Vandalized Trestle

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
As I said before I don't think the park police were very interested so any advice from members here on how to proceed would be welcome. If anyone has a connection in law enforcement let me know.

In what Township is the trestle located ?
Waterford and Winslow have their own PD's whereas Shamong, Tabernacle, Woodland, Bass River and Washington all have State Police coverage.

grendel

Explorer
Feb 24, 2006
Fredericksburg VA
In what Township is the trestle located ?
Waterford and Winslow have their own PD's whereas Shamong, Tabernacle, Woodland, Bass River and Washington all have State Police coverage.

It was the trestle over the Batsto, I think it is Washington, I got a ticket near there years ago and that is where I had to go to court.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
If the location is within Wharton, report it to Super Rob Auermueller at Batsto, he'll take it serious. Let him know the reaction you received from the park police.

BlueMoonMuskrat

Explorer
Sep 12, 2008
i'm very happy to hear that you spotted this person. i agree that you should NOT post any photos of her or her vehicle, and it seems like you are taking the best actions to resolve this problem.

it's comforting to know that there are a lot of good people out there helping to protect these pines.

Thanks

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Grendel,

You have handled this well so have no concerns about that.

Guy

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
It was the trestle over the Batsto, I think it is Washington, I got a ticket near there years ago and that is where I had to go to court.

That is at least Shamong on one side of the trestle and maybe Tabernacle or Washington as you cross the trestle.
In any event, the State Police will have little interest in handling a complaint deep in Wharton unless you get no help from the NJ Parks and Forestry police force.
46'er has a good suggestion with contacting a superior at Batsto.

Carmel Capoferri is a higher up in the park police and she attends the Pine Barrens cleanup in the fall.
She was kickass down here in Pestletown on busting quads back in the day.
Here is her bio.

http://www.nj.gov/dep/njstateparkpolice/career-women.htm

She can be contacted through the Batsto office.
http://www.nj.gov/dep/njstateparkpolice/contact_us.htm

You did a good deed sir.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have also met Carmel Capoferri and she has helped me in the past.

Guy

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
I'm very pleased to hear that she has been caught. Hopefully the authorities do take this seriously and throw the book at her. I hope she burns for this one. if it continues on after this I'll be looking myself.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
I took these at 9:00 AM this morning at the Batsto tressle.

Batsto11.jpg

Deliberately over a rotten tie.

Batsto21.jpg

Kevinhooa

Explorer
Mar 12, 2008
Hammonton, NJ.
www.flickr.com
trestle

I'd say throw some square drive screws in the planks with some wire hidden underneath. Can't just pull the planks up then, and if someone tries to cut the boards, they'll wreck the teeth of they're saw in the process. Glad to hear the trestle's lumber pirate is getting taken care of.

Kevin

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
I took these at 9:00 AM this morning at the Batsto tressle.
Deliberately over a rotten tie.

That is seriously screwed. Even a smaller, older person or a younger child could get pretty fetched up and cut up in that just trying to cross on a walk.
There's anger in that person to be so wicked.
Definately right up there with wire on trails at neck height and carefully hidden sharp spikes. Sick.

g.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
that is the trestle at deep run I think

Nope, it's over the Batsto.
I didn't even look at the lesser trestle's. I will go back tomorrow to put perspective on it.
If you came to the bridge and expected a road you wouldn't even see the hole, on mountain bike, dirt bike or a pleasant walk down the tracks which I used to be able to do..

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It is hard to believe that an innocent post by BlueMoonMuskrat would come to this.

Be careful Ed.

Guy

grendel

Explorer
Feb 24, 2006
Fredericksburg VA
Nope, it's over the Batsto.
I didn't even look at the lesser trestle's. I will go back tomorrow to put perspective on it.
If you came to the bridge and expected a road you wouldn't even see the hole, on mountain bike, dirt bike or a pleasant walk down the tracks which I used to be able to do..

I think more work has been done since Friday..

grendel

Explorer
Feb 24, 2006
Fredericksburg VA
Did she know about this site (NJPineBarrens)when you mentioned it? What was actually said?

Guy

When I approached her I basically said "what do you think you are doing". She had a dog that was now standing at my feet growling so I was sort of distracted, trying to keep one eye on her and making sure that her dog was cool. She started saying how the boards were placed illegally by the evil bikers. I said I believed that they were placed by the state. After some exchange she asked where I had heard that the state had done it. I then mentioned the site,trying to recall exactly what I had read here, asking if she was familiar with it. She said no, but my instinct was that she was lying. Something about the way she looked when I said it, she looked surprised, then denial.