GLASSBORO,NJ
Here's an easy one.
IMG_4621.JPG

Reactions: noboat

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That is a Jersey Central Milepost. Now that I have been thinking about this I will take a guess and say it is Milepost 86 and the sign represents the Blue Comet crash. Just a total guess. This would be along the tracks near the end of Apple Jack Road.

Milepost86.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I will stick my neck out and say I am correct. It has to be there. ;)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The accident happened "exactly" 152 feet east of that milepost. So if the sign is not at that location it is not "exactly" correct. :D I measured it off years ago with a tape measure and thought it was pretty cool to be standing at the exact spot where the rails were washed out.

It is interesting to note that the cap on the top of the milepost that is missing was stolen as you would suspect. The person who took it placed it in their back yard in Marlton. Unfortunately for him he was not able to get the bottom tubular metal portion of the true milepost 86 out of there so he stole a different one and used that. Nobody would be the wiser except he sent me a photo of it and obviously we know that I am correct. So if you ever see it on eBay (which I doubt will happen) ask for a lower price. :D

milepost86.jpg

Reactions: 92 Blazer Jeff

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The culvert did not wash out, it just could not handle the flow because of the amount of rain. The tracks washed out.

I have to believe it is the correct culvert looking at my photo.

IMG_5595.jpg

Reactions: 92 Blazer Jeff

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Have you visited Bridge 74 where Union Lake (Chatsworth Lake) drains into? After the washout where the Blue Comet crashed the flow of water at the bridge washed the bridge out. Men had visited the bridge on their way to the crash site and noticed the water level was high. The Union Lake dam eventually broke and the bridge washed out. You can still see the repairs that were done to the ground around the bridge to stabilize the embankment.