Where is the biggest pine tree?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

Many of us have come across some very large pine trees in the pines, but we have not really come up with definitive measurements of them. So on our outing on Saturday we revisited and measured the pine tree in the upper Oswego area that we found two weeks before, and it measured 85 inches in circumference. We measured it about 3 feet off the ground.

So if you come across any and have a way of measuring it, post it's size, and lets see who actually has visited the largest pine tree.

To refresh your memory, here is the one we found. If I visit it again, I will take a photo of it being measured.

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/~teegate/5302004/IMG_3495.jpg

:parry:

Guy

B

BarryC

I can think of 2 locations with one or more giant Pitch Pines. There may be a third location, but I can't remember it right now.
I will get a tape measure and go back to those 2 locations as soon as possible. Great idea, measuring them. Thanks.
Barry

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Barry,

Don't rush. The next time you are there you can check on it. I just thought it would be interesting to see what we all find.

Guy

B

BarryC

Yeah, but I really want to. :)
When I see those trees I always wish I could measure them. I just wish I could remember where the third location was.
TeeGate said:
Barry,

Don't rush. The next time you are there you can check on it. I just thought it would be interesting to see what we all find.

Guy

Here is the pine with KenDawg (the pine is the one smiling) standing next to it. I'm thinking this one is larger than the one near the Oswego. This tree is at Harrisville on the pond side.

abo.sized.jpg

Based on an assumption that Ken and Bob are the same height (and I think they are within an inch of each other) I sized and pasted Bob and his tree (to match Ken's ht.) over Ken and his tree. It appears that the trees are the same diameter. Of course this is not scientific (neither is measuring with a belt) and the Harrisville tree needs to be measured.

abp.sized.jpg

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
BEHR655 said:
An interesting note. I did not tilt the tree to line up. It seems the trees have the same slight lean.

One thing I notice on the Harrisville tree, is there a large knot where Ken is leaning his arm? I wonder if that knot is 30" up and should be discarded as part of the measurement.

B

BarryC

That's one of the ones I do remember.
And the one at Harrisville on the pond side, I had forgotten. And I think I found another over the winter also.
Oh well. Gotta go for now.
bruset said:
I remember a huge one at Nash's Cabin.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002

KenDawg

Scout
Aug 10, 2003
South Jersey
[/quote]Here is the pine with KenDawg (the pine is the one smiling) standing next to it. I'm thinking this one is larger than the one near the Oswego. This tree is at Harrisville on the pond side.
Barry,

Do you remember the one at Harrisville? I'll find the picture and post it.

Steve
Behr, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the Pine tree that is smiling next to me is at Nash's cabin. Very good work on the editing job.

KenDawg said:
Behr, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the Pine tree that is smiling next to me is at Nash's cabin. Very good work on the editing job.

Consider yourself corrected. We came upon the tree while looking at cellar holes at Harrisville on the pond side of the road. I remember about where it is so the next time I'm in the area I will measure it.

Steve

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We all need to add tape measures to our already bulging packs.

Guy

B

BarryC

If I'm remembering correctly the official height above ground for measuring circumference is 4½ feet. But if we all choose the same height above ground, that's close enough. Anyone know how big the state champion is?
Just to show how huge those things are, the Sequoia named General Sherman is just under 37 feet in diameter at ground level, but I can't remember what it is at 4½ feet above ground. Last I knew it was 272 feet tall, and the Coast Redwoods are much taller. Our trees are mere sticks compared to those.
bach2yoga said:
Ya'll are measuring from the same standards, right? Otherwise it's apples and oranges....

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/forestry/education/bigtrees/measuring.htm
http://www.americanforests.org/resources/bigtrees/measure.php

Curious to see how they compare with the national register...
Pinus rigida
New Hampshire 169" circumference
Georgia 142" circumference.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I remember reading a largest tree list that Bob Eisele had in his house.Me an his boy are good friends.The largest reporte pitch pine in NJ is located on the north side of route 72 east of manahawkin before you reach the marsh.I forget the exact location but it"s supposedly within sight of the road at least in winter.You have to be a member of some big tree club to get this list but it also listed the states biggest hickory as old hickory out to mays landing sand and gravel of 347 which is now dead as of about 15 years ago but i believe still standing.I personally know where a big pine is at the head of union lake in a massive laurel and briar swamp.i had to crawl down deer trails to reach this spot.I built a log cabin there back in 83 and it appears as though no one has ever found it thought it"s rotted thru now.made it outta unpeeled pine.didnt know any better.you cannot get back there in an upright position.this tree looked about as big arouns as the oswego tree and had to be eighty feet tall or better.never actually went to the one in manahawkin
Al

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
manumuskin said:
I remember reading a largest tree list that Bob Eisele had in his house.Me an his boy are good friends.The largest reporte pitch pine in NJ is located on the north side of route 72 east of manahawkin before you reach the marsh.I forget the exact location but it"s supposedly within sight of the road at least in winter.You have to be a member of some big tree club to get this list but it also listed the states biggest hickory as old hickory out to mays landing sand and gravel of 347 which is now dead as of about 15 years ago but i believe still standing.I personally know where a big pine is at the head of union lake in a massive laurel and briar swamp.i had to crawl down deer trails to reach this spot.I built a log cabin there back in 83 and it appears as though no one has ever found it thought it"s rotted thru now.made it outta unpeeled pine.didnt know any better.you cannot get back there in an upright position.this tree looked about as big arouns as the oswego tree and had to be eighty feet tall or better.never actually went to the one in manahawkin
Al

Al,

If you ever get to either one give it a measure. Thanks for the info.

Guy