Wells Mills Plane Crash

Dave 1213

Jan 9, 2017
Woodland, NJ
Hello Everyone,

First, want to say Happy New Year to everyone and thanks for having this site. This is my first post but been visiting the site for awhile now. I'm asking for any information in regards as to where the crash site might be located near Wells Mills Park. I searched through the forums and looking for any coordinates that might aid me in finding it. I have recently visited the Bear Swamp Hill site as wells as the F-4 site and have my sights on visiting this one next. Information that I have found about the crash is that it was a F-51 Mustang (a variant of the P-51 mustang) from the NY Air National Guard and piloted by Lt. John Jelke and crashed July 28 1952 due to mechanical failure. Lt. Jelke was a highly decorated pilot from WW2 . Two years later in January of 1954 on a training mission from Westchester NY to Mobile Al, Lt. Jelke was involved in another accident somewehere near Mobile and to date his plane or body have never been discovered.
Any help would be greatly appriciated. Thanks in advance.
Dave

Dave 1213

Jan 9, 2017
Woodland, NJ
Hi dogg57. I've read that one and was just out there 3 weeks ago and found the landing gear. Amazed its still there after all this time but somebody took a part of the tire.

Attachments

• IMG_1559.JPG
    IMG_1559.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 397
Reactions: manumuskin

Dave 1213

Jan 9, 2017
Woodland, NJ
Dave, where did you hear about the Wells Mills crash? What supposedly happened? I never heard of it. I do remember about 8-10 years ago somebody crashed a few miles away, perhaps closer to route 72(?). It was a small private plane.

Edit: I found something on the forum about it. Must have missed this post: https://forums.njpinebarrens.com/threads/another-plane-crash-site.1559/
Hi Bobpbx. Thats the original post saw that got my interest. The link for the terraserver image wasn't working for me and hoping somebody was able to steer me in the right direction. i know its off one of the fire roads about 250 yards from Rt.532 but not sure which one. I found this today with the information about the plane.
https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/143461274/

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Hi dogg57. I've read that one and was just out there 3 weeks ago and found the landing gear. Amazed its still there after all this time but somebody took a part of the tire.

That piece of tire has been deteriorating since the 70s. There was a small hole then.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Hi Bobpbx. Thats the original post saw that got my interest. The link for the terraserver image wasn't working for me and hoping somebody was able to steer me in the right direction. i know its off one of the fire roads about 250 yards from Rt.532 but not sure which one. I found this today with the information about the plane.
https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/143461274/

Dave, do you still have that kind of access to the historical records in APP? I'd be interested if you could look up the information of the train wreck at Chatsworth on Oct 17, 1966. It would likely be reported on Oct 18, 1966, so that would be the date to look up (or the 19th if not found on the 18th). I moved to Pemberton Township in 1966, so I'm interested to hear about it. I was a mere 6 miles away. If you find it, please summarize it...we are not allowed to cut and paste that kind of material due to rights held by the publisher. Here is where the wreck is mentioned.

https://forums.njpinebarrens.com/threads/ive-been-working-on-the-railroads.10996/page-2

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
Sorry, I haven't specifically looked for that site since the last mention of it here. Too many other distractions! I have casually looked for it while walking those lines while doing burns, but it wasn't my highest priority at the time. I can hopefully re-discover the impact site (as well as see if there is any more frost-heaved debris) in the next few days now that I'm reminded of it and there is renewed interest. I can say that it was very slight, and it would never have even attracted my attention if Cliff had not pointed it out and given me the story. Hopefully it hasn't become harder to find. I will post as soon as I have more info. I would also like to thank Dave 1213 for the additional information on the crash.

Dave 1213

Jan 9, 2017
Woodland, NJ
Dave, do you still have that kind of access to the historical records in APP? I'd be interested if you could look up the information of the train wreck at Chatsworth on Oct 17, 1966. It would likely be reported on Oct 18, 1966, so that would be the date to look up (or the 19th if not found on the 18th). I moved to Pemberton Township in 1966, so I'm interested to hear about it. I was a mere 6 miles away. If you find it, please summarize it...we are not allowed to cut and paste that kind of material due to rights held by the publisher. Here is where the wreck is mentioned.

https://forums.njpinebarrens.com/threads/ive-been-working-on-the-railroads.10996/page-2
I just did a search on the crash and came across it. It took several days and guess it was the way i worded it in the search that i came across. One I got the pilots name i did searches on him and came up with most of the info. I will search about the train wreck later on today and let you know if i come up with anything

Dave 1213

Jan 9, 2017
Woodland, NJ
Sorry, I haven't specifically looked for that site since the last mention of it here. Too many other distractions! I have casually looked for it while walking those lines while doing burns, but it wasn't my highest priority at the time. I can hopefully re-discover the impact site (as well as see if there is any more frost-heaved debris) in the next few days now that I'm reminded of it and there is renewed interest. I can say that it was very slight, and it would never have even attracted my attention if Cliff had not pointed it out and given me the story. Hopefully it hasn't become harder to find. I will post as soon as I have more info. I would also like to thank Dave 1213 for the additional information on the crash.
Thanks GermanG. I would be intertested with any info you may come up with.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
I had time for a short walk yesterday but did not immediately re-locate the crash site. As I said previously, the indentation in the ground was slight, and I am hoping time hasn't eased the edges and made it harder to find. I'll look again when I have a bit more time. That tract might get burned this winter, which may make it more visible. Until then, I've posted a photo of what I've picked up on the surface there in the past.
WellsCrash.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I wonder if Stu is still around. He was a good explorer.