Vandalized Trestle

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I will go back tomorrow to put perspective on it.
If you came to the bridge and expected a road you wouldn't even see the hole, on mountain bike, dirt bike or a pleasant walk down the tracks which I used to be able to do..

When you go, you might want to put some surveyor tape up on both ends of the trestle to warn those unaware of the damage.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
All, I highly highly doubt the state put the boards there, dirt bikers put those up. The state is not going to put up boards for hikers on land they do not own. Unless I'm dead wrong they don't own the tracks(I wish they did that way they couldn't open the tracks back up). I wouldn't think this is the work of the same person. I've noticed in my travels that many hikers, birders, dog walkers, etc. are getting phenomenally annoyed with ATV traffic destroying the pines barrens particulary wharton, there are many things going on out there to deter ATV's on the tracks by many people. I think the tactic of removing the boards is not right due to serious injury.....someone should drop some saplings so people stop before going across the bridge. I just hope you guys pursue action as fervently when you see a ATV ripping up a bog.

grendel

Explorer
Feb 24, 2006
Fredericksburg VA
All, I highly highly doubt the state put the boards there, dirt bikers put those up. The state is not going to put up boards for hikers on land they do not own. Unless I'm dead wrong they don't own the tracks(I wish they did that way they couldn't open the tracks back up). I wouldn't think this is the work of the same person. I've noticed in my travels that many hikers, birders, dog walkers, etc. are getting phenomenally annoyed with ATV traffic destroying the pines barrens particulary wharton, there are many things going on out there to deter ATV's on the tracks by many people. I think the tactic of removing the boards is not right due to serious injury.....someone should drop some saplings so people stop before going across the bridge. I just hope you guys pursue action as fervently when you see a ATV ripping up a bog.

If I had my way there would be no orv's in Wharton, personally I would like to see a lot of the roads closed to all vehicle traffic. Not all of the roads but 500 miles of dirt road on 110,000 acres is way too much in my opinion. If dirt bikers put those planks on the trestles then they spent a hell of a lot of money for such little use. It seems to me the planks went down about the same time the white trail markers went up. I thought that the state had done both.
I never had a problem using the bridges without the planks, either for hiking or, back in the day, for riding. When I was a kid we rode in the pines all the time. I have ridden bikes,trikes ,quads,and trucks over those bridges. never slowed us down.
Nowadays I would be the first too call the cops on someone ripping up a bog, even when I used to ride I still loved the forest.
I would be amazed if bikers put those planks down. Spend that kind of money? Why? It makes no sense at all.
I am surprised to learn that the tracks are private property. why would the state mark a trail on private property? It was my understanding that that line was purchased under the "rails to trails" program in the 70's.
As far as the tracks ever being used again, that line would have to be completely rebuilt from the bed up. All the tracks, all the trestles would have to be removed and replaced. It is all obsolete.

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
theyre not even there for ATV use, its enduro (LEGAL dirtbikes). ATVs wouldnt fit in between the tracks anyways. I believe if you want to stop something that is LEGAl, you have to take matters in your hands and approach the state, however you will not stop enduros without stopping all vehicle traffic, better yet if we want the pines perserved to that point lets just ban all entry!!!!! do i actually mean that???? no. but be careful what you wish for cause it may come true. sometimes you gotta suck it up and take the bad with the good.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Grendel, maybe I'm totally been given misinformation....though I do trust the source as he works with land conservation. As for that section maybe the state owns it....but I've been told the portion from Caranza up through the parker preserve is own by the railroad company still. Also to clear up my statement when I say ATV's I meant two wheeled dirtbikes. I know I saw a group of guys riding two wheelers putting up the planks on the tracks up by lakehurst.....

Also another question to Dave, are eduro's legally allowed to ride on the right-a-way....I thought enduros could only legally ride on roads, dirt roads, marked roads.....not RR tracks....whats your take?

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
If I had my way there would be no orv's in Wharton, personally I would like to see a lot of the roads closed to all vehicle traffic.
I sure don't want to close access to vehicles in the pines. Most of the people that I see and know that drive in the pines (either on 2 wheels or 4) are responsible and should not be punished for the actions of a few ignorant riders (just like gun control). I agree that something has to be done, just like the litter problem, but closing access hurts us all. I used to go to Cape Hatteras for over 20 years and fish every spring and fall and you could drive on the beaches for miles. Now, due to increased regulations, much of the beach is closed to vehicles for weeks at a time which has seriously hurt their economy. As Mudboy says, be careful what you wish for because if you loose it, it will be very tough to get it back. And without the responsible folks permitted out there who clean up and keep an eye on things (Trestle damage), the irresponsible will continue to have their way.

