Welcome to lidar.boydsmaps.com!

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Update 5/3/2023: The code for this old site is being updated to use the new boydsmaps elevation format and will re-launch soon, with full coverage of New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Delaware, Connecticut and Rhode Island and partial coverage of Virginia, West Virginia, New York and Massachussets. See this post on page 8 for more information.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry, but lidar.boydsmaps.com shut down permanently on December 2, 2021 and no longer exists, so links to this old site will no longer work but I have arranged for them to open a comparable new map centered on Apple Pie Hill.

However, as of 1/15/2022 full 3d LIDAR coverage of Southern New Jersey is now available via the boydsmaps web app, here are views of Apple Pie Hill on each map

Monochrome shaded terrain

https://boydsmaps.com/#16.99/39.807046/-74.589179/mbx3dsolid/-62.40/83.80

Color shaded terrain
https://boydsmaps.com/#16.99/39.807046/-74.589179/mbx3dshader/-57.00/84.20

NJ 2007 Aerial Imagery
https://boydsmaps.com/#17.83/39.807681/-74.589168/mbx3dortho/-128.40/84.20
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Original post from January 31, 2020 follows)

After four months and thousands of lines of code... the all-new LIDAR site is finally online!

(old link removed)

Coverage is pretty limited at this point (I've been concentrating on the code) but I'll be adding more maps every few days. Keep in mind however, that each little grid square in this image represents four separate maps and takes 30 to 60 minutes to create. So this will be an ongoing project.

coverage.jpg

It features a new "dark topo" which is based on my HD Map of the Pines but with a simpler style designed for clarity. For example, the contour lines have been simplified since the LIDAR imagery tells you everything about elevation. I have also removed landcover to make openspace boundaries more clear. Here's a comparison.

topo.jpg

When it comes to LIDAR terrain detail, you can easily see the advantages. Here's a comparison with NJPB maps (click these images to see them full-size)

njpb.jpg

Also a huge upgrade from my LIDAR HD map. But this is only part of the story, because the map controls let you bring out the details that interest you.

boyd.jpg

But the real fun comes when you switch to 3d view (these links may take awhile to open...)

(old link removed)

eagle-ortho.jpg

(old link removed)

eagle-shader.jpg

(old link removed)

springhill.jpg

Use the question-mark button to access the helpfile on the site. A fair amount of work has gone into the documentation, but there's still room for improvement. You can also use this link to directly access the helpfile

(old link removed)

Each map also includes a page of detailed information/metadata that can be accessed by clicking the button that looks like a document.

(old link removed)

When you share links to the site (like the ones above) they include all your custom settings. Use the sharing button for this - you can't just copy the web browser address like other sites. You'll also see a number of other options in the sharing menu, like opening the same map on other sites or getting the coordinates of your position. And a new feature lets you download a Garmin-compatible waypoint that can be used on your GPS, in Basecamp or any program that opens .gpx files.

Here's a quick tutorial to help you understand the basic concepts:

(old link removed)

So, enjoy, and play with the controls to discover the endless possibilities!

Last edited:

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Boyd, it would greatly improve macro navigation and to enable toggling to and from specific spots using a good aerial like the 2007. I know a cedar savanna I wanted to see in this LIDAR in Penn state forest, and I'd recognize it in an instant if I had the 2007 to toggle back and forth from to ensure I get to the exact spot I want to see under LIDAR. A topo is good for general location, but really need that aerial too.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Not sure if I understand. Are you sayiing you'd like to have an option to use an aerial in the map index? If so, yes, I considered doing that, but just didn't want to add further complexity to the code when I had so much else to do. Might do that later, but at the present time I will be conentrating on making more detailed maps instead of changing the way the site works.

You could use the regular site if you want to pick locations from aerials. Although I don't have a function to go directly to the 3d map from there, and won't be adding it anytime soon, it's still quite simple. Pick a spot on the regular map, then click the coordinates button. The results are already selected, so just type control-C (or command-C on the Mac) and copy them to the clipboard

Screen Shot 2020-02-02 at 7.31.07 AM.png

Now, on the LIDAR site, click the coordinates button and press control-V (command-V on the Mac) to paste them into the box.

Screen Shot 2020-02-02 at 7.31.55 AM.png

If the location is available, you will be taken to it.

Screen Shot 2020-02-02 at 7.37.07 AM.png

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
For consistency, the map index should have the same options as the detailed maps (aerial, shader, solid and topo). There should also be a way to link to a location on the basemap. Eventually I'll look into making these changes.

If you are viewing an aerial basemap, it makes sense to be taken to the high-res aerial map when you select a location. That's fine, but these maps take awhile to load. That's why I send you to the topo hi-res map now, it's much faster, so you can be sure you're in the right place before loading a full map. The basemap is only accurate to +/- 40 feet, so it is not a very precise method of positioning.

Last edited:

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Thanks! There's a screenshot in my first post at the top of this page that shows the current coverage. But that's going to change as I add more maps. It's pretty easy to just go to the site and drag the map around. You'll get immediate feedback as you move. When you go outside the coverage area, you'll see this.

Screen Shot 2020-02-02 at 5.33.10 PM.png

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Just uploaded 16 more tiles. Am getting a little faster at this - about 15-20 minutes per tile - but it's still not easy. :) The new coverage goes from Chatsworth to Coyle Field, which is as far as I can go East since there's no 1-meter LIDAR for Ocean County,

Coyle Field:
https://lidar.boydsmaps.com/#x113y040/ortho/633/444/952/395/0/439/2000/627/-2000/100/1.5/3d

coyle.jpg

Decou Pond:
https://lidar.boydsmaps.com/#x111y040/shader/7/1171/0/7/1/0/-2000/490/-2000/89/2.5/2d

decouPond.jpg

Compare this to the NJPB LIDAR of the same location. ;)

https://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.813459&lng=-74.453668&z=16&type=lidar&gpx=

Also made another small change to the software. It now displays elevations to two decimal points. That is not very significant in and of itself, but the old integer elevations sometimes gave the impression that there was no change when you made small movements, and now you can see there's some variation.

Last edited:

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Speaking of flat.... have a look at this location. Nothing to see here, right?

Now look at the same spot in 3d (if you're new to the site - use the scroll wheel to zoom and hold the right mouse button to rotate the view). This is a good example of how a two dimensional map doesn't tell the whole story.

The LIDAR imagery that I use is from 2015, so I thought that might explain the difference. But I don't see any real clues in the 2015 imagery, although some little trees have grown since 2007.

BTW, if you compare the quality of the 2007 vs 2015 aerials, I think you'll understand why I am using the older imagery. :)

Last edited:

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Yes, that is true to form. I've been there its sort of a borrow pit to grab sand for the bogs (I think). It's got mounds of sand in there with invasive plants/weeds taking over.

Reactions: Boyd

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
  • Love
Reactions: manumuskin

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Good stuff Boyd. I was able to distinguish the little fen I found. I amped the exaggeration up all the way, and you can clearly see it now. An almost imperceptible dip in the landscape, but it is there.

1581045122079.png

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Boyd, a fen is a type of wetland affected by groundwater. A low area where water can be visible at the surface, but usually covered by plants. Ours are covered in sphagnum moss. Ours are termed "poor" fens because the pinelands don't have a lot of nutrients for plants, unlike most fens in areas with more productive soils due to higher nutrient and mineral content.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Thanks! There are spots like that in my own lowlands. When I first saw your comment, I thought you said you were "able to distinguish the little fern". :D

Last edited:
Reactions: bobpbx