What has happened to Friendship?

suresue592003

Explorer
Apr 4, 2004
Browns Mills, NJ
I went to Friendship yesterday the first time since the beginning of last summer. To my horror I found the terrain permantly destoryed. All the rye grass has been burned similar to Batsto. Mowers were then used even in some of the foundation holes causing some leveling. Foundation stone (alot) has been removed. Deep mower tracks can bee seen throughtout the area. Most natural plants and bushes are now gone, many of the yucca have disappeared. These tracks do not look like quads, though quad tracks can be seen in the usual sandy areas. Even across the road where the main house once stood, the terrain has been vastly disturbed. Alot of the indentations which showed where several buildings once stood, have been flated out. Needless to say, I literally left there in tears. Sadly, I now know how I must end my book. I finally no longer feel a need to go back. The place has beens so cleaned up, one can't help to wonder what is coming next. It looks like a park in the making. Has anyone been there lately and noticed this change.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I was there last weekend. I noticed that the cellar holes had been cleaned out. I have to say I don't mind the rye grass being gone -- it was nice to get a perspective of the town without the grass.

CRW_0537.JPG

^ I didn't think that was a mower, it looked more like a car to me.

aac.jpg

^ Before, 1998

CRW_0554.JPG

^ After, 2008

aal.jpg

^ Before, 1998

CRW_0542.JPG

^ After, 2008

aah.jpg

^ Before, 1998

CRW_0536.JPG

^ After, 2008

whitingrider

Explorer
Jun 28, 2007
Whiting
Shuresue,
You have got to write your book. Even just write the rough draft, I'm sure I'm not alone feeling that we could help you polish it as a final product. Your memories are going to be all that is left after time takes its toll on Friendship.
Tom

suresue592003

Explorer
Apr 4, 2004
Browns Mills, NJ
Thank you Tom for your support. Here is an update on my book.
I am 3/4 finished with an editor I work with who lives in Florida. I have already contacted Plexus Publishing who immediately sent me their guidelines on submission. I am almost finished with the guidelines. I have set dates to have this done. Everything to be submitted to Plexus (guidelines and full story) no later then by the end of this year.
I also posted on Barry's website about my recent visit to Friendship. I got some very interesting replys. You might want to take a peek.
Sue

Shuresue,
You have got to write your book. Even just write the rough draft, I'm sure I'm not alone feeling that we could help you polish it as a final product. Your memories are going to be all that is left after time takes its toll on Friendship.
Tom

Jello454

May 30, 2004
Piscataway NJ
Friendship has been like that for a few months. I was down there about late Feb showing some friends around and came upon the town with no grass at all!!!! I was very shocked and thought that the weather had taken the vegitation down until I discovered the tire tracks all around. It was very odd looking to see all of this as I was not expecting this.

My only question is to why would someone have cut the grass away????