Webster's Second

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I had an appointment in another building where I work, and they had a dictionary in a stand....very old...1957 or so. I was pleased to find the genus of many plants inside, which is not easy to find today. Plus, there was something about it that Ireally liked. Just flipping through it was fun. So I went home and did some research. Webster's second edition of the International Dictionary of the English Language was their largest; 6" thick and about 3,250 pages. I found one in excellant condition on Ebay for R$49.99 plus a measly $4 shipping and scooped it up. They are usually $100 for excellant condition. Mine is published in 1947.

I love it, and became immediately attached to it. It has a wonderful old smell, and is chock full of history and has a sense of permanence about it. Many have said.."gee, you could have just looked up words on the internet". No, it's just not the same thing. I really feel I gained something in my life by latching on to this. I highly recommend it.

IMG_6518.jpg

IMG_6519.jpg

IMG_6520.jpg

Reactions: Trailwalker

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
I am a bit enamored of the old books since I suspect they are more academically challenging than what is in print today. A book also slows down our fast paced life where almost everything is instant. When I saw your second photo, I could smell that book scent and hear the slight woosh of a page turned. Cool purchase! Are there any old notes on any of the pages?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Are there any old notes on any of the pages?

I haven't hit one yet Gibby. Do you see the tissue paper between the photos in the second picture above? So far all of that is vitrually unwrinkled throughout the book, so this dictionary has been on the shelf most of its life--no college kids thumbing through it and writing.."I love Betsy" or "Kilroy was here".

There is another for sale right now for less than this one....but some idiot cut a few of the flag symbols out. Even though it was a little cheaper, I just could not do it.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I love old books myself, but this thread makes me feel that we're in the minority: http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/threads/farewell-to-borders.7415/#post-87239

I have never purchased an e-book and doubt that I ever will. No interest in the Kindle, but Mark seems to have some mixed feelings ;)

Kindle + Amazon means I never visit a bookstore again. Maybe a little sad, since I used to love book stores (especially used book stores), but on the other hand so much more convenient that it makes up for the sadness.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
I love old books myself, but this thread makes me feel that we're in the minority: http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/threads/farewell-to-borders.7415/#post-87239

I have never purchased an e-book and doubt that I ever will. No interest in the Kindle, but Mark seems to have some mixed feelings ;)

Oh I do have mixed feelings, and though I used to haunt used book stores and estate sales I don't much anymore. I have too much crap as it is. In any case, I draw a line between books I buy to read, and books I buy to own. Books that I just want to read I buy on the Kindle if I can. But I am still open to running across the occasional handsome volume for my shelves.

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
A beautiful find, Bob! There's something about old books that the coolest Kindle can never touch: the feel of fragile, foxed pages; the sight of an owner's looping signature and ancient date; the sense of holding a scrap of history in your hands.

Hang onto that one!
Glo