Where is this?

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
A winner! You can actually drive right to that location from the north. I walked in from the other side which actually is not that easy.
that used to be one of my old fishing spots. The beaver lodges were not there then...at least not like that. One time I found a bunch of drug paraphernalia at the top of the hill just north before you descend to the old bridge and it kind of turned me off from fishing there as much. Nice area to be in at sunrise. Remember when a body was found there (the area) a bunch years back. I remember the location I think.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Back on 10/31/2004 Ben, Bob, Jessica and myself along with a few other members of the site at the time went looking for Paint Island Springs and Lahaway. Along the way we visited this hill that Bob posted the photo of.

http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=40.101750&lng=-74.427083&z=17&type=hybrid&gpx=

The rocks were huge there.

IMG_4472.JPG

Ben was later able to successfully find Paint Island Springs along Lahaway creek.

Never been there. Is it an area worth visiting someday(if not just for the huge sandstone)?

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
the cement slab (center/right) is reminiscent of a saw mill or machine base. I see bolts sticking out of it.
? ? ? the larger floor slab seems to be older for the main building (due to the 40+/- yr. red cedar growing out of the rectangular hole)....but the cinderblock/chimney/I-beams appear more recent ? Typical pines habitat but noticing the sycamore in the background.
just observations....no guesses. sorry.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
the cement slab (center/right) is reminiscent of a saw mill or machine base. I see bolts sticking out of it.
? ? ? the larger floor slab seems to be older for the main building (due to the 40+/- yr. red cedar growing out of the rectangular hole)....but the cinderblock/chimney/I-beams appear more recent ? Typical pines habitat but noticing the sycamore in the background.
just observations....no guesses. sorry.

Deep in the pines. Built between 1956 and 1962 if I'm reading Historical Aerials correctly.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Since I know where you were yesterday I may not be able to say anything. However, is this where you were? I tend to doubt that.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Since I know where you were yesterday I may not be able to say anything. However, is this where you were? I tend to doubt that.

No.

BTW, I said deep in the pines, but don't make too much out of that. All I meant was that I was not in some outlier town like Jackson or Hammonton or Tuckerton. It is not in the center of Wharton State Forest either.

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
Deep in the pines. Built between 1956 and 1962 if I'm reading Historical Aerials correctly.
Then it must have burned down or been demolished for that Juniperus to start growing around 1970. There are also 4 large vertical slabs in the back that look like a large piece of machinery was mounted.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Then it must have burned down or been demolished for that Juniperus to start growing around 1970. There are also 4 large vertical slabs in the back that look like a large piece of machinery was mounted.

I agree. If you look at it on historical aerials, it lasted less than 10 years if my interpretation is correct.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I believe you are on a road or close to a road taking that photo. Am I correct? I think I have viewed that on the way to your house?????

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I believe you are on a road or close to a road taking that photo. Am I correct? I think I have viewed that on the way to your house?????

Well, here's the thing about this road; a big clue. This foundation is pretty large, and is about 100 feet or slightly less from a road. It is very easily seen from the road in winter if you happen to be going slow or stopped for a moment. The road is a sand road and still able to be easily traveled "to a point where you must turn around". But my guess is that most people go right by this road because they know they will not get very far on it. Another clue; it's very likely more people knew about it years ago, but since they no longer use the road, they've forgotten all about it.

:)