Vintage Sawmill Image

Folks:

Here is a great image showing a turn-of-the-twentieth-century sawmill located at Clementon, New Jersey:

Clementon Sawmill.jpg

Note the two steam tractors providing power to the mills and the loaded horse-drawn log carriage similar to the one that Woodjin found.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Very nice card Jerseyman! I appreciate you posting it.

Guy

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
A very interesting video that adds motion to Jerseyman's postcard. Some modern equipment has been added to the sawmill, but the majority of it is an antique. It is great to to see the gentlemen involving the youngsters with operation of the tractors. Enjoy the sounds!

Thanks Jerseyman! It is a great postcard.

A very interesting video that adds motion to Jerseyman's postcard. Some modern equipment has been added to the sawmill, but the majority of it is an antique. It is great to to see the gentlemen involving the youngsters with operation of the tractors. Enjoy the sounds!

Thanks Jerseyman! It is a great postcard.

Gibby:

You bring back some really great memories from the late 1980s and early 1990s, when my late friend Richard and I would make the twice-annual trek out Route 30 to the Rough and Tumble Museum in Kinzers, Pennsylvania, to engage all of our senses in the touch, sights, sounds, smells, and tastes of being around steam traction engines, hit-an-miss stationary engines, and a variety of other old equipment. To watch a steam-powered traction engine is almost a mystical, yea spiritual, experience as they possess the essence of life within them.

Thanks for the memories!

Best regards,
Jerseyman

I know Clementon had a Grist mill and a couple of water ran sawmills in the mid 1800s and a glass factory around 1824..Thats a neat picture of the portable sawmill setup

Right you are, Dogg! Here is a picture of the Clementon Lake (nee the millpond) with the old mill in the background:

Clementon Lake and Old Mill.jpg

And a close-up view of that mill:

Old Mill at Clementon.jpg

Along the Atlantic City Railroad tracks, you could find Schellinger’s steam-powered sawmill:

Schellinger's Sawmill, Clementon.jpg

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Reactions: joc and dogg57