Wet Forest - Formerly Known as Dry Forest

RJG

Scout
Nov 19, 2023
Sea Isle City, NJ
I have to tip my hat to Atlantic City Electric. We lost power at 10:30pm on the night of the storm. I notified them of the outage, but the wind along the coat was blowing 40-50mph and the rain was coming down in sheets, so I didn’t think they would send anybody out until the following day. They had the power back on in less than two hours.

Reactions: Boyd and Teegate

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Their smartphone app used to be terrible, but it's pretty good now. Last two outages, they already knew my power was out before I could report it. My power went out at 7:30 during this last storm, back on at 8:30. Was hardly worth the effort of setting up the generator, but I assumed it would be off much longer.

They have updated the forecast for tonight, less rain than before. Now the winds look to be about the same as last time.... here we go again! :siren:

wind3.png

rain.png

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
From the NWS, I have to worry about that pine tree behind me.

"The immediate Atlantic coastal strip is forecast to experience sustained winds
of 30 to 40 mph for a few hours, which combined with potential
for gusts up to 60 mph is enough to warrant an upgrade to a High
Wind Warning for this area. Due to extremely saturated soil
moistures, the forecast winds will have the potential to uproot
trees even at slightly lower wind speeds should the observed
winds fall short of the deterministic forecast."

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
When we left the house this morning it was dark and cloudy but 59 degrees. By the time we reached the Tub Mill Branch near Harrisville the sun was out and it was a great few hours hiking. Windy and warm. On the way home as we came west the clouds came back and it was raining. Tub Mill Road was flooded for the first mile and I fell into a rut in the road and got soaked.

Nobody out there except this person spying on us.

IMG_9105a.jpg

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
It's been getting really wet around here with the recent rains, we had almost 3 inches over the weekend and getting some more today. Looks like there's a lot more on the way... is it time to start the "Wet Forest" thread yet? Be careful out there, the major roads in Peaslee that are normally nice and solid are getting some very "squishy" spots with sort of an oatmeal texture. :siren:

Screen Shot 2024-03-05 at 11.41.47 AM.png

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Quite a turn-around, right? I have mud all over my undercarriage and was thinking of taking it down to the powerwash in Waretown. Maybe I'll just drive around the hard roads tomorrow afternoon.

Reactions: Boyd

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Yeah, those numbers seem to be on the low side of the individual forecasts. They are predicting between 1.5" and 2.75" for my area today but the total on that map for the whole week is 2" to 3". Guess we'll find out soon enough.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The weather on TV was saying Burlington County would have issues. I guess Pemberton will be the test.

Reactions: Boyd

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
We had a lot of rain here yesterday, was out around 2:00 PM and roads were flooding in the Mays Landing area. Looking better this morning (so far). The rain this weekend might not be as bad as they were suggesting before.

Screen Shot 2024-03-07 at 9.21.13 AM.png