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
Grendel, maybe I'm totally been given misinformation....though I do trust the source as he works with land conservation. As for that section maybe the state owns it....but I've been told the portion from Caranza up through the parker preserve is own by the railroad company still. Also to clear up my statement when I say ATV's I meant two wheeled dirtbikes. I know I saw a group of guys riding two wheelers putting up the planks on the tracks up by lakehurst.....

Also another question to Dave, are eduro's legally allowed to ride on the right-a-way....I thought enduros could only legally ride on roads, dirt roads, marked roads.....not RR tracks....whats your take?

ok, when you said ATVs I thought you meant 4 wheelers. For future reference ATVs are widely known as 4 wheelers. I know 100% that they are legally allowed down what you mentioned, as far as the RR tracks go, I'm not sure.
As far as the statement goes that I'm about to say, this is not directed to anyone specifically but from an outsiders view this is what it looks like.
I enjoy the pines from many different perspectives, from hiking, to geocaching, to looking at historical sites, to the railroads, to the wildlife, to exploring in areas a stock 4x4 would never be able to make it threw. but viewing peoples thoughts on here and in different organizations, the only way everyone could get what they want and not have any damage to what they love, would be to stop all access. People complain about the horses, people complain about the hikers, people complain about geocaching, people complain about enduros, people complain about atvs, people complain about trucks, people complain about hunters. Think about it really deeply. How do you make everyone happy???? Is the answer to shut of all access? Is the answer to go further and shut off all access and remove every man made material out and let it go back to its wild self before the earths fleas also known as mankind ever existed? or is is it to minimize the damage done by other parties who enjoy the pines as much as yourself? Everyone crying and complaining is just going to eventually come back and bite ya in your ass.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Batsto trestle repair

I took these pictures of the repair of the east end of the Batsto trestle at 10 AM this morning. I was supprised to find this and also pleased.
P1050045small.jpg

Looking west.
P1050043small.jpg

Looking east.
P1050046small.jpg

Looking east again.
P1050050small.jpg

Ed

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
you tax dollars at work

Actually I was impressed that the park cares about the people that use it. I often see park personel working on trails and signs and the out houses were thoughful, really. Even so they had to put 8x8 in front of the one at Carranza because someone ran into it. I thank them!

Ed

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Tax dollars to good use. Grendel should be commended for bringing this all to light, until it backfires and every access to everything is banned.
Then Grendel should be exiled from the Pines forever.
A joke my friend.

As far as the parks doing these repairs, I assume once their hand is in it, there will be hell to pay for the person that messes with their work right?

g.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
, personally I would like to see a lot of the roads closed to all vehicle traffic.

You completely lost me on that line. One road closed is one too many. Sorry, but we own most of those woods and I want to use the roads.

Guy

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Congratulations Grendel on a job well done.
I am amazed at the quick response.
Could our very own "Turtle" have had something to do with this response time????
Hmmmmmm.
Scott

Kevinhooa

Explorer
Mar 12, 2008
Hammonton, NJ.
www.flickr.com
Trestles

Glad to see things are back together. As far as the plankage use, I figured it was for the horses. Enduro's can get over the bridge with the planks, but without help over the tracks, it's a real pain in the ass. I have a very heavy bike, so it didn't really work to well for me, but I figured it was for people, or critters that have a hard time with foot placement on those bridges. Dirtbikes can adapt if the tie spacing is weird by putting the scrap ties in the holes, and even riding over the Mullica Trestle is not bad. It just sucks to see someone act as the avenger of the pines by taking things into their own hands and physically destroying things that people have built. And like what has been said, just cutting down some trees will keep people off the trestle if need be like the Franklin/Parker Pereserve (although that's kind of extreme).

Kevin

grendel

Explorer
Feb 24, 2006
Fredericksburg VA
You completely lost me on that line. One road closed is one too many. Sorry, but we own most of those woods and I want to use the roads.

Guy

Wharton alone is 110,000 acres. How about just 10,000 acres in the heart of wharton that has no vehicle access. Have you ever seen a state or national park anywhere which is so crisscrossed with roads? With more roads and trails being blazed every year. An ecological treasure like the pine barrens and hardly a single part of it more than a quarter mile from a road. Maybe even just 5000 acres?

grendel

Explorer
Feb 24, 2006
Fredericksburg VA
Actually I was impressed that the park cares about the people that use it. I often see park personel working on trails and signs and the out houses were thoughful, really. Even so they had to put 8x8 in front of the one at Carranza because someone ran into it. I thank them!

Ed

I meant no sarcasm, for all my NJ government bashing, I have to admit I am impressed. looks like they did a great job. Makes me wonder who may be looking at this site...

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
Scott, can't say I've been around for this one. Busy in my own "neck of the woods" for a few weeks. It appears that congrats are due to Grendel & Co. for diligence and professionalism :clint: and to his advisory staff :dance::dance::dance: and also the parties who made it happen in the field. Good job!

turtle

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
For sure there are some unsung heroes that we all may need to thank one day.

Guy