Wet Forest - Formerly Known as Dry Forest

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Heavy rain here overnight, ended around 7:30 AM, storm appears to have moved out for now and they scaled back the forecast. Looks like a real mess in North Jersey and NYC though with as much as 6" in some areas and it's not over yet. My daughter is working from home today but granddaughter has to take the subway home from school in Manhattan at 5:00. The flood warning is over at 2:30 there, so hopefully things will be getting back to normal.

Reactions: Teegate
Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
Heavy rain here overnight, ended around 7:30 AM, storm appears to have moved out for now and they scaled back the forecast. Looks like a real mess in North Jersey and NYC though with as much as 6" in some areas and it's not over yet. My daughter is working from home today but granddaughter has to take the subway home from school in Manhattan at 5:00. The flood warning is over at 2:30 there, so hopefully things will be getting back to normal.
Hope she made out OK. On the news, they showed the water streaming down to the subways and underground transportation stations.

Reactions: Boyd

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
They were lucky - she hung out with friends for a short while after school and her train was actually back in service by then, made it home fine and no problems there either. I read that this is the most rain to fall on NYC in a day (not sure if that's true though). JFK got 8", about 6" in Manhattan and as much as 9" in parts of Long Island. Only got about 2" at my home.

Last edited:
Reactions: this_is_nascar

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Last 7 days cumulative rainfall.

wet_week.png

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
They are forecasting a real wash-out on Saturday with as much as 3 inches...

Saturday: Rain, mainly after 2pm. High near 60. East wind 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New precipitation amounts between three quarters and one inch possible.

Saturday Night: Rain and possibly a thunderstorm. Low around 47. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New rainfall amounts between 1 and 2 inches possible.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Forecast looks a little better now with rain arriving later and a bit lower totals. The NWS has a map with more information, the little thumbnail shows under "weather story" on the Mount Holly site. But it's not there when you click on it, hopefully they'll fix it later.

Saturday: Rain, mainly after 2pm. High near 59. Light and variable wind becoming east 5 to 10 mph in the morning. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.

Saturday Night: Rain. Low around 47. Northeast wind 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New precipitation amounts between 1 and 2 inches possible

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It looks like just before 10AM it should start raining here.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Intermittent sprinkles started around 10:30 here, ground is barely wet so far, looks like it will be awhile before any heavy rain arrives. I was able to get out for an hour-long walk before it started. :)

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004

The mid-Atlantic and far southern New England are also likely to see more precipitation than normal this winter. El Niño typically favors a less-active, west-to-east storm track across the northern US, but the Northeast will still be prone to snowy nor’easters. During an El Niño winter, nor’easters can get “juiced up” by abundant tropical moisture and deliver “two to three big snowstorms” on average, according to Jon Gottschalck, chief of the Operational Prediction Branch of NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Was out early this morning and it was really foggy in Blackwood and Turnersville. When we left home it was 31 here without fog and my car window was frozen solid. Got home and it was 36.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I had all day last Saturday to myself and got sick Friday night and was sick through Sunday. I had an outing planned where I needed to cross a stream. I felt it would be low enough to cross but after this rain that is forecasted I may have to figure out a new way to get there. I was hoping the heavy rain would hold off until after my time off at Christmas.