Where is Calico Ridge?

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Ed,

You are right: It's on the Swago River at Martha Pond. Here is what Parnes says about Calico Ridge in Paddling the Jersey Pines Barrens:

"The pond is an open area dotted with cedar- and bush-covered islands of assorted sizes. Pines and cedars crowd the shore. Because it is extremely shallow, one must pick one's way through underwater grasses. Following the right shore seems as good a route as any; it occasionally goes around an island that blocks the view, but otherwise the scenery is quite open. After the second island a canal that was once used to withdraw water from the pond can be seen on the left. The pond narrows and broadens several times as one canoes past more islands, and then it becomes very wide, and the islands turn into grass-covered sand bars. On the outside bend of a sharp right turn, there is a cleared area that leads up a sand "staircase" to Calico Ridge. It was formerly a state camp but now may be used as a rest stop in the event of a strong head wind. The water is still very shallow, and it contains many tree stumps as well as sand bars. The pond soon bears left, with the deepest water near the right shore. Muskrats and sandpipers can sometimes be seen, and numerous pitcher plants grow along the left shore. In a few minutes the pond ends as the river makes an abrupt right turn."

Reactions: glowordz

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Ed,

It is right here.

http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.68322348301806&lng=-74.48597766458988&z=21&type=h&gpx=

Years ago there was a state campground there but I would have to assume it was too far to get to and maintain so they abandoned it. It is a really nice place to visit. Al and I were all around that location looking for stones and came up with a large one. There is a huge puddle on the way there so most likely you will have to walk to it. I would suggest you try and visit there when you can.

Guy

Reactions: glowordz

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Here is the puddle.

IMG_4122.JPG

A hole near where I marked on the map.

IMG_4123.JPG

IMG_4124.JPG

The view from the ridge. There is an old photo online somewhere showing that ridge when it was a campground.

IMG_4125.JPG

And the stone.

IMG_4126.JPG

Reactions: John and glowordz

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I see they say the ridge is on the Oswego. I guess we are discussing a different place.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
They must be calling a ridge along the Oswego the place. Maybe that was the campground since it would be perfect along the river. In any event, I like the place Al and I visited. I would not doubt that this place really is Calico.

Guy

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I agree, but that is not Calico Ridge obviously.

I did a little research on this. Calico Ridge is, in fact, a geographically designated ridge extending 6 meters in height along the eastern bank of Martha's pond. It is less a specifically named spot, than it is a natural occurence. While Behr's spot is south of Martha's pond, it could still be part of the geological ridge. I have been there, as I am sure many of us have, and it is very, very high.

After reading Parnes description of the old state campsite, I would conclude that it was here http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.68525668220508&lng=-74.5059084892273&z=19&type=h&gpx=
I bet that is the location of the old photo from the Batsto Citizen's Gazette as well. The islands in the phot0 complement the aerial photography. historical aerials suggest it might have been in operation in the '60's

Jeff

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
Ed, I can tell you with 100% certainty that Behr was referring to this spot and the sandy bank slightly to the north. He told about it as we drove past after a PBX hike years ago.

http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.67495383476372&lng=-74.51429843902588&z=19&type=h&gpx=

Jeff
That's a great swimming hole, Jeff. I usually see a lot of locals and paddlers hanging out there in the warm season. I think theres still a rope swing, or at least there was last year. First time I did the Oswego I saw this spot and have since driven back there numerous times just to hang by the river.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek