet on my car, and a hat. There is a public access point there also. Have you had a problem?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have not been down there in a while to know there was a public access point there. That man came out and confronted someone I know about 2 years ago and was concerned people would be using that as an access. I guess his nightmare has come true.

BTW, if you have not viewed it yet one of the property corners is located right there before the tracks.

http://tinyurl.com/bqlvpa

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It was. Since I was near this one I decide to check it out to see if they had done the same.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I was at that bridge on 12/28 and it was not cut then. BTW, that is Bridge 77.

IMG_0039.JPG

Guy

Oct 25, 2006
I was also there today walking the tracks. I am slowly narrowing down some things I want to find and learning property lines around there. Some of that area is not owned by the Parker Preserve, or the State,..... or the gun club.

IMG_0980.JPG

Guy

Any other Monuments found that day ?

Jim

Kevinhooa

Explorer
Mar 12, 2008
Hammonton, NJ.
www.flickr.com
Went there today and it was definitely a battery operated skill-saw. There was still sawdust on the railroad ties. And someone did it right where the tie is missing underneath so they wanted someone to get hurt. I looked around and didn't see the cut off parts so they must have been thrown in the creek. Someone also did some serious hacking with a hatchet recently all the way to the Batsto Trestle, that's where I stopped anyway. But this looked like clearing instead of blocking. Next to the Batsto trestle it looked like someone threw the ramp that led up the tracks for the dirt bikes into the woods at the bottom of the trestle. It's a small piece of plywood with treads on it. That place is getting some action.

Kevin

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I saw that in the water but did not know it was a ramp. Where was that ramp originally at?

Guy

contactryanwalsh

Dec 16, 2008
I was out near Parkdale trestle on Sunday. It is really a mess, but I also may think that someone has been taking pieces of wood from the bridges and using them to repair some smaller creek crossings further back in the woods. It looked like some of these smaller "palettes" may have been burned recently, and some of the planks look freshly nailed. Perhaps someone is making use of the trestle wood to refurbish other smaller bridges further back in the woods. Just a guess, though.

Also, I was parked across from the house on Applejack three weeks ago for about two hours, and neither did I see now hear anyone at the house, although someone who had been geocaching earlier in the day had said that they saw the man looking at them the whole time the hiked back into the offroad portion of Appplejack.