Where is this?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
My moms newspaper gets thrown at the end of the driveway so I go there in the mornings first before heading out to the barrens. She sometimes is up when I get there and I stop in for a visit but this morning she did not open the door. So I was out way too early to the barrens this morning and had to sit in my car to wait for sunlight. Once I could see I headed here and found this. Where is it? Take notice a beaver took a toy car for a joyride and stopped in at the lodge for a visit.

I merged three photo's.

http://teegate.njpinebarrens.com/12212014/IMG_0578a.JPG

Reactions: John

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Sorry. This is in Lebanon.

Clue: Bob grew up in Presidential Lakes. If he climbed a tree and looked in the same direction I took the photo he could see his house a mile away.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Sorry. This is in Lebanon.

Clue: Bob grew up in Presidential Lakes. If he climbed a tree and looked in the same direction I took the photo he could see his house a mile away.

This bridge Guy?

lebBridge.JPG

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That is not the location but you are oh so close. Here is the sunrise view from your bridge.

IMG_0570.JPG

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
No that is not it. That bridge has some damage to it and for a while they had it taped off. But everyone kept going over it anyway. The board is just loose.

You are getting cold. You were much warmer the last time and the flow was on track.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Sorry. Much Colder.

My comment about the "flow" is a giveaway.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
A winner! You can actually drive right to that location from the north. I walked in from the other side which actually is not that easy.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Guy, nobody got my photo of the mountain with huge sandstone. Why don't you go ahead and reveal it so we can move on.

Back on 10/31/2004 Ben, Bob, Jessica and myself along with a few other members of the site at the time went looking for Paint Island Springs and Lahaway. Along the way we visited this hill that Bob posted the photo of.

http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=40.101750&lng=-74.427083&z=17&type=hybrid&gpx=

The rocks were huge there.

IMG_4472.JPG

Ben was later able to successfully find Paint Island Springs along Lahaway creek.

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
The explanation for the rocks' location should be interesting. Or, how did those huge rocks get there?

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
I think the name for the hill is Tabor Mountain or the Ivory Tower. It is a good example of invert topography. Iron-rich muck formed in an old river bottom. The river dried up several million years ago as the iron-rich muck hardened into ironstone. Now the river bottom was harder than the old banks, which being softer eroded away. The softer banks wasted away while the the ground beneath the hard capped land remained intact. This is a subtle badlands landscape, where ironstone boulders slowly travel down slope as the ground beneath them wastes away, in large part during permafrost thaw events.

S-M