Washington Tpke 745 acre thinning bid

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
"Approximately 1,204 cords of oak and 3,761 cords of pine are available for these three sections of the harvest. In addition to the areas above, all trees within 33 feet of the edge of the current road surface of Washington Turnpike will be removed. This area was not inventoried, but is estimated to contain approximately 1,000 cords of mixed pine and oak. The removal of stumps is not required. See attached map for locations of the projects."

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/forest/wash_turnpike_bid_1-15.pdf

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I would assume nobody bid the first time?

We should all get there soon and get photo's at various locations and have a "Then And Now" when the project is done.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I would assume nobody bid the first time?.

I think there was confusion over whether the stumps would have to be removed. Now THAT would add to the cost considerably.

I like how the contract is structured. You can bid that you will pay them, or that they will pay you.

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
Not that I'm an avid follower of the PPA or their website, is there any concern from them on this project?
I'm sure Jason Howell (or whatever name he is using) would have a better idea what their stand is on this but I think they would be in favor of it. Due to the lack of fire it is probably the only way to open up the canopy and create more diversity at the ground level of the forest.

Reactions: Broke Jeep Joe

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
I'm sure Jason Howell (or whatever name he is using) would have a better idea what their stand is on this but I think they would be in favor of it. Due to the lack of fire it is probably the only way to open up the canopy and create more diversity at the ground level of the forest.

In my opinion it will also create considerable damage and require a plan for remediation which may be in the contract, I admittedly have not read it yet. Its not like the tree cutter is going to walk in and trim 745 acres with pruning shears. They will create new in roads into the acreage that will invite uneducated irresponsible off road use, again in my opinion giving them (PPA or mosquito disease) another potential angle to support road closure.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
This is old news, too. I didn't hear a peep from the PPA complaining about this, and I've heard less and less from them about the pipelines.

I think this would be a pretty extreme way of fire suppression management, if that's what this is for.

Reactions: Broke Jeep Joe

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Does anyone dislike this plan? I don't see a problem with it. They are just taking it back to where it was years ago. Nothing historically to damage and we get a wider road.

Bill

Aug 10, 2015
I'd be interested to see who bids on this and who wins. I know some of the environmental groups are big on this as a means of economic support for their organizations. I wouldn't be surprised if they influenced a rebid to ensure that stump removal was not a prerequisite. I want to be clear though that these are just assumptions based upon my cynicism toward these groups from what I have experienced in recent years.
http://www.wolfenotes.com/2013/07/a...hip-funding-go-from-0-to-40-million-per-year/

Pinesbucks

Explorer
Apr 15, 2013
I think the road is perfectly fine the way it is. No reason to go cutting down more trees and tearing up perfectly good woods.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have no problem with that. As has been mentioned somewhere before ... is was that wide 40 years ago and has just grown in. The state wants the road back and so be it. Nice!

enormiss

Explorer
Aug 18, 2015
Atco NJ
I guess the bidding didnt go well?

"State Forest Service and Forest Fire Service will be working in this area to create a firebreak"

92 Blazer Jeff

Explorer
Aug 24, 2015
GLASSBORO,NJ
IMG_4136.JPG IMG_4137.JPG IMG_4138.JPG IMG_4139.JPG I was out buy batsto today the destruction has begun!!! :(

Last edited: