Vandalized Trestle

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Also, I was parked across from the house on Applejack three weeks ago for about two hours, and neither did I see now hear anyone at the house, although someone who had been geocaching earlier in the day had said that they saw the man looking at them the whole time the hiked back into the offroad portion of Appplejack.

He is not happy I am sure about people going in that way. I guess he thought he had the perfect location to get away from people, but he now knows he doesn't.

Guy

Kevinhooa

Explorer
Mar 12, 2008
Hammonton, NJ.
www.flickr.com
Kevin,

Are there downed trees all the way to batsto? Or are they totally removed from the tracks and off to the sides?

Dragoncjo - some trees were thrown into the woods on the side, and others were just laying on the ground. And the ramp was leaning up against the side of the tracks so they could get over the rails. There's another pallet about 50 yards north of the Batsto trestle that is also wedged into the tracks to let the cycles get over and onto the bridge. And I would think that putting the boards on the trestle is really no big deal, private property or not. The Batsto and Atsion trestle were replaced by Conrail only a couple of years before the line was abandoned (the supports were replaced with more heavy duty square supports instead of the telephone pole ones). Although the Batsto might be the only one that could still support a train (and would probably still be replaced as a safety measure) as the Atsion one is rotted in some spots. If anyone is going to use this line in the future, the trestles will probably all be replaced like the one at Hospitality Branch and Main Lake Branch or heavily reinforced with steel like the one at the Great Egg Harbor River. I just think they should be appreciated and enjoyed while they are still here. You don't see too many wooden trestles anymore and although they don't compare to the ones in more mountainous regions, they are still quite special and unique.

Kevin

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Guy I will look into that....I certainly can respect a person desire for solitude out there. If he is unhappy with people enter down there I will park further up. I'll have to ask some people about that house.

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
Private property or not, its not marked. if someone got hurt there they could sue. hiker or biker. wow i really need to get a cam for this kind of crap. If i could get a pic i would post it up on every offroad forum on the east coast just so i know this guys day would be ruined.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Well for ATV's its not a marked road either so they shouldn't be there. Gotta love America if you trespass and break the law you can still sue......accountability anyone???

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Correct, to my knowledge it is PP and all would be trespassing. I do it all the time on those tracks, but I'm not going to sue if I get hurt or injured.....its my fault.

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
me neither, thats one thing i have learned over time with my sport, never, EVER sue. the only thing i was pointing out that its just as illegal for a street legal dirt bike or even a jeep as it is to hike down it. none really cares and works together USUALLY< lets keep it that way.

Kevinhooa

Explorer
Mar 12, 2008
Hammonton, NJ.
www.flickr.com
It got worse

Whoever it is destroying the walkway on the trestle apparently doesn't feel like stopping any time soon. I took a ride down the tracks on Sunday and the same bridge that had the chunk taken out of it, (Springers Brook?) is ripped up again. This time the middle fixed piece is gone, and almost the whole end of the trestle where the huge gap is between the ties is also torn up. And all the nail ridden boards are in the stream. It must have been recent because all the ripped off boards were still floating pretty high in the water when I got there. Batsto trestle was also vandalized a little this time as well with one board ripped off, another torn up and the very end of one plank was smashed. I think whoever it was, was scarred off by the control burn that was done over the weekend because the Batsto bridge could have been a lot worse. It seems like this might not stop until someone gets caught.

Kevin

grendel

Explorer
Feb 24, 2006
Fredericksburg VA
Well I met the vandal about 9 ish this morning. She is about 55 and feels that the planks were laid down illegally by "dirt bike riders" who are destroying the pines. I walked up on her at the Batsto trestle this morning as she was sawing through a plank. She did not feel she was breaking the law and did not see how her actions would harm anyone. I followed her tracks back to her truck and got a pic of the vehicle and the license plate. So what do you all think, should I drop the dime?
Keith

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
Well I met the vandal about 9 ish this morning. She is about 55 and feels that the planks were laid down illegally by "dirt bike riders" who are destroying the pines. I walked up on her at the Batsto trestle this morning as she was sawing through a plank. She did not feel she was breaking the law and did not see how her actions would harm anyone. I followed her tracks back to her truck and got a pic of the vehicle and the license plate. So what do you all think, should I drop the dime?
Keith

No doubt for me, I'd turn her in. Sooner or later her actions will hurt someone.

grendel

Explorer
Feb 24, 2006
Fredericksburg VA
Wow Keith, sounds like a lucky morning... Catching the woman red handed sawing the bridge, and some (unexpected) Pinelands snow! Nice job!

Weird trip all around Mike, I headed back in Thursday afternoon to an old spot I have not been to in years. Someone had built a shack and an underground fort complete with fireplace. Right in the middle of Wharton, place really gave me the creeps for some reason, the construction all looked recent and judging from the tracks (which were several days to a week old) it was either teenagers or other small people, the tracks were all under size10. I could not shake the feeling that I was being watched. Made me feel lonely for my shotgun. I will not be able to post the pics until sunday, the ones of the underground fort should look pretty cool.

Chrisr

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
Cinnaminson, NJ
Keith

Absolutley drop the dime!! I know if I had been in your situation, I would have called as soon as I got the pics of her truck.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Keith

Please give the information to the Park Police.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Did she have a dog? Jessica and I may have saw her. I have a very long distance photo of her. Very long distance.

Maybe she will stop after you talking to her. Should you rat her out now or see if she does more?

Guy

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
This is the type of person who may set traps, as if she didn't already. I am out that way many times a week walking my dogs and use the bridge and fire breaks, so do horses. A few years ago someone in my area was annoyed with ATV's so they put out boards with spikes in them on the trails. Dogs and horses didn't think it was fun. This person should be stopped, by the police.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
She woulda had 4 flats. :clint:

Do more than call, file a report and include the pictures, then they are obligated to look into it.