Wet Forest - Formerly Known as Dry Forest

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I just drove home from Marlton, and the storms seem to be just sitting there in the southern half of the state, like SW of Maurice River and WNW of Winslow.

Reactions: Boyd

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Looked like one was headed for me, so I rushed my chores and got out by 3:00. Sky was getting dark, distant thunder... but it completely missed me. Was out until 5:30, same thing happened a few times but not a drop of rain, storms are all to the West... so far. Looks like some cells heading into DelMarVa now but hard to know what will become of them.

Screen Shot 2024-08-18 at 5.41.28 PM.png

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We had a storm in the night and the thunder was really loud. Woke me right up.

Reactions: Boyd

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
We got a little rain overnight but I never heard it, less than 1/10" of water in the wheelbarrow this morning. Just had some rain here now, was out in the woods, sky was mostly blue, sun was shining but a little cloud right overhead drizzled on me for awhile. A big oak kept me pretty dry. That passed, but a bigger storm moved in so I watched that one from the porch. :)

There's a line of storms moving into Cape May County right now, hard to tell how far North they will go.

Screen Shot 2024-08-19 at 7.00.29 PM.png

Reactions: Teegate

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Only 46 degrees here this morning. Will be warming up over the next few days, but they're only forecasting mid 80's. Really can't complain about this kind of weather in late August. :)

Reactions: bobpbx

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Only 46 degrees here this morning. Will be warming up over the next few days, but they're only forecasting mid 80's. Really can't complain about this kind of weather in late August. :)
Yesterday in Cape May was so nice I was in the woods and Marsh for 4 straight hours, with not even a greenhead nor mosquito around (IN A MARSH!)

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Screen Shot 2024-08-26 at 3.32.31 PM.png

Different kind of pattern this afternoon, storms are coming out of the Northwest and moving through NJ towards the Southeast. So far, they are all North of me, but not by much! :siren:

Screen Shot 2024-08-26 at 3.34.49 PM.png

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
There is no surface water to be found. The sprung on SCway almost dry, and the ditches on the Batsto Fireline rd coming from Constable have 0 water in them. That was not the case this time last year.
How’s Rockwood Road? I might try a short trip down there if it’s that dry. It’s been a crazy summer and we just made it out for the first time in a while

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
We got a good soaking down here last night, woke me up around 1:00 AM with lots of thunder, lightning and pounding rain. Appeared to be a narrow line of storms passing right over me for a couple hours. They scraped the roads in Peaslee earlier this week - which surprised me because they weren't so bad before. But they did more harm than good by scraping the packed dirt/sand off the top and exposing the softer stuff below. Was especially bad in puddles that got filled in with the loose scrapings, they were like oatmeal.

I went in to off-road mode and was glad to have 4wd. I was the first car to come through after the rain, and left some pretty big ruts on flat areas that looked fine but were actually very soft. Was glad to get back to the pavement!

Reactions: bobpbx

Wildland937

Scout
Aug 24, 2016
New Germany
How’s Rockwood Road? I might try a short trip down there if it’s that dry. It’s been a crazy summer and we just made it out for the first time in a whil
How’s Rockwood Road? I might try a short trip down there if it’s that dry. It’s been a crazy summer and we just made it out for the first time in a while
Its Rockwood. It’s not bad for the most part, but beat up in the usual places by the usual suspects. Otherwise it’s very dry and sandy and can be made in mostly 2wd as of today…

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Special Weather Statement
National Weather Service Mount Holly NJ
228 PM EDT Sat Sep 7 2024

Sussex-Warren-Morris-Hunterdon-Somerset-Middlesex-
Western Monmouth-Mercer-Salem-Gloucester-Camden-
Northwestern Burlington-Ocean-Cumberland-Atlantic-Cape May-
Southeastern Burlington-Philadelphia-Lower Bucks-
Including the cities of Newton, Washington, Morristown,
Flemington, Somerville, New Brunswick, Freehold, Trenton,
Pennsville, Glassboro, Camden, Cherry Hill, Moorestown,
Mount Holly, Jackson, Millville, Hammonton, Cape May Court House,
Wharton State Forest, Philadelphia, Morrisville, and Doylestown

A line of showers will produce brief, locally heavy downpours and
wind gusts of 35 to 45 mph as they move through New Jersey over
the next hour or so. A rumble of thunder is also possible.