What Globalpbs can do about pine beetles!

Status
Not open for further replies.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
You folks are unmerciful. Here's a new poster sharing some info about some new technology that has the potential to do as much, if not more for the natural world than the elimination of DDT. I doubt any company would be happy if one of their employees shared how their technology works on a forum.

And if it can eliminate human pests, so much the better :)

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
This is all well and good, I'm all for reducing pesticides. I'm just not particularly impressed with people who come to the site with a specific agenda, and don't contribute in any other way.

Bluelinerx, what do you know about the Pine Barrens? Do you live in the area? Do you have other things to share which will be of interest to us? Or do you only want to talk about this one issue? So far, it seems like you are just seeking some free publicity.... isn't that what they call "viral marketing"?

But maybe I'm being a little too harsh... perhaps I have the wrong idea about you. If so, then please accept my apologies. Why not surprise me and start another thread about your favorite places in the pine barrens and share some of your experiences?

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
I think Bob is expressing a very healthy sense of skepticism. I'm just as skeptical. The website is professionally done and well-written, so you're not Nigerian scam artists. It is full of the kind of prose favored by technology companies that are long on vision and short on customers. Nothing wrong with that. I've founded technology companies and written prose just like it :).

There are no pictures of production sensors as far as I can see. There is one picture of an ASIC (or maybe it as an FPGA) in a mounting package, next to a dime. As described, the feature set of this product would require sensors, signal acquisition and processing, power supply, satellite or CDMA/GSM connectivity, and a weatherproof housing. I think some more stuff needs to be wrapped around that chip.

On the business end you talk about pest management affiliates, but I don't see a list of those, so assume you haven't signed any, or many, up at this point. That strategy is curious. I assume it is intended to generate a revenue stream from pest controllers to whom your device feeds business, however it places you in the classic network bind: you need both ends of the value chain to buy in without knowing whether the other will. If the device works you should just market it to property owners and managers with a little box that lights up when the sensor detects something. They can then contact the pest controller of their choice.

Overall I think your intentions are honest, the product is probably very developmental at this point, and the most you can expect from posts like these is to generate some buzz. It's not spamming, but it is a form of it, so be aware that you may not always be met with open arms.

Status
Not open for further replies